AVS Forum banner

7581 - 7600 of 11356 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7OR /forum/post/16735470

Anyone know who or what organization in our area (Sac-Stockton, etc.) is doing the in-home DTV assistance described on the FCC web site? See...

http://www.dtv.gov/dtv_contractors.html

I've seen something somewhere that suggests this may be contracted thru Best Buy, but not certain if they're the only one.

--Ron

Looks like they allow you to search on this page
http://www.dtv.gov/support.htm?l=EN

And Best Buy is only providing free in home service until June 30th.
http://www.dtv.gov/dtv_resources.htm...&serviceId=642

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess /forum/post/16706212

I would agree that rabbit ears, especially if amplified, should work for 6 and 10. I know 10 is circularly polarized on the original antenna, which is identical to the old channel 13 antenna that I purchased in 1986. We did this to improve reception on rabbit ears, and the theory is still true for digital. I believe the channel 6 antenna has some amount of vertical component, but I could be wrong. If so, rabbit ears should perform OK for 6 also.

The SS-3000 did work on 6 and 10 at the Thai restaurant, so it does sort of work on VHF.

I have one of the RCA flat antennas in my office. On UHF it is better than rabbit ears, but I have not yet tried it on VHF.

Bob

Bob, you may have answered a mystery I have. I have found that I get the best reception from rabbit ears NOT by putting them in a V, or by laying them out horizontally, as is recommended. I get better reception if I have one pole sticking straight up, and the other one perpendicular (flat). Since the antennas put out part horizontal polarization, and a bit of vertical polarization, that explains it, in theory.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After constructing a full size Hoverman antenna for channel 10 frequency (I tripled the dimensions for the uhf sbgh, and deleted the horizontal stubs), I can receive KXTV "most of the time", but still no KVIE. I don't know if anyone wants to give it a try, just an idea. I guess what I have up will do for now.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNinCA /forum/post/16736759

Bob, you may have answered a mystery I have. I have found that I get the best reception from rabbit ears NOT by putting them in a V, or by laying them out horizontally, as is recommended. I get better reception if I have one pole sticking straight up, and the other one perpendicular (flat). Since the antennas put out part horizontal polarization, and a bit of vertical polarization, that explains it, in theory.

Me too! That's exactly how I managed to pull in 10 at my mom's apartment. Looks crazy. Violated everything I ever knew or taught about basic antennas. Thanks for the light bulb moment.

--Ron

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumc /forum/post/16731500

I doubt the FCC will alow KVIE any more power, especially with the Co-channel interference problems with KIXE.

That's what I'm hearing. I guess they're at the max wattage for that height, allowable by the FCC. I hate to loose them. I may consider raising my antennas at the end of the year. Or, maybe they could set up a translator nearby... That would be cool.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPFRINGEGUY /forum/post/16750184

That's what I'm hearing. I guess they're at the max wattage for that height, allowable by the FCC. I hate to loose them. I may consider raising my antennas at the end of the year. Or, maybe they could set up a translator nearby... That would be cool.

I still don't understand why they didn't elect VHF 13 or UHF 31 as their final RF channel instead of being on 9. I know there are stations on those frequencies too, but their patterns don't typically touch KVIE's like KIXE's does.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Guy /forum/post/16752804

I still don't understand why they didn't elect VHF 13 or UHF 31 as their final RF channel instead of being on 9. I know there are stations on those frequencies too, but their patterns don't typically touch KVIE's like KIXE's does.

13 is out because of KNTV on 12. 31 is out because of KQED and KFSN on 30, and now because of KFTY on 32.

- Trip

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/16752840

13 is out because of KNTV on 12. 31 is out because of KQED and KFSN on 30, and now because of KFTY on 32.

- Trip

Is there a problem with using adjacent channels in adjacent markets? If so, why are KUVS18 & KOFY19, KFTY32 & KMTP33, KFSF34 & KCRA35, KCRA35 & KICU36, KCNY39 & KTXL40, KTXL40 & KKPX41, KBCW45 & KSPX46 acceptable? There are similar adjacencies with other stations from the Chico & Sacramento area. I also see nothing on 42.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Guy /forum/post/16753103

Is there a problem with using adjacent channels in adjacent markets? If so, why are KUVS18 & KOFY19, KFTY32 & KMTP33, KFSF34 & KCRA35, KCRA35 & KICU36, KCNY39 & KTXL40, KTXL40 & KKPX41, KBCW45 & KSPX46 acceptable? There are similar adjacencies with other stations from the Chico & Sacramento area. I also see nothing on 42.

The FCC had different interference rules pre-transition than post-transition.

KUVS and KOFY are spaced far enough away. KFTY is at very low power. KFSF and KICU are running directional patterns protecting KCRA. KBCW and KQCA date to pre-transition interference rules. KTXL and KCNS both have directional patterns to some extent, and KKPX is located on a different tower that I figure makes a difference. (I've not studied each one in depth, so one or more could be incorrect.)

42 has issues now with a channel 43 allotment in Sacramento but where KSPX-29 analog was, not co-located. It can't co-locate because of KCSM 43 in San Mateo.

- Trip

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/16752840

- Trip

Trip, what does KNTV(12) have to do with channel 13, where KVIE(9) is concerned? It sounds bizarre to me... I could understand if there was a channel 13 somewhere within their scope; but 12? Can you elaborate on that.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Adjacent channels cause interference within a certain distance. The FCC rule is 14-68 miles, but an interference analysis with a computer will show it clearly.

- Trip

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I wonder how big of a problem adjacent channel interference really is? How big of a difference in signal strengths does it take before the strong one causes a problem for the weak one?

So far when I've viewed stronger signals adjacent to weaker ones as seen on a spectrum analyzer never has my TV been unable to receive the weaker one as long as it was strong enough to be possible to receive. But maybe I have not seen enough difference.

The worst situation I have here is KTLN on 47 sandwiched between KQCA on 46 and KSPX on 48, the latter two being locals and KTLN at 114 miles comes in only with some ducting. All three are the same antenna heading within a couple degrees so there's no rejection of KQCA or KSPX from the antenna pattern. KTLN is in here almost every night and seems to be unaffected by its much stronger neighbors. (I think the maximum difference is about 30dB.)

It's hard to imagine that an adjacent channel in an adjacent market is going to be strong enough to prevent reception of a station in its normal reception area. As an example, I could see where KICU might get interference from KCRA out here in the valley but not the other way around.

Chuck

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/16754613

Adjacent channels cause interference within a certain distance. The FCC rule is 14-68 miles, but an interference analysis with a computer will show it clearly.

- Trip

Really? Is that just with digital? Because we've had 4 and 5 on Sutro forever in analog.

And I thought that one of the benefits of digital was supposed to be less interference with other adjacent stations.

Digital KMTP(33) AND KFSF(34); KKPX(41),KAXT(42), KCSM(43); KQED(30),KPIX(29) are all in the same general broadcast area. The latter two are on the same tower.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPFRINGEGUY /forum/post/16755854

Really? Is that just with digital? Because we've had 4 and 5 on Sutro forever in analog.

4 and 5 are 4 MHz apart. They have a buffer.

Quote:
And I thought that one of the benefits of digital was supposed to be less interference with other adjacent stations.

Digital KMTP(33) AND KFSF(34); KKPX(41),KAXT(42), KCSM(43); KQED(30),KPIX(29) are all in the same general broadcast area. The latter two are on the same tower.

They're on the same tower, or are nearby enough for it to not matter. Check 47CFR73.622, there's a restriction on adjacent channels 14-68 miles away from an allotment. The FCC allowed stations to be short-spaced for the transition and continues to allow short-spacing as long as directional patterns or power restrictions are employed to prevent interference.

- Trip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all,

I've been scratching my head about why I lost KXTV (10.1) ABC at the DTV switch. At first I figured my ATSC Vista Media Center setup was just having problems with the Listings and so forth, but when I plugged my Terk TV-5 (which picked up channel 10 before the switch with marvelous strength) into my TV and scanned in different orientations, I never get so much as a whiff of it. I'm in Folsom, CA.

After reading the past few pages of this thread, it appears I'm not alone. Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex with a moratorium on outdoor antennas, and I have to make do with my Terk TV-5 indoors, which is placed up high and near the balcony (we're on the 2nd floor, facing north).

Upshot: Is there *anything* I can do to get ABC back? Do I have to (gasp) go back to CABLE?!

Thanks!

-Nathan

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Why are KVIE and KMAX off the air this evening? KVIE came back for a couple minutes around 8:15 but went off again. Other stations on the same towers are on and normal strengths.

Chuck

Update: KVIE came back around 8:20 but KMAX is still off at 9:10 pm.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross King II /forum/post/16757027

keodark

They can not restrict you from using an outdoor antenna

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Read above about the law

Unfortunately for renters the rules only apply to "exclusive use" areas such as a patio or balcony and not the roof. Unless a 12' mast gets above the roof from such a location it probably won't help him.

Chuck

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keodark /forum/post/16756688

Hey all,

I've been scratching my head about why I lost KXTV (10.1) ABC at the DTV switch. At first I figured my ATSC Vista Media Center setup was just having problems with the Listings and so forth, but when I plugged my Terk TV-5 (which picked up channel 10 before the switch with marvelous strength) into my TV and scanned in different orientations, I never get so much as a whiff of it. I'm in Folsom, CA.

After reading the past few pages of this thread, it appears I'm not alone. Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex with a moratorium on outdoor antennas, and I have to make do with my Terk TV-5 indoors, which is placed up high and near the balcony (we're on the 2nd floor, facing north).

Upshot: Is there *anything* I can do to get ABC back? Do I have to (gasp) go back to CABLE?!

Thanks!

-Nathan

Have you tried changing the location of the antenna? I am in Fair Oaks and have an outside antenna but have fooled with a TV5 to see how it works here and can get strong signals from KXTV and KVIE with it if I place the antenna in a good spot. The signal strength of all stations varies as I change the location of the antenna in all three dimensions. There are places where it does not receive either station but moving it a few feet gives me very strong signals.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did a rescan of my TIVO HD receiver this evening and I suddenly have a whole bunch of bay area stations I hadn't received before. I'm now getting digital channels for KTVU, KOFY, KRON, KQED, and a few others. Haven't changed the antenna so I'm assuming this is due to great weather conditons or the DTransition has been nice to me...

At any rate KOFY is running Get Smart on Retro Night...life is good!

7581 - 7600 of 11356 Posts