AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I bought a Harman Kardon HK 3490 for my office and connected it with a Sony SACD/CD player SCD-XE597 via optical cable. I put a hybrid SACD and can only get sound from the CD layer and nothing from the SACD layer.

Any ideas why this is happening? Shouldn't the receiver support SACD via optical connection?

Thanks!

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl /forum/post/16850283

Nope SACD (hi-res) is only available on the analogs or digitally on HDMI. Blame the man.

It seems so stupid that I'll have to use an inferior quality connection in order to enjoy superior sound.

Thanks for the answer

· Registered
722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technicolor /forum/post/16850589

It seems so stupid that I'll have to use an inferior quality connection in order to enjoy superior sound.

Back in the first half of this decade, the record companies were terrified of digital copying, so they limited SACD and DVD-Audio output to analog. (There were proprietary exceptions from Denon and Pioneer, I think, that required their gear on both ends, but they didn't do me any good.)

The quality of your connection will be just fine -- there's no real quality advantage to making the connection to your receiver digitally (which, as noted above, can now be done with HDMI). The physical reality of a multichannel-analog connection is a bit of a mess, though, I empathize with you there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.