AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellows,

Was wondering if any of you might recommend a model number and brand name SACD/CD player of good quality that I might pick up on the used market for a couple hundred bucks or so? Really want a good one as I play a lot of music in my HT as well as movies. Thanks a million for your help and recommendations. Have a pleasant evening.

golffnutt

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/19614835

Why go used?

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-BD-S190...1834904&sr=8-1

Thanks for the suggestion WilliamZX11 but I am not a Yamaha fan. This player has a retail of only $250, to get the quality player I am looking for the retail is probably gonna be around 4 to 500 bucks, that't why I said a couple hundred bucks used in my post. Thanks though for the suggestion and do have a nice day.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Actually, it's a BD player and won't play SACD's, I thought I had linked to the DVD-S1900. And retail was $449 originally for the DVD-S1900. The BD was even more. If there are other brands you won't consider, you should probably list them.

I do have a brand new Denon DVD-1940ci, still in the box. Nothing special, but I got it for $80, and have considered selling it lately for the same. But it was only $349 originally, so probably not up to your standards.

Seems SACD players are being closed out and disappearing, unless you go extreme high end.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/19614619

Hi Fellows,

Was wondering if any of you might recommend a model number and brand name SACD/CD player of good quality that I might pick up on the used market for a couple hundred bucks or so? Really want a good one as I play a lot of music in my HT as well as movies. Thanks a million for your help and recommendations. Have a pleasant evening.

golffnutt

Are you going to use it for stereo, multichannel or both?

Are you going to use the digital or analog outputs and to what are you connecting it?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19614933

Are you going to use it for stereo, multichannel or both? Both

Are you going to use the digital or analog outputs and to what are you connecting it?
Analog, connecting to my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver, PSB T55 speakers, with 2 each M&K VX-1250 subs.

Hi Kal and thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
hmm...

i have a pioneer 59avi that i'd be willing to sell you if you are interested...

certainly meets the original retail price criteria of being relatively expensive...

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Frankly, you can use any universal player with an HDMI output into that AVR. No reason to use analog and deprive yourself of the DSP in the Onkyo. I have heard good things about the Sony S570 and it is currently under $200 on the street.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

that is what i would do... KISS...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19614997

hmm...

i have a pioneer 59avi that i'd be willing to sell you if you are interested...

certainly meets the original retail price criteria of being relatively expensive...

You have a PM.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19614999

Frankly, you can use any universal player with an HDMI output into that AVR. No reason to use analog and deprive yourself of the DSP in the Onkyo. I have heard good things about the Sony S570 and it is currently under $200 on the street.

Thanks Kal, for that recommendation, I will read up on the 570.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

Kal the only S570 I found was a blu-ray player, not an SACD player???????? I have a very nice Pioneer Elite blu-ray player, I am looking for an SACD player.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

it plays sacd's as well...

·
Registered
734 Posts

Quote:

The Sony s570 does have a nice feature set for the price. I chose the Sony because it plays SACDs in addition to the Blu-ray and wireless streaming...the price tag helped too.
I don't know what your Onkyo handles, but the 570 can output DSD or PCM via HDMI. I've used it mostly for playing around with the streaming capabilities, but I've listened to a couple of SACDs and I'm very pleased with it so far...especially considering the cost.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/19614619

Hi Fellows,

golffnutt

Get a closeout Sherwood Newcastle SD-871 for roughly $200 ($800 list).

Search www.amazon.com/electronics for: Sherwood SD-871

The "universal" (DVD, CD, SACD), Sherwood Newcastle SD-871 (I have one) does audio best IMO; DVD video does not include 1080p, nor does it play self burned dual layer DVD discs.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck /forum/post/19615207

OPPO DV-980h.

Thanks elijaycanuck but I don't want a blu-ray player, already have one. I want just a really good quality CD player that will play 2 channel as well as multichannel SACD also.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/19615357

Thanks elijaycanuck but I don't want a blu-ray player, already have one. I want just a really good quality CD player that will play 2 channel as well as multichannel SACD also.

The DV-980H isn't a Blu-ray player. It's a well-rated DVD player that plays SACD and CD and does it very well.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck /forum/post/19615371

The DV-980H isn't a Blu-ray player. It's a well-rated DVD player that plays SACD and CD and does it very well.

Got it, you are right. Only problem with the 980 is that the orig. MSLP was $169.99 and now they are selling used on Ebay for $140-$160. I just refuse to pay those kind of prices (very little discount off orig. price plus no warranty) for used players when they only sold for about $25 or $30 more when new with a warranty. I know they are a good player, just not a good buy. Now if I could find one for about $100 bucks or so then I would take it.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/19615122

Kal the only S570 I found was a blu-ray player, not an SACD player???????? I have a very nice Pioneer Elite blu-ray player, I am looking for an SACD player.

It plays SACDs and, in fact, will output 176.4kHz PCM from them.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts