AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just got a new tv at my apt and i plugged in the antenna and picked up about 20 channels.. probably 15 clear ones. There was one main channel that i wanted and that was ABC.. I keep trying to get it but it seems like it's not picking up. Will buying a new antenna fix this? This is an old antenna that have been used before digital and it has UHF and VHF also. I'm located in Sacramento in zip code 95826.

The current antenna i have is this one.

RCA ANT200B

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT200-Amp.../dp/B00000J0BM

I was thinking about buying this Antenna here..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+In...ract_desc=null

Any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
To help people here help you, you can get detailed information about the TV signals that are available at your location:

1. Go to http://www.tvfool.com/ .

2. Click "See Which TV Stations You Can Get on a Map", then "Start MAPS".

3. Enter your address, or your exact latitude and longitude if you know them, and click the "Map this" button. You'll get a map showing your supposed location, and a list of stations.

4. If necessary, adjust your location by dragging the marker around on the map. If you switch to satellite view, you can probably see your house.

5. Underneath the map, enter the height of your antenna (current or planned).

6. Above the map, click the "Make Radar Plot" button. You'll get a table of detailed information about the signal levels at your location. You'll also get a Web address that links to that page. Paste the address here so people can advise you intelligently. (Note that the table does not display your exact location.)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Your ABC is on VHF (real channel 10) whereas all your other stations are on UHF except for PBS (real channel 9). Do you have problems with PBS also?

In general, indoor reception is harder for VHF than for UHF, with digital TV. The best setup for "rabbit ears" like yours is usually to extend them horizontally, perpendicularly to the line of sight to the transmitter. The optimum length for channel 10 is 29 inches tip to tip. If you can put them in a window that faces to the south (towards your transmitters) it might help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/19543941

Your ABC is on VHF (real channel 10) whereas all your other stations are on UHF except for PBS (real channel 9). Do you have problems with PBS also?

In general, indoor reception is harder for VHF than for UHF, with digital TV. The best setup for "rabbit ears" like yours is usually to extend them horizontally, perpendicularly to the line of sight to the transmitter. The optimum length for channel 10 is 29 inches tip to tip. If you can put them in a window that faces to the south (towards your transmitters) it might help.

You are correct i'm missing both ABC and PBS. I will try your instructions when i come back to the apt next week. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Actually, you should try the dipole VHF rods extended to various lengths and angles. Try each rod @ 29" first, then try ~half that length. Next, try fully extended and/or fully collapsed.

Try all these various lengths in a very wide "V" (as horizontally as possible), a narrow "V" and also vertically | |

But the actual location in the room may be more important than anything else you try. You have to find a reception hot spot. For antennas with a hard-wired coax attached, this can be done by adding a longer length of coax to the indoor antenna, using a barrel splice .

Regardless of what your results are, it would be good to contact the VHF stations you've had trouble receiving and let them know. Many VHF stations across the US have moved to the UHF band after receiving numerous reception complaints from viewers who can easily receive UHF stations indoors, but not VHF.

·
Registered
965 Posts
KVIE (rf 9) and KXTV (rf 10) are the stations I get reliably with the $4 "uhf" bowtie. I'm about 30 miles away. These two channels travel well into the foothills as well. The amped combo antenna is likely catching interference from electronics. A different location for the antenna should do the trick. Good Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot guys!! Everybody has been a great help! I moved the antenna away from the TV instead of being behind it, it's on the side of the TV now and i picked up 7 extra channels.. Only 2 channels are good, the others still give me a blue screen but they picked it up. I got ABC now and that's all i really wanted extra. However like you all said it's not HD though, 720p but not 1080.. Still not bad but i guess i can't get any better with where im located.

What i did that worked especially is the 29 inches apart for the bunny ears. Those made ALL the channels 100% clear now. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih
I got ABC now and that's all i really wanted extra. However like you all said it's not HD though, 720p but not 1080.. Still not bad but i guess i can't get any better with where im located.
No matter where you're located, you're not going to get any better than 720p with ABC. Same for FOX. Both use 720p network-wide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts