AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just finish colleges 2 years ago. Save enough money to buy me good system to listen to music. I do not like the quality of sound from mp3. Some of my co-workers recommend me SACD and blu-ray audio format.


I want to buy and collect discs from a format that has exellent sound but not going to be osoleted very soon.

Please let me know what is tha latest CD or DVCD or blu-ray or ??? format disc that should buy for collection.


I have listened to few SACD disc. I love the sound from these discs.

My music preference are:

- Classical

- Vocal

- Soft rock

- Jazz


Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
If you like classical and jazz then SACD may be the ticket. Some may say you're late to the game but I tend to disagree. SACD is making a comeback with a lot of reissues but they are somewhat expensive (I'm talking mostly jazz). Don't let this fact discourage you to look around and find some good issues cheap. I've found a whole bunch of jazz SACD in the used bins at music stores here in L.A. for less than 10 dollars each
.

Now as far as becoming obsolete soon, well that's another story and we all have different opinions. Some say that HD downloads are the future and the physical is a thing of the past, my opinion is that there's nothing like holding a piece of art/history in your hands, call it vinyl, CD/SACD/DVDA etc and going through the inserts, pictures, lyrics while listening to some great music
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts
I share your dislike of MP3, but find CDs sound superb when produced well. CDs are not obsolete, as there thus far is no direct replacement for them yet. There are many substitutes and pretenders, i.e., MP3, iTunes, etc., but they give up some quality as you noted. Something that is probably a good idea to investigate is some form of file-based music storage. The beauty of these devices is that they can accept CD files with no loss of quality, as well have access to higher resolution files from specialty labels like 2L who will sell you files. Do a search for "high resolution music server" and you'll come with good info like this .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchuot /forum/post/19649192


I want to buy and collect discs from a format that has exellent sound but not going to be osoleted very soon.

Please let me know what is tha latest CD or DVCD or blu-ray or ??? format disc that should buy for collection.

All formats become obsolete, without exception. There's no reason you have to limit yourself to one format though. It's about the music, not the format. There are a number of fine multi-format players around. The only real hitch with SACD is that you can't rip it and transfer files around like you might want to do with other formats. But it's a terrific format for music lovers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg
If that isn't an incentive to release music on SACD ...
It actually was the only reason for Sony to introduce it.


Among all formats SACD is the only you can't rip without specialized hardware. If you want protect yourself from getting stuck with unsupported format, avoid SACD. In all other cases you can grab files from media and convert them to any new format with relatively inexpensive or free software. There is no reason to buy same record again any time new format is introduced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg
If that isn't an incentive to release music on SACD ...
... and isolate the millions and millions of people with some form of PMP or other?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg
If that isn't an incentive to release music on SACD ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold
... and isolate the millions and millions of people with some form of PMP or other?
I'd think that dual-layer hybrid SACDs pretty much eliminate that issue.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchuot
All,

I just finish colleges 2 years ago. Save enough money to buy me good system to listen to music. I do not like the quality of sound from mp3. Some of my co-workers recommend me SACD and blu-ray audio format.


I want to buy and collect discs from a format that has exellent sound but not going to be osoleted very soon.

Please let me know what is tha latest CD or DVCD or blu-ray or ??? format disc that should buy for collection.


I have listened to few SACD disc. I love the sound from these discs.

My music preference are:

- Classical

- Vocal

- Soft rock

- Jazz


Thanks,
If like classical music then you won't be wanting for titles on SACD. I did a quick search and couldn't find any numbers, but I'd say classical releases dwarf all the other genres.


DVD Audio discs are nice because you can rip the tracks and use a computer front end to feed a USB based DAC up to 24/192, 2ch, of course. Multichannel requires a player or special setup on a PC.


Although, like Roger said, well produced and engineered CDs can sound great, even better than many hirez discs.


larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Blu-ray as an audio format allows you to enjoy lossless High Definition audio in full surround. If you're a fan of multichannel recordings (as I am..I cannot listen to stereo anymore), then get a player that will output all formats...like the Oppo BD-83 or the upcoming BD-93, which will include the ability to play 3D BD discs (my company is producing HD surround music projects shot in 3D and released on BD discs).


SACD and DVD-Audio are wonderful formats but are in their decline...Blu-ray might work as an audio only format, but I doubt it. The future is HD downloads, which it why I started iTrax.com. The problem is that many tracks on HD Download Tracks sites are, in fact, standard definition upconverted to HD specs. Buyer beware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX /forum/post/19656773


Blu-ray as an audio format allows you to enjoy lossless High Definition audio in full surround. If you're a fan of multichannel recordings (as I am..I cannot listen to stereo anymore), then get a player that will output all formats...like the Oppo BD-83 or the upcoming BD-93, which will include the ability to play 3D BD discs (my company is producing HD surround music projects shot in 3D and released on BD discs).


SACD and DVD-Audio are wonderful formats but are in their decline...Blu-ray might work as an audio only format, but I doubt it. The future is HD downloads, which it why I started iTrax.com. The problem is that many tracks on HD Download Tracks sites are, in fact, standard definition upconverted to HD specs. Buyer beware.

The problem with download is there is no cheap way to get these to my home theater/music system....as far as I know of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon /forum/post/19657766


The problem with download is there is no cheap way to get these to my home theater/music system....as far as I know of.

You need to do more research. Hi-Res files can be played by devices like PopcornHour, or burnt on DVD or BD using cheap or free tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/19661382


You need to do more research. Hi-Res files can be played by devices like PopcornHour, or burnt on DVD or BD using cheap or free tools.

Hi-Res Multi-channel?


If so.....you are right I haven't been looking in the right places. I just did a quick look around and still couldn't find something to allow burn to disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon /forum/post/19657766


The problem with download is there is no cheap way to get these to my home theater/music system....as far as I know of.

Hi-res FLAC or even WAV files can be played on a variety of machines. All you really need is a USB thumb drive, portable HDD or DNLA via Ethernet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon /forum/post/0


Hi-Res Multi-channel?


If so.....you are right I haven't been looking in the right places. I just did a quick look around and still couldn't find something to allow burn to disc.

See here http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh....php?tid=30186


To burn BD using FLAC source you need DTS-HD MA encoder, like Surecode. Then create disk image with MultiAVCHD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 /forum/post/19776561


Good read up here...

http://hometheaterreview.com/an-open...ray-for-music/

Yep, it's a shame that in the comments section "Hiro" (predominant SACD-proponent from the Steve Hoffman forums) exhausts Jerry's patience beyond belief with his ridiculous assertions that SACD hybrid should be the format we all get behind.


Nevermind that NONE of the major labels are going to release content in NA on them anymore, and that half of them will never support the format period.


Goof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue
Yep, it's a shame that in the comments section "Hiro" (predominant SACD-proponent from the Steve Hoffman forums) exhausts Jerry's patience beyond belief with his ridiculous assertions that SACD hybrid should be the format we all get behind.
Hi-rez music discs (i.e. SACD and DVD-Audio) haven't gone anywhere; even when the SQ (Sound Quality) is excellent (better than even an excellent CD) and the prices became moderately reasonable after a few years; not to mention that many discs are still available at reasonable prices.


Hence, if you want to get some hi-rez music experience, at moderate prices, first look for SACD and/or DVD-Audio discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue
Nevermind that NONE of the major labels are going to release content in NA on them anymore, and that half of them will never support the format period.
What makes you think that hi-rez *disc* sales will ever take off? I don't see it happening; certainly not when the BD biz charges high prices for those discs that can be bought as CD for less money.


And even if BD music discs do finally match CD disc prices (unlikely any time soon IMO), I still don't see BD music disc sales taking off. People are willing to buy multichannel (MC) sound for movies but continue to avoid buying MC music discs.


FWIW, I've bought more than half my SACD disc collection from amazon. I did a generic search in the "music" department for SACD. Current result of that is 6,833 results, only some of which are SACD discs. Buy used when it makes obvious sense; also check the amazon reviews if a title gets high user reviews and you're not familiar with the title. The amazon user reviews are generally more informative than comments that show up here on AVS. The most interesting MC SACD discs were often done by Linn (UK).


One key thing that I learned from my SACD MC sound experience, is that my own interest in MC sound/music discs is now greatly diminished. But then, I wouldn't know that if I hadn't gotten SACD discs in order to actually try MC sound.


I thought that Roger Dressler's early post in the thread (number 3) is very on target.


Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs
One key thing that I learned from my SACD MC sound experience, is that my own interest in MC sound/music discs is now greatly diminished.
I have reached the opposite conclusion. Having lived with MCH sound/music, stereo is still tolerable but it leaves me wanting more.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top