AVS Forum banner

7521 - 7540 of 11354 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe it's been posted as to why before, but the Giants game on cw31 tonight is in, eh, a letterbox format. Probably 16:9, but a much smaller format, with black banding all the way around.

And as I write this (7:12 PM).... it zooms out to fill the frame- just in time for Rowand's HR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After the switchover last week, I prety well lost KXTV and KVIE channels on VHF 9 & 10 here in Fair Oaks. I'm using a Ratshack U75R UHF antenna in my attic (2 storey house) Before the switchover it was working great. So I decided to cut a custom yagi antenna tuned to 192Mhz (between ch 9 & 10) last weekend. It's about 5ft long and has about 5 elements and a folded dipole active element to capture the signal. Just installed it in the attic today beside the UHF one. It is working VERY well. 100% signal on KXTV and KVIE. The UHF stations remain unaffected. I have a shake roof, so no issues there. I have 2 huge trees across the street from my house as well as another 2 story directly in my path, but besides that, it is pretty well a clear line of site after all that. That yagi has a theoretical gain of about 9.5dBi. Costs ~$25 to make from alumnium had from Blue Collar Supply off Florin-Perkins.

yagi antenna design: http://www.k7mem.com/Electronic_Note...vhf_quick.html

dave mc

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNinCA /forum/post/16689676

Did anyone else watch KMAX before 7PM last night? Both "Judge Judy" and "King of Queens" were in analog. Not just 4:3, but an analog VBI flicker visable across the top of the screen. When "Dr. Phil" came on, it went back to 16:9.

I guess something in the studio's workflow broke, and they switched to old analog feeds. However, that would mean those shows still provide analog feeds.

I can't tell you what happened in this particular case, but perhaps you are thinking that on June 12th, all analog video disappeared? Nope ... the only thing that really happened on that date is that analog transmitters were shut off. Still plenty of analog video behind-the-scenes -- for instance, all of the SD syndicated programming from 20th Television is delivered via analog C-Band satellite.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac2 /forum/post/16691482

After the switchover last week, I prety well lost KXTV and KVIE channels on VHF 9 & 10 here in Fair Oaks. I'm using a Ratshack U75R UHF antenna in my attic (2 storey house) Before the switchover it was working great. So I decided to cut a custom yagi antenna tuned to 192Mhz (between ch 9 & 10) last weekend. It's about 5ft long and has about 5 elements and a folded dipole active element to capture the signal. Just installed it in the attic today beside the UHF one. It is working VERY well. 100% signal on KXTV and KVIE. The UHF stations remain unaffected. I have a shake roof, so no issues there. I have 2 huge trees across the street from my house as well as another 2 story directly in my path, but besides that, it is pretty well a clear line of site after all that. That yagi has a theoretical gain of about 9.5dBi. Costs ~$25 to make from alumnium had from Blue Collar Supply off Florin-Perkins.....

Dave, that's outstanding. I've been considering a similar approach to solve the KVIE/KXTV problem in my mom's apartment.

Questions:

1. What did you use for the boom? (I'm thinking .5 in. PVC or some such.) If an aluminum boom, how did you insulate the elements?

2. How did you make the DE -- a folded dipole out of what material, and how did you do it?

3. And since the DE is a folded dipole, did you install a 300/75 transformer at the DE, or run twin lead to the set, or what?

4. Did you run the 2 downleads into a splitter, a coaxial switch, or what?

Thanks for an excellent post.

--Ron

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor /forum/post/16692158

I can't tell you what happened in this particular case, but perhaps you are thinking that on June 12th, all analog video disappeared? Nope ... the only thing that really happened on that date is that analog transmitters were shut off. Still plenty of analog video behind-the-scenes -- for instance, all of the SD syndicated programming from 20th Television is delivered via analog C-Band satellite.

Well, in this particular case, I had watched TKOQ the night before, so I knew it was 16:9 on KMAX. When I saw the VBI across the top Friday, I figured something went wrong.

In general, after a week of analog shutdown, I can now see how much analog input is still around. Heck, if So You Think You Can Dance is still not shot in 720p, I can imagine what the Judge Nobody show is like. Lesser syndicated shows don't possibly have the budget to replace all their equipment with HD. Analog is gonna be around for a long time.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNinCA /forum/post/16696749

In general, after a week of analog shutdown, I can now see how much analog input is still around. Heck, if So You Think You Can Dance is still not shot in 720p, I can imagine what the Judge Nobody show is like. Lesser syndicated shows don't possibly have the budget to replace all their equipment with HD. Analog is gonna be around for a long time.

Well, just to be clear, even though you saw that vertical blanking "junk" at the top of the screen, doesn't mean the show was "analog." While there is still plenty of analog out there, virtually every new show produced these days (that's not HD) is at least 480i component digital. Most of these are delivered to stations either via Pathfire, or a digital linear satellite feed. It is up to the station then to upconvert it to whatever their needs are -- either 720p or 1080i. During this process, sometimes the information from the vertical interval (which is there even on digital feeds) ends up in the active picture area of the 16:9 frame. Usually it is cropped off by overscan, but if your set is showing the full frame, then you'll see it.

You also might be interested to know that "So You Think You Can Dance" originates from the same studio (at CBS Television City) as "American Idol." That stage is completely HD capable, but they choose to output in SD. Obviously a cost-saving measure -- the studio rental fee is likely higher if they want to produce in HD. Here's a link to some good information if you want to read more:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post14176530

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7OR /forum/post/16695395

Dave, that's outstanding. I've been considering a similar approach to solve the KVIE/KXTV problem in my mom's apartment.

Questions:

1. What did you use for the boom? (I'm thinking .5 in. PVC or some such.) If an aluminum boom, how did you insulate the elements?

2. How did you make the DE -- a folded dipole out of what material, and how did you do it?

3. And since the DE is a folded dipole, did you install a 300/75 transformer at the DE, or run twin lead to the set, or what?

4. Did you run the 2 downleads into a splitter, a coaxial switch, or what?

Thanks for an excellent post.

--Ron

Here's the answers Ron:

1. The antenna was made out of all Aluminum. The boom was 3/4" square Al tubing. The elements are actually bonded to the boom by design and are 1/4" Al rod. I simply drilled 1/4" holes thru the boom and fed the rods thru, anchoring them with small 10-32 screws.

2. The folded dipole is made from the same 1/4" Al rod bent in a vice into a rectangular loop with width equal to the DE element dimension in the diagram and the height approx. 2" (not critical). It is held in place at the desired boom position by some MDF wood blocks I cut and sandwiched the dipole between. The dipole loop is centered top and bottom such that its midway pt. aligns with the boom and director/reflector elements.

3. Yes, the folded dipole has a theoretical impedance of 300 ohms, so a standard 4:1 balun is used to connect to 75 ohm coax.

4. I used a VHF/UHF low loss combiner (0.5dBm). Ex: http://www.abccables.com/201-604.html

To make this quickly to do some experimentation for your case, you can always just try to make a folded dipole using 14 ga wire wrapped lengthwise around a piece of wood or a 2" PVC pipe acting as a form of the correct DE length (just make some shallow slits in the end of the pipe to guide the wire). Since the location is Lodi for you, a single reflector element behind the dipole and 1 or 2 director elements in front may be quite adequate and reduce the length to

cheers,

dave mc

·
Registered
532 Posts
Anybody know if there is a place local to buy something like the SS-3000? I'd hate to get something online and then find out its not working
Or are there places online that take exchanges?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm getting all channels except KXTV 10.1 using a Winegard SS-2000 in West Roseville. After more reading, looks like my problem may be the antenna is UHF only. Yet I am receiving KVIE 6.1 which is VHF. Am I missing something? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker /forum/post/16680039

I would bet you could fork over $59 for a Channel Master and be fine as long as you have some ability to aim it at Walnut Grove.

I got a CM4228 about 5 years ago, and had an installer do the installation. Total cost out of pocket was 300-400 dollars, and I get a great signal on all local channels from Fair Oaks (Madison and Hazel area). I've never been happier with OTA television as I am since putting that antenna up.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/16686809

ccallana,

Based on your results with the Tivax DT-01 antenna, I would bet that in indoor solution is possible for you. The DT-01 is certainly not the top of the line for indoor antennas. Mr. Hess recommended the Winegard SS-3000 a while back as best. At a little under 30 miles, I've found an old school rabbit ear antenna gets and holds KVIE & KXTV regardless of winds and moving tree limbs. If you went with rabbit ears, you'd have to add a UHF antenna as well.

I'd try a rescan with your converter box first. Perhaps it missed KXTV prior, thus no signal.

We need an update on the Sharpshooters' VHF performance on digital 6.1 and 10.1. please.

You may recall that I have one in my office (or had...see a future post on my blog). After the analog shutdown, I did a re-scan on my Pioneer Elite in the office. Got everything perfectly with the SS-3000 EXCEPT 6 and 10.

NOTHING!

Not even a hint.

Tried rabbit ears out of desperation.

NOTHING!

We did take my SS-3000 and installed it in our favorite Thai restaurant and it worked fine on all channels (that is what the blog post will be about).

Several months ago, I recommended a SS-3000 to a viewer. It solved her problems....until 6 and 10 went back to VHF.

So....in her house, and in my office, this antenna does not perform on VHF. Guess you all will have to go to the Thai place to watch your favorite shows on 6 and 10.

Bob
www.cbs13.com/blogs

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana /forum/post/16681051

I wish I'd have logged on last week.. would have loved to join Bob and the others @ the switchover! I'm in for a tour if you do another one

Anyhow - I'm a new OTA user as of today - just dumped my Uverse TV... I have a Zinwell 970A box with a Tivax amplified indoor VHF/UHF antenea... after much playing around, I think I have a decent signal on all the stations except KXTV (Channel 10) - I can't get anything for them at all.

I'm in Folsom - ~198-200 degrees from the towers, 35 miles.

Any suggestions? Since I can get KVIE I figured KXTV would be easy- but doesn't appear to be...

Yes, we will do another tour. The analog transmitters are currently being disassembled. Once our sites are cleaned up, and when the new backup transmitter is installed, I'll see if anyone is interested. If we plan this right, we should be able to get most of the other stations to go along with it.

Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
There's like couple LP & CA stations in Sacramento...what does this mean??

KCSO-LP 5 LD APP SACRAMENTO

KMMK-LP 14 Z TX LIC SACRAMENTO CA US BLTTL-20020423ABD - 18738 117.7 kW 0. m CABALLERO TELEVISION TEXAS, L.L.C.

KMMK-LP 14 LD CP SACRAMENTO CA US BDFCDTL-20060331BAP - 18738 2.3 kW 0. m CABALLERO TELEVISION TEXAS, L.L.C.

KMUM-CA 15 CA LIC SACRAMENTO CA US BLTTL-19981016JH - 18736 18. kW 0. m CABALLERO ACQUISITION INC.

KMUM-CA 15 DC APP SACRAMENTO CA US BDFCDTA-20080804ACR - 18736 15. kW 0. m CABALLERO ACQUISITION INC.

KSTV-LP 17 Z TX APP SACRAMENTO CA US BDISTTL-20070103AAV - 34570 125. kW 0. m BUSTOS MEDIA OF CALIFORNIA LICENSE, LLC

K27EU 20 DC APP SACRAMENTO

KMUM-CA 31 DC APP SACRAMENTO CA US BDISDTA-20081113AFO - 18736 15. kW 0. m CABALLERO ACQUISITION INC.

KSTV-LP 32 - TX APP SACRAMENTO

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana /forum/post/16699145

Anybody know if there is a place local to buy something like the SS-3000? I'd hate to get something online and then find out its not working
Or are there places online that take exchanges?

I believe Bob Hess mentioned on his blog they aren't available locally. The HDTVa is available at Best Buy (not Office Depot) but the price is crazy. Double of online. Both Solid signal and Summit Source will take them back, but for a restocking fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboi /forum/post/16699649

I'm getting all channels except KXTV 10.1 using a Winegard SS-2000 in West Roseville. After more reading, looks like my problem may be the antenna is UHF only. Yet I am receiving KVIE 6.1 which is VHF. Am I missing something? Thanks.

The SS-2000 (Square Shooter) is notoriously UHF only. Getting KVIE is probably due to a lucky multipath reflection. If you fussed around with the location enough, you may be able to get KXTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess /forum/post/16702772

Several months ago, I recommended a SS-3000 to a viewer. It solved her problems....until 6 and 10 went back to VHF.

So....in her house, and in my office, this antenna does not perform on VHF. Guess you all will have to go to the Thai place to watch your favorite shows on 6 and 10.

Bob
www.cbs13.com/blogs

Bob, I bought the Sharpshooter largely due to your recommendation. I've found that it needs to be oriented off axis to get KVIE/KXTV. In my case, nearly 45 degrees.

Secondly, I've noticed 2 people on your blog say the HDTVa outpaced the SS-3000. AFAIK, the HDTVa is simply an amplified dipole when on VHF, and should have the same results as other dipoles. I wonder if people could get KVIE/KXTV by simply buying a good inline amplifier at Radio Shack, and plugging it into rabbit ears. That should be as good as an HDTVa, right?

I watched the NAB nightlight show on analog KCRA this morning, and noticed that they specifically mention the RCA flat antennas as a combination VHF/UHF. Funny, because Rory specifically mentioned those as causing problems for KXTV viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMania /forum/post/16702946

I know LP channel 52 is still broadcasting on analog here in Stockton, and they are still on 52. I don't know what the timeframe is to get them out of the 700Mhz range, but they have to go.

·
Registered
964 Posts
ccallana,

The Winegard website says they have a dealer in Diamond Springs. Give them a call. It's probably only a half hour away from you. If they can get you the SS-3000, you can probably return it. If it works, great. If not, stop at Poor Reds after in El Dorado on the way home. It's a win-win situation.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNinCA /forum/post/16703348

I know LP channel 52 is still broadcasting on analog here in Stockton, and they are still on 52. I don't know what the timeframe is to get them out of the 700Mhz range, but they have to go.

It's my understanding from reading another AVS thread that they don't have to go unless another user of that frequency tells them they have to vacate. Otherwise they can stay until the LPTV shutdown date, yet to be announced.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMania /forum/post/16702946

KCSO-LP 5 LD APP SACRAMENTO

KMMK-LP 14 Z TX LIC SACRAMENTO CA US BLTTL-20020423ABD - 18738 117.7 kW 0. m CABALLERO TELEVISION TEXAS, L.L.C.

KMMK-LP 14 LD CP SACRAMENTO CA US BDFCDTL-20060331BAP - 18738 2.3 kW 0. m CABALLERO TELEVISION TEXAS, L.L.C.

KMUM-CA 15 CA LIC SACRAMENTO CA US BLTTL-19981016JH - 18736 18. kW 0. m CABALLERO ACQUISITION INC.

KMUM-CA 15 DC APP SACRAMENTO CA US BDFCDTA-20080804ACR - 18736 15. kW 0. m CABALLERO ACQUISITION INC.

KSTV-LP 17 Z TX APP SACRAMENTO CA US BDISTTL-20070103AAV - 34570 125. kW 0. m BUSTOS MEDIA OF CALIFORNIA LICENSE, LLC

K27EU 20 DC APP SACRAMENTO

KMUM-CA 31 DC APP SACRAMENTO CA US BDISDTA-20081113AFO - 18736 15. kW 0. m CABALLERO ACQUISITION INC.

KSTV-LP 32 - TX APP SACRAMENTO

The vast majority of LP stations in the Sacramento area have construction permits for LP digital. Others have told me that the construction permits are good for 3 years after the date of issuance. So who knows when they might convert and good luck trying to find out.

The only local LP station that I know which had gone digital is KMMW which was analog on 47 but is now digital on 28.

I have a speculation on the last remaining analog station KCSO 33 from the Angels Camp site. KNSO Merced is digital on 5 but has a CP for 11 and they say due to some problems, they won't get there for a couple of months. KCSO had a CP for 11 but then applied for and received a CP for 5 claiming co-channel interference from KNSO on 11. I'm betting KCSO will fire up on 5 once it is vacated by KNSO.

I'd also be surprised if the FCC grants any of the applications on file for new analog LPTV.

Chuck

·
Registered
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/16703611

ccallana,

The Winegard website says they have a dealer in Diamond Springs. Give them a call. It's probably only a half hour away from you. If they can get you the SS-3000, you can probably return it. If it works, great. If not, stop at Poor Reds after in El Dorado on the way home. It's a win-win situation.

Ok, so I thought you were suggesting Poor Reds as another antenna shop... so I looked them up!! HAH! Good BBQ sounds good right about now... yum yum...

After reading Bob's report of VHF not picking up so well with the 3000, I might consider going a different route - I don't want to keep trying new things over and over avoiding the thing that'll most likely work the best - a big outdoor antenna
So I may just have to go there directly instead of stairstepping!

Now the only question, is which type to go with
too many choices!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can vouch for the fact that the Square Shooter does not work at all for me on 6 and 10.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNinCA /forum/post/16703348

.....Secondly, I've noticed 2 people on your blog say the HDTVa outpaced the SS-3000. AFAIK, the HDTVa is simply an amplified dipole when on VHF, and should have the same results as other dipoles. I wonder if people could get KVIE/KXTV by simply buying a good inline amplifier at Radio Shack, and plugging it into rabbit ears. That should be as good as an HDTVa, right?

My mom's HDTVa works fine on UHF (has a rather good UHF array) but your description of its VHF configuration is correct. With the extensive experimenting I've done, I doubt that *any* rabbit ears or other single-element VHF antenna, amplified or not, will do the job indoors on KVIE and KXTV when you are struggling with a first floor installation and a lot of path issues (a big building at a seniors complex in Mom's case).

I even tried looking into Comcast for her, but gave up after 20 minutes of listening to their irrelevant canned announcements and music on hold.

7521 - 7540 of 11354 Posts