AVS Forum banner

7501 - 7520 of 11356 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumc /forum/post/16679433


...

The bad thing is, even if you fork over $1000 dollars for a new antenna system, there's no guarentees you will get anything around here either. And with the economy the way it is etc....


The People that I've talked to are not amused to be sure.

I'm sure you are exaggerating on the cost of a new antenna system, but I think I spent around $300 for a long-range VHF/UHF antenna, 8 feet of mast, rotator with digital controller and all the hardware ton install an antenna system for my parents. From 40 miles east of Modesto, they can get all the digital stations from the Sacramento market, as well as some from the San Francisco, Fresno and even Bakersfield and Chico markets. My parents leave it aimed at the Sacramento most of the time. My parents did not understand the enthusiasm I had when finding all these distant channels. They also have free-to-air satellite for niche religious programming, which using an RF modulator, is inserted into blank UHF channel slots. Combining the cost of the satellite equipment, distribution/amplification hardware, we may be getting closer to $800 for EVERYTHING providing video to their TVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
I wish I'd have logged on last week.. would have loved to join Bob and the others @ the switchover! I'm in for a tour if you do another one


Anyhow - I'm a new OTA user as of today - just dumped my Uverse TV... I have a Zinwell 970A box with a Tivax amplified indoor VHF/UHF antenea... after much playing around, I think I have a decent signal on all the stations except KXTV (Channel 10) - I can't get anything for them at all.


I'm in Folsom - ~198-200 degrees from the towers, 35 miles.


Any suggestions? Since I can get KVIE I figured KXTV would be easy- but doesn't appear to be...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana /forum/post/16681051


...I have a Zinwell 970A box with a Tivax amplified indoor VHF/UHF antenea.....I'm in Folsom...

Indoor antenna in Folsom aint gonna cut it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,954 Posts
Anyone still having problems after the transition, here's a tip. If your Tuner does not have a method to delete existing channels it may map the new channels with strange subchannels. I worked on a new Sony LCD yesterday that after a simple rescan came up with .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 subchannels and most of them had no picture no sound. And there was no way to delete all the old channel mapping and "start over". What to do???


1. Disconnect the antenna from the Tuner.

2. Perform a full channel re-scan.

3. Re-connect the antenna to the Tuner.

4. Perform a full channel re-scan.


What this does is wipe out all the old channels on the first scan and then properly finds/maps channels on the second scan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16681798


Indoor antenna in Folsom aint gonna cut it.

Any suggestions on one that will? Any attic mounted units that would be appropriate?


Like I said - my little indoor one seems to be working *ok* for all but KXTV - although most channels are not getting 100% quality signal according to the boxes meter....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana /forum/post/16681868


Any suggestions on one that will? Any attic mounted units that would be appropriate?


Like I said - my little indoor one seems to be working *ok* for all but KXTV - although most channels are not getting 100% quality signal according to the boxes meter....

An attic approach may work but there are a lot of issues with building construction etc. Types of roofing can block the signal.


An attic antenna will provide you more signal but only if it has a shot at seeing the towers. If you are down in a hole or even flat it may not help.


I have an attic antenna and its about as effective as having it outdoors but I am way up on a hill, have a simple comp roof and its in a second story above the trees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana /forum/post/16681868


Any suggestions on one that will? Any attic mounted units that would be appropriate?


Like I said - my little indoor one seems to be working *ok* for all but KXTV - although most channels are not getting 100% quality signal according to the boxes meter....

I'm a big fan of the attic antenna option when putting it outside can't be done. Mine is a Channel Master 3017, which fit my attic space nicely:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...om=Large#xview


I put it on a rotor (don't like crawling on ceiling joists to make adjustments) which was a good choice, because I found I could get a watchable analog 7 from S.F. The CM 3017 delivers a hot signal on all channels through my tile roof. Although I'm close to the WG towers, I tend to think it would ably perform in a similar installation at much greater distances.


Big advantage of attic vs. outside installations: no degradation due to sun and weather. My antenna, rotor, and coax are as good as the day they went up 8 years ago.


--Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana /forum/post/16681051


I have a Zinwell 970A box with a Tivax amplified indoor VHF/UHF antenea...

I'm in Folsom - ~198-200 degrees from the towers, 35 miles.

My Folsom experience requires an outdoor antenna for reliable performance. Indoor would require ideal situations (not mine).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16681798


Indoor antenna in Folsom aint gonna cut it.

Apparently, an indoor antenna near CalExpo in Sacramento is not really cutting it as well. Prior to Friday, I was able to receive ALL the Sacramento stations via an indoor antenna from my office on Fee Dr. Since Friday, I am unable to receive KVIE, KXTV, and KMAX. I actually get a more reliable signal on the stations I do get though. The antenna is inside a concrete building, which may explain why I can't get KVIE and KXTV, as they went back to VHF, but I'm not sure why I can't get KMAX.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN /forum/post/16681024


I'm sure you are exaggerating on the cost of a new antenna system, but I think I spent around $300 for a long-range VHF/UHF antenna, 8 feet of mast, rotator with digital controller and all the hardware ton install an antenna system for my parents. From 40 miles east of Modesto, they can get all the digital stations from the Sacramento market, as well as some from the San Francisco, Fresno and even Bakersfield and Chico markets. My parents leave it aimed at the Sacramento most of the time. My parents did not understand the enthusiasm I had when finding all these distant channels. They also have free-to-air satellite for niche religious programming, which using an RF modulator, is inserted into blank UHF channel slots. Combining the cost of the satellite equipment, distribution/amplification hardware, we may be getting closer to $800 for EVERYTHING providing video to their TVs.

Right, my point was you could spend that much, and it's no guarentee that you can receive anything around here. Doesn't mean that you have to spend that much.




Back around 18 years ago now, my antenna system cost me around $600. But as I said earlier, it was commercial grade stuff at the time. The Preamps alone cost around $100.


Going from memory, a rounded aproximation.


VHF only antenna - $200

UHF only Antenna - $150

VHF Preamp - $100

UHF Preamp - $75

Telescoping Mast $60

50 ft RG-59 - $25


Plus Misc hardware etc... -


I replaced the coax cable with RG-6-QS a year ago and it alone cost me $50.


A $60 Cm antenna here wouldn't cut it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
ccallana,


Based on your results with the Tivax DT-01 antenna, I would bet that in indoor solution is possible for you. The DT-01 is certainly not the top of the line for indoor antennas. Mr. Hess recommended the Winegard SS-3000 a while back as best. At a little under 30 miles, I've found an old school rabbit ear antenna gets and holds KVIE & KXTV regardless of winds and moving tree limbs. If you went with rabbit ears, you'd have to add a UHF antenna as well.


I'd try a rescan with your converter box first. Perhaps it missed KXTV prior, thus no signal.


We need an update on the Sharpshooters' VHF performance on digital 6.1 and 10.1. please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hi I have had reception 95% of time since switch over ..tonight all channels are gone? both tvs? antenna is in attic so It did not ?? fall over?? any ideas...it is 9 30 pm..no 3 6 13 10 31 40 or 58??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/16686809


ccallana,


Based on your results with the Tivax DT-01 antenna, I would bet that in indoor solution is possible for you. The DT-01 is certainly not the top of the line for indoor antennas. Mr. Hess recommended the Winegard SS-3000 a while back as best. At a little under 30 miles, I've found an old school rabbit ear antenna gets and holds KVIE & KXTV regardless of winds and moving tree limbs. If you went with rabbit ears, you'd have to add a UHF antenna as well.


.

The SS-3000 states its good for 30 miles - I'm ~35 from the WG towers... how exact are those specs? The 3000 certainly would be easier to manage than one of the big outdoor ones
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
ccallana,


I can't tell you about the specs, as I don't know. I have read that this Sharpshooter has worked well, even 45 miles away. However, I don't know how well it will work for VHF. I too have an amped combo antenna, on another set, probably better than your Tivax, yet it is having difficulties with KVIE. The amp has 5 settings. I'm guessing the correct setting may be 2.5 or 3.5, but those aren't available. It's very finicky on VHF so far.


A few minutes ago, I tried getting the unamped rabbit ears to fail to recieve 10.1 by changing the aim of the antenna, I couldn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I'm using a Sharpshooter. what would everyone like to know about its performance?


It works well on VHF hi. Almost as good as on UHF. No reception at all on VHF low, but that doesn't matter. It is an improvement over rabbit ears, but it isn't magic. It's pickier than rabbit ears re: placement, but not as picky as a Silver Sensor. Everything's picky about placement with DTV.


Re: Cal Expo, I cannot imagine that an SS-3000 wouldn't work at Cal Expo. It just isn't that far from Walnut Grove. Bob Hess's blog at cbs13.com covered almost an identical situation.


There is EscapeVelocity's thread, comparing every possible indoor antenna, elsewhere here on AVSforum. There are many great indoor antennas: SS-3000, HDTVa, Cornet, Radio Shack UFO, etc.


My problem is one that an antenna can't beat. I live close to the towers, but in the 'burbs (lots of trees). When the wind blows the trees, the dynamic multipath kills the UHF. (The longer VHF waves stay solid in the wind.) Although the Sharpshooter helps, no amount of signal strength will totally fix it. I have to have a CECB that is really good at multipath. I haven't tried the Digital Stream, but so far, I've found the Zenith and the Channel Master to beat the windy afternoon reception much better that the RCA and the Dish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Did anyone else watch KMAX before 7PM last night? Both "Judge Judy" and "King of Queens" were in analog. Not just 4:3, but an analog VBI flicker visable across the top of the screen. When "Dr. Phil" came on, it went back to 16:9.


I guess something in the studio's workflow broke, and they switched to old analog feeds. However, that would mean those shows still provide analog feeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Thanks JNinCA, the SS-3000 sounds good, provided one has a space large enough for it. It is over two feet long. Nice that there are no dipoles to have to fiddle with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/16690145


Thanks JNinCA, the SS-3000 sounds good, provided one has a space large enough for it. It is over two feet long. Nice that there are no dipoles to have to fiddle with.

That's why my mother doesn't have one. I put one in her bedroom for a couple of days, then asked her if she could live with it. She said no, it takes up too much room, so I set her up with an ANT2000 instead. If she has problems, I'll try an HDTVa. Dipoles yes, but the base isn't too big.


If anyone really has a need for super indoor reception, I know some people have gone so far as to use a CM 4228 indoors.
 
7501 - 7520 of 11356 Posts
Top