AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 11356 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedw
Interesting, I've been having the same thing on KQCA , it seemed to clear up most of the way through One Tree Hill last night. I just figured that somthing is wrong with my setup, but I'll be troubleshooting more tonight. (And trying other channels)

-Steve W

Yeah, KQCA @#[email protected]# ruined the season finale of Smallville for me.

What REALLY stunk was, I JUST got my HDTIVO set up, and it recorded the OTA HD signal of Smallville (which was the one that was dropping out).

If I had left it on the satellite delivery of the SD channel, I could at least have watched the finale!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just an FYI, I bought a Channel Master 3041DSB pre-amp at Lowes. I was going to order a CM7777 but I wanted to convenience of being able to buy and possibly return locally. From what I've read, this is the "Spartan" line and this particular unit is supposedly equivalent to the CM7778.

I'd like to report that this unit worked great. It boosted a fluctuating Fox to 95% and 20% KMAX to 90%. Everything else was already pretty solid and now all report nearly 100%.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just sold my house in Roseville (Baseline/Junction area) and am relocating to Foresthill (just think "Auburn"/zip 95631). I put off buying any gear to pull in OTA signals because I know my stay in Roseville was temporary. I had Comcast HD which was terrible. I had choppy picture and audio dropouts. Anyway, my question is that what is an acceptable distance to a broadcast tower to be able to successfully pull in a particular channel? Antennaweb says that the major broadcast towers are about 60 miles away from my new house in Foresthill, at roughly 200 degrees on the compass. Is 60 miles considered too far, especially since I am in a rural area with lost of trees, etc? Or is it do-able? I was considering directv or dish but wasn't impressed with their HD channel lineups. Then I saw that for an extra fifty bucks directv will install a directional antenna...any thoughts as to my best course of action?? Sorry if this is off-topic or if this post belongs elsewhere.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,004 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, KQCA @#[email protected]# ruined the season finale of Smallville for me.

Me as well. I watched Enterprise and recorded Smallville to both a MyHD card and a FusionHDTV3 QAM for anal insurance since it was the season finale. Both recordings had the terrible audio and video drops/glitches. In fact it was the worst I had ever seen on KQCA. I watched it but it was agony.

They must relegate the good equipment to KCRA and use Radio Shack gear on KQCA. Either that or their headend is connected to their transmitter by two tin cans and a string.

·
Banned
286 Posts
I can also report that KQCA's video+audio dropouts during the last Smallville made the show unwatchable. Basically 1 second of dropout for every 10 seconds of good signal. My signal meter reports a steady 80+% signal while these dropouts are occuring. Luckily, I had my HD Tivo record the show via satellite and OTA at the same time, so I had an OK SD resolution copy. I just checked KQCA tonight and there was *no* signal so perhaps they are fixing their problems...

Also, I'd like to report that KVIE-DT2's guide data for the 'Nightly Business Report' is always incorrect (as seen via directv's guide, or zap2it.com, or titantv.com). The program data indicates that the show airs weekdays at 6:30pm PDT, but in fact the show airs at 5:30pm PDT. I reported this problem to zap2it and KVIE but got no response.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by jl1252
I just sold my house in Roseville (Baseline/Junction area) and am relocating to Foresthill (just think "Auburn"/zip 95631). I put off buying any gear to pull in OTA signals because I know my stay in Roseville was temporary. I had Comcast HD which was terrible. I had choppy picture and audio dropouts. Anyway, my question is that what is an acceptable distance to a broadcast tower to be able to successfully pull in a particular channel? Antennaweb says that the major broadcast towers are about 60 miles away from my new house in Foresthill, at roughly 200 degrees on the compass. Is 60 miles considered too far, especially since I am in a rural area with lost of trees, etc? Or is it do-able? I was considering directv or dish but wasn't impressed with their HD channel lineups. Then I saw that for an extra fifty bucks directv will install a directional antenna...any thoughts as to my best course of action?? Sorry if this is off-topic or if this post belongs elsewhere.

Jeff

Depending on the location of your house in Foresthill, you will possibly get a windfall of OTA HD channels. I had relatives up there for many years, and the SF channels came in nice and clear. If you sit on top of a hill or to the west side, with a clear view west, you should be able to get Sutro as well as Sacramento nets. If you are on the east side of a hill, or there's a hill blocking your western exposure, good luck getting anything at all...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Grrr, my last post did was erased. Here's a quick recap.

Equipment: Zentih HDV420 + Zenith SS w/ inline amplifier from Rat Shack sitting atop the old dusty TV replaced by a HD Projector.

About 3/4 of the available Sac HD channels that do come in have a 70-90% signal strength. The other channels get a partial signal (no sound or pic) when playing around with the antenna outside. Will have more to report once I have more time to properly set it up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone having a problem with KQCA 58-1? I do not get a picture at all, no sound, nothing, just "searching for signal." All the other Sac channels are OK.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Yeah, 58.1 has no signal yesterday, 21.1 is still in low power I can't get a reliable lock, all others are good. KVIE 53.1 however keeps swtiching between 53.1 and 6.1 on my 811 receiver therefore get removed from my favorite list all the time, my DTC100 locks it on 53.1 no problem so I assume its the 811/KVIE issue.

On the Comcast cable side, they just added about 15 foreign language channels in their digital tier, who said they didn't have bandwidth for more HDs? Of course those foreign channels probably sell for $15 each. Judging from the fuzzy pictures they probably had squeezed 20 of them on a single 6mhz band so it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, what's up with KMAX anyway? First it was waiting for FCC approval, which it received, I understand. Then it was installation of equipment which would take a few weeks and be done by May 1. (Which is strange because it HAD operated at high power for test periods.) Then it was a few minor PSIP adjustments which would take 2-3 days. As I recall that was weeks ago. Time for KMAX to level with prospective viewers in Modesto, Tracy, and other areas.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by clevfandad
Yeah, what's up with KMAX anyway? First it was waiting for FCC approval, which it received, I understand. Then it was installation of equipment which would take a few weeks and be done by May 1. (Which is strange because it HAD operated at high power for test periods.) Then it was a few minor PSIP adjustments which would take 2-3 days. As I recall that was weeks ago. Time for KMAX to level with prospective viewers in Modesto, Tracy, and other areas.

1. We did have a PSIP problem. We replaced our first generation PSIP equipment and all is now well.

2. We did - for about a week - test our transmitter into the master antenna on the KCRA tower. All was well.

3. We applied for, and were granted, a power increase to 850 KW.

4. To operate at this power level requires negotiation with the owner of the master antenna. This is in progress.

5. To operate at this power requires that the transmitter be slightly modified and certified at the new power. This is in progress.

Bottom line: It should not take much longer to get this transmitter on the air. Any specific questions, just email me - bhess at cbs.com. And include your name so I can address a real person!

Bob Hess

Director of Engineering

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What's the deal with KCQA 58? That's two nights now that I have missed the best show, EVER, WB Superstars.

Does anyone know anything?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
Bob, I just realized you are at CBS, any word on if KOVR 13.1 will be on Comcast soon? Thanks.

I work for CBS. KOVR is not owned by CBS so I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"Bob, I just realized you are at CBS, any word on if KOVR 13.1 will be on Comcast soon? Thanks."

Never.

Or until someone makes a plot to take over Sinclair.

21 - 40 of 11356 Posts