AVS Forum banner

6741 - 6760 of 11407 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Boyce /forum/post/15130144

If you look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...6&d=1227194669 you will see that the Stanford/Cal game is only being offered in SD by ABC.

ABC only has two network HD transmission paths. They have to decide what games to use them for. If you look at the map only three markets are getting the Stanford/Cal game. ABC is working on upgradding the netwok distribution system to fix this.

Cool, I hope that fixes Pac-10 in general though, I haven't been checking those maps, but I can't remember any of the 12:30pm Pac-10 games being HD all year.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/15130269

Na, that's just silly. I'm simply exercising my freedom of speech. I suppose you would rather I stop posting here and go start my own private little blog, but what's the point in that

I just don't think you're getting the whole point that attacking the man and his organization, and what is basically his work, is not good form...that's all.

Agree to disagree.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitgod /forum/post/15130292

Cool, I hope that fixes Pac-10 in general though, I haven't been checking those maps, but I can't remember any of the 12:30pm Pac-10 games being HD all year.

I think it is also due to the fact the the Big XII this year has had more marquee games compared to the PAC -10. The Network decided it would rather use their HD resources on those games and the Big 10 ones.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Bob Hess,

Do you know if KOVR has any plans to provide TVGOS via the digital signal any time soon? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Gosh Guys, it looks like you all have missed me! I have been absolutely buried in dealing with temporary fiber feeds that we will be supplying to Dish Network and DirecTV via the cooperation of a couple of wonderful cable companies. Have not checked the Forum in a week or so.

A few things to report on:

1 - In the period, December 1-19, both the ABC and CBS digital signals will be off the air during daylight hours. At this time, this does not include weekends or rain/weather days. If weather is bad for an extended time, this could go beyond the 19th. The reason for this is that all RF must be shut down while Telefutura is installing their channel 26 antenna on the tower. They are moving from Mt. Diablo to Walnut Grove.

So, you heard right, there will be no digital ABC or CBS signals on the air during this period....but....we do plan on placing the SD streams for both stations on the channel 31 digital signal and you may see these as soon as tomorrow. Again, after dark, both stations will be on.

2 - During this period of construction, the fade protection project should be completed. This has been tested for months and absolutely works. The delay has been finding a tower rigger who has the equipment to do the job.

3 - Not sure what you guys mean as far as the "flicker". The network has moved us over to a new satellite delivery system and as a result we have experienced several momentary dropouts. All of the bugs have been worked out as of a couple of days ago.

4 - We have a major auxiliary transmitter installation scheduled for 2009 for both of our stations. This will be on our 1500 foot auxiliary tower and will take many months to complete. In the meantime, we have been installing a low power backup transmitter at the main site. This transmitter will be on generator power and should be operational in a week or so if all goes well. This is a bandaid to be used until the big backup facility is completed.

Any changes regarding the temporary feeds will be posted on my blog .

- Bob

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess /forum/post/15144291

Not sure what you guys mean as far as the "flicker". The network has moved us over to a new satellite delivery system and as a result we have experienced several momentary dropouts. All of the bugs have been worked out as of a couple of days ago.

Hey Bob ... Good to see you back! I thought with all the negativity around here you might have thrown up your hands and walked away.

Regarding the "flicker" problem, I saw it last week -- not sure if it's still happening. Here's a screen-cap of what it looks (looked) like:

As you can see, it was very brief -- I was only able to capture one field. But it was happening on a pretty regular basis.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was wondering what people were refering to; now that I see the .jpg example I know what you mean. It looks like someone is switching non-synchronous video before a frame sync. But it happens DURING a show, not where you'd expect there to be switching.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess /forum/post/15144169

Chris,

Are you referring to the TV Guide program guide? If so, we have had it on the air on the HD side for about a year now.

Bob

I was wondering about this too. I think that's what he's referring to. My info is that TV Guide on Screen has been available from PBS stations for analog for some time and that they now have an agreement of some sort with CBS to supply it on the digital side. I guess that's what you're saying you're doing.

I've pre-ordered the new Dish Network DTVPal DVR that is a two tuner OTA only DVR and it uses TVGOS as it's primary source for program information and PSIP from each station as a secondary source. It's good to hear that KOVR is supplying the service.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
16,362 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the update.

S~

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
Bob:

You're going to get lots of complaints over 10-3 and 13-4. I've been following a station in San Antonio that's doing the same thing but for different reasons, and mapping to multiple major channel numbers does not seem to work, especially on DirecTV/DISH receivers and I heard some CECBs like the RCA one. Same problem where I go to school, a station maps to three major channel numbers and the same circumstance.

A more ideal mapping method would be 31-10 and 31-13. That would keep those receivers from freaking out too much.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/15150817

Bob:

You're going to get lots of complaints over 10-3 and 13-4. I've been following a station in San Antonio that's doing the same thing but for different reasons, and mapping to multiple major channel numbers does not seem to work, especially on DirecTV/DISH receivers and I heard some CECBs like the RCA one.

- Trip

We know there will be confused receivers. If it does not work, it will be 31-3 and 31-4. We should be testing today. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras /forum/post/15147296

....I've pre-ordered the new Dish Network DTVPal DVR that is a two tuner OTA only DVR and it uses TVGOS as it's primary source for program information and PSIP from each station as a secondary source.... It's good to hear that KOVR is supplying the service.

Chuck

Chuck, your mention of the Dish OTA/DVR really caught my attention. The available info on that unit makes it appear to be the OTA-HD replacement for the VCR, which is great news. Only thing is, there doesn't seem to be fully detailed specs anywhere on-line that I could find with Google. What I'm wondering is, (a) does it have HDMI output with full 1080i to the set, and (b) does it have powered-down antenna pass-thru like a VCR?

When you get yours, a detailed review will be welcome! Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN /forum/post/15128107

I was curious if anyone knew of a local station obtaining re-broadcast rights to the Oakland Raiders-San Diego Chargers game on Thursday December 4th. As not all services carry NFL Network, isn't a local television station supposed to be able to obtain these rights? While I don't use an OTA antenna, I use SureWest, which does not carry NFL Network.

I think most of the local stations would love to show the game, but the NFL won't let them. For the ESPN and NFL Network regular season games, the NFL only allows them to be shown on an OTA channel in the "Home" market, not in "Secondary" markets like Sacramento is.

Our Senators in Washington asked the NFL last month to expand the coverage to include the Secondary markets, but the NFL isn't listening.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3670862

Quote:
The league has said it provides free broadcasts in the home cities of competing teams. But 13 lawmakers said in a letter this week to Roger Goodell that the NFL is too narrowly interpreting what a home city is.

"The policy leaves behind NFL fans across the country simply because they live outside cities to which the NFL has granted franchises," according to the letter made public Wednesday. For example, the NFL does not consider the western Pennsylvania town of Johnstown part of the Pittsburgh Steelers' home market, the letter said.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron W /forum/post/15151645

Chuck, your mention of the Dish OTA/DVR really caught my attention. The available info on that unit makes it appear to be the OTA-HD replacement for the VCR, which is great news. Only thing is, there doesn't seem to be fully detailed specs anywhere on-line that I could find with Google. What I'm wondering is, (a) does it have HDMI output with full 1080i to the set, and (b) does it have powered-down antenna pass-thru like a VCR?

When you get yours, a detailed review will be welcome! Thanks for the tip.

Ron,

Here's the thread for the DTVPal DVR:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=tr+50

I found the link to the real manual:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/do...Pal_DVR_UG.pdf

The answer is "yes" to HDMI and it has component output too. The remote has an "Analog Pass-Thru" button but I can't determine if it works with power down or not.

After December 17 many reports should show up on the official thread.

Chuck

·
Registered
965 Posts
My Zenith 900 is now getting signal for 10-4 and 13-4. While the screen is black, I'm getting better than 70% signal which is enough for picture. Program info for both channels reads DTV Program.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/15153263

My Zenith 900 is now getting signal for 10-4 and 13-4. While the screen is black, I'm getting better than 70% signal which is enough for picture. Program info for both channels reads DTV Program.

No streams yet. Just PIDs. Stand by.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess /forum/post/15144169

Chris,

Are you referring to the TV Guide program guide? If so, we have had it on the air on the HD side for about a year now.

Bob

Yep. Thanks for the info, and for the update.

I wonder what the temporary changes are going to do to my D* HR20. Do you normally communicate with them about these types of temporary changes? Will they likely still show the channels via their HD-LILs during these few weeks? I seem to recall that the D* POP in west-sac is unmanned, so I am guessing that their HD-LILs will go dark during daytime for these few weeks.

Edit: Or maybe the temporary fiber feeds you metioned are for just this purpose? Can you say?

6741 - 6760 of 11407 Posts