AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently obtained some Surround SACDs.
Over an HDMI connection, my system reports 5.1.0 channels and "DSD Multi".

With DVD videos I get 5.1.0 channels of DD or DTS. And I normally decode/process them with Dolby surround or DTS Neural:X on my AVR to use all 5.1.2 speakers.

What do you decode/process DTS Multi with?

Direct or Straight modes on my AVR sound good but don't take advantage of the 2 extra height/presence speakers.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
SACD's (Super Audio Compact Disc's) are encoded using DSD (Direct Stream Digital), which is a 'lossless' audio format.
DVD's are commonly encoded using Dolby Digital or DTS, which are 'lossy' audio formats.

All modern AVR's offer on-board Dolby Digital and DTS 'audio decoding via SPDIF or HDMI. Fewer AVR's offer on-board DSD 'audio decoding via HDMI only.

Reactions: brulaz

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
My new Yamaha RX-V6A processes the DSD just fine. But it's just 5.1.0 channels.
Guess I'll try some of the more neutral Yamaha DSP modes, to get to 5.1.2
And not sure what it does, but Dolby Surround processing works pretty well (to my ears) up-mixing Stereo CDs to 5.1.2

Didn't realize that DD and DTS used lossy compression on DVDs, whereas DSD is lossless.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Thanks.
My new Yamaha RX-V6A processes the DSD just fine. But it's just 5.1.0 channels.
Guess I'll try some of the more neutral Yamaha DSP modes, to get to 5.1.2
And not sure what it does, but Dolby Surround processing works pretty well (to my ears) up-mixing Stereo CDs to 5.1.2

Didn't realize that DD and DTS used lossy compression on DVDs, whereas DSD is lossless.
Just so you know...

The SACD audio specification (which is over twenty years old) was developed to support a maximum of 6-channels, as do the 'lossy' versions of Dolby Digital and DTS. Although Dolby Digital EX can add support for a seventh matrixed audio channel. And DTS-ES can technically add support for a seventh discrete audio channel.

The Blu-ray disc specification added support for two 'lossless' multi-channel audio formats: Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) and DTS-HD MA...

Reactions: brulaz

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you have your disc player decode the DSD and send it to your receiver as PCM, you might be able to apply Height processing to it. I haven't tried it myself, but it's theoretically possible.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If you have your disc player decode the DSD and send it to your receiver as PCM, you might be able to apply Height processing to it. I haven't tried it myself, but it's theoretically possible.
Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of adding surround 'up-channel' processing to audio files. I prefer to keep the audio 'native'...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Fairly sure you are not allowed to convert and send as PCM, only analogue out or some are allowed to do HDMI out but think there are strict licencing restrictions on that.

Edit: My mistake disregard this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Fairly sure you are not allowed to convert and send as PCM, only analogue out or some are allowed to do HDMI out but think there are strict licencing restrictions on that.

Oppo players have a menu setting so that DSD can be output as PCM via HDMI. I do this with multi-channel SACDs. My Emotiva XMC-1 will not allow the use of Dirac room correction if DSD is sent direct from one of my Oppo players.

Reactions: GZAP1

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oppo players have a menu setting so that DSD can be output as PCM via HDMI. I do this with multi-channel SACDs. My Emotiva XMC-1 will not allow the use of Dirac room correction if DSD is sent direct from one of my Oppo players.
Is it comparative quality?
Strange i havent seen that i have 2 oppo players but its been a long time since i read the manuals and played SACDs, maybe it was in an update and they have eased the restrictions. Very nice if so, useful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't think my Sony player can do that.

However the DSP of my Yamaha AVR has numerous modes that can upscale to 5.1.2 ..
. and more. But it's the "and more" bits that I often don't care for.

Right now listening with Yamaha's "Straight Decode" and 5.1.0. Sounds great, as does "Pure Direct". Maybe I don't really need 5.1.2 for Beethoven's fortepiano sonatas. Seems like Yamaha's Concert Hall modes add too much reverb.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Is it comparative quality?
Strange i havent seen that i have 2 oppo players but its been a long time since i read the manuals and played SACDs, maybe it was in an update and they have eased the restrictions. Very nice if so, useful.

I guess it's in the ears of the beholder as far as comparative SQ.

Perhaps you should check the manual of your Oppo players. The "SACD Output" setting on page 57 of the 83 manual clearly shows that one can choose DSD or PCM output. This setting option has been available on all Oppo universal players as far back as the 83 and maybe further back on older Oppo players. What restriction are you referring to?

·
Registered
266 Posts
My results with DSD and Audyssey XT32 were not great. I set my Oppo to convert DSD to PCM and got better Bass response IMHO.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of adding surround 'up-channel' processing to audio files. I prefer to keep the audio 'native'...
I felt the same before going to a 5.2.4 Atmos setup. I really like what my Denon 4400H's Dolby Surround Mode does for 2 channel sources. Much better than DPLIIx in my setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I felt the same before going to a 5.2.4 Atmos setup. I really like what my Denon 4400H's Dolby Surround Mode does for 2 channel sources. Much better than DPLIIx in my setup.
Yes, I'm liking Dolby Surround for most of my Stereo CDs, upmixing to 5.1.2.
With the 5.1.0 SACDs though I'm preferring the no-postprocessing modes. That could change though if I ever get some different 5.1.0 SACDs, or depending on my mood (the ears are fickle).

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Don't think my Sony player can do that.

However the DSP of my Yamaha AVR has numerous modes that can upscale to 5.1.2 ..
. and more. But it's the "and more" bits that I often don't care for.

Right now listening with Yamaha's "Straight Decode" and 5.1.0. Sounds great, as does "Pure Direct". Maybe I don't really need 5.1.2 for Beethoven's fortepiano sonatas. Seems like Yamaha's Concert Hall modes add too much reverb.
Most receivers will allow you to upmix DSD it just get converted to PCM so if you have a pure DSD capable receiver that small advantage is lost (Most modern receivers convert to PCM regardless and any room correction will cause conversion to PCM anyway).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts