AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iam just learning of this format of listening ... wil i need a special unit (DVD)

player to achieve the benifits of SACD ?

i have a Denon 3801 and a lower model Toshiba DVD player , all of which is DD DTS capable .. thank you in advance .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt... anyone ??????

·
Registered
154 Posts
You will need an SACD player (most of which double as DVD-V or Universal players) to get most of the benefits of SACD.

Most SACDs out there are hybrid SACD/CD which allow SACDs to play back on CD players, though you will get CD quality sound; not SACD sound. Also DVD-V players provided the firmware will allow the player to read the CD layer if it barfs on the SACD layer.

One down side to SACD is it works best with full range speakers whether running 2-channel or 5 channel (with all the speakers equidistant from listening position). I personally don't trust bass management or time alignment with most SACD players because you have to process the signal to use BM/TA. I feel SACD works better without any processing.

I run mostly 2-channel SACD. Most CDs sound flat and lifeless once I got used to SACD. I'm still experimenting with Multichannel (MC) but my MC setup is not nearly as good as my 2-channel setup. A better MC setup might change my listening habits but this is costly...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Also keep in mind, with SACD and DVD-A, you need 6 analog interconnect cables for 5.1 audio. The decoding MUST be done internally (in the player) and then sent to your preamp. There is no standard for a digital audio output from these formats yet!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Burtgtp1973,

I am shopping for SACD, DVD-A players too. Yes, you need SACD capable player, but don't forget to check your receiver too. The SACDs have several formats, some are 2-channel, some are Multichannel (MC, 5.1). Your receiver need to be able to take 5.1 signals for you to take advantage of the MC. I have a Denon 3803 which has a 7.1 input posts (Ext. In) that can be used. I guess yours has it too.

DVD-A is something you may think about too. The war between DVD-A and SACD is not over yet. It seems SACD is little better.

If you don't care about DVD-A, you can get a player that is much cheaper. Like the Pilips DVD795SA and Sony DVP-NC685V. For both SACD and DVD-A, it seems the Pioneer DV 563A is the best deal, and Denon DVD-2900 is the best rated.

Cheers!

rh

·
23,030 Posts
Quote:
One down side to SACD is it works best with full range speakers whether running 2-channel or 5 channel (with all the speakers equidistant from listening position). I personally don't trust bass management or time alignment with most SACD players because you have to process the signal to use BM/TA. I feel SACD works better without any processing.
That's a downside of the SACD player in question, not the SACD format.

larry

·
Registered
616 Posts
As has been discussed before, DVD-A is technically better, but SACD has about 3x more releases and people like the sound quality. Kind of like the VHS/Beta war.

If I were in the market, I'd get a universal player. I haven't seen any titles that have been released in both formats.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found the Pioneer DV563A at my local A/V shop for 169.00 out the door . iam going to grab it , the only problem is that it does not come in black :(

whats a guy to do ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
That's a downside of the SACD player in question, not the SACD format.

larry
Whether the BM/TA is done in the SACD player and/or processor is my concern. The technology is still too new IMHO. Also, most solutions are probably PCM-based which may (or may not) defeat the purpose/benefits of SACD.

I have the luxury of a large room which can accommodate equidistant and full-range speakers in the recommended ITU-configuration for full-range and identical speakers for hi-rez (whether DVD-A or SACD). My goals for MC Hi-rez include meeting these ideals.... the cost is daunting however so I am currently living with compromises.

I'm not convinced yet that MC could be more satisfying than well-done 2-channel stereo. Call me a neanderthal....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.