AVS Forum banner

9881 - 9900 of 11354 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
@Calaveras

You are certainly in an interesting location. This shows you that high VHF is better over difficult paths than UHF if you have a decent antenna.

See my previous post.

I know I have a great UHF antenna (91XG) and a great VHF H antenna (you built it). But I can't say for sure if your statement is correct. KTVN is the only station on 13 at my house. But 44 is also home to KKDI, which makes it a Co channel. After seeing what happened to 26 after Meadow Lakes came on the air, between it and Sacramento, I think KKDI might be enough to stop me from getting 44 out of Reno.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24487829

Fingers crossed that it will be a regular addition to my lineup.

That's a tough call......Keep in mind RF 13 (KCBA) also transmits from the same spot as KSBW RF 8 .... (That you already get)

So that's a co-channel problem.... (You may get both ch13 stations) ......as far a "Regular" ........only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24487842

KTVN is the only station on 13 at my house. .

Not so sure about that......

I see KCBA there as close as the town "Gustine" .... and boomin at Bella Vista Park ..... with a slow fade of signal towards Newman.

Your antenna should show something on that.

KTVN looks to stop signal north of Tracy.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24487990

Not so sure about that......

I see KCBA there as close as the town "Gustine" .... and boomin at Bella Vista Park ..... with a slow fade of signal towards Newman.

Your antenna should show something on that.

KTVN looks to stop signal north of Tracy.

It shows KCBA in Newman, but absolutely dead at my house. But then there are signals that site relatively strong on TvFool that I hadn't never seen, and ones no where near me, I get regularly.

How does Co channels work between analog and digital? I do pick up a TVIDIA (Spanish religious network) affiliate from Fresno on analog 13. Does that still create Co channel interference?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24488025

It shows KCBA in Newman, but absolutely dead at my house. But then there are signals that site relatively strong on TvFool that I hadn't never seen, and ones no where near me, I get regularly.

How does Co channels work between analog and digital? I do pick up a TVIDIA (Spanish religious network) affiliate from Fresno on analog 13. Does that still create Co channel interference?

It's not dead at your house.... (In theory) .... Any aircraft flying over will ..."Whip-up" the signal, Reno will drop off, due to multipath and co-channel flutter waves...... Not sure the correct terminology on this.

Chucks antenna... like all quality antennas are directional. So the energy is focused on the front of the antenna.... But only to a certain degree.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24488043

It's not dead at your house.... (In theory) .... Any aircraft flying over will ..."Whip-up" the signal, Reno will drop off, due to multipath and co-channel flutter waves...... Not sure the correct terminology on this.

Chucks antenna... like all quality antennas are directional. So the energy is focused on the front of the antenna.... But only to a certain degree.

Are you talking KCBA?

Can analog and digital on the same rf (13) create interference?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24488055

Are you talking KCBS?

Can analog and digital on the same rf (13) create interference?
Yes, ... The only way analog & digital was working at the same time was to pick different unused channels.

Example .... KCRA 3 (analog) 35 digital

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24488087

Analog is supposed to be toast soon. Don't remember the exact date. I think only 1 year left for analog.

September 1, 2015

That sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24488115

That sounds about right.

So it looks like you have 3 channels using RF 13 at your location..... 2 digital and one analog.

You get 2 out of 3 ..... depending on antenna rotation.

44 still is a mystery.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24488165

So it looks like you have 3 channels using RF 13 at your location..... 2 digital and one analog.

You get 2 out of 3 ..... depending on antenna rotation.

44 still is a mystery.

44 is KSDI Fresno (VF 33)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Ducksfan... I'm amazed at the reception you get! You're constantly pulling more and more stations from miles and miles away. You must be in an area with extremely low noice, little multipath and great wide open spaces from north to south. I'm jealous!

Larry

SF

·
Registered
416 Posts

The attached is my spreadsheet with all of the stations I pick up (including inversion). The quality of reception has GREATLY improved thanks to this forum and very special thanks to @Calaveras  and @Larry Kenney  for the LARGE amount of help provided. Chuck, you build outstanding antenna's and the 91XG really does live up to it's hype (with a pre-amp and distribution amp, of course).

TvChannels-Inversions.xlsx 12k .xlsx file

Shameless plug for @Trip in VA 's  http://www.rabbitears.info

Here is the same list input into rabbit ears DX tool, showing reception and location of all broadcast towers.  http://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=327

Looking forward to adding more as the summer rolls in....

I live right in town, 1 block from the fire department and 2 blocks from the Police department. Lots of trees and 2 story apartment complexes around me, so there has to be some noise. Guess I'm just lucky.

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts

Can you lose a whole blocks of stations from the same area for very short period of time, from an airplane, or a semi parked at a stop sign somewhere in between. Had like 4 channels all from the same broadcast area disappear at the exact same time, and then all came back at the same time about a minute later.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Hey guys... just wanted to report back my results.  I'm super satisfied and impressed.  I owe a special thanks to you guys for the extra help and advice.  You each (you know who you are) contributed greatly to this project of mine.  Chuck, thanks for keeping at me to mount "outside" and for the great advice on the antenna selection.  Josh, your photos helped tremendously.  The rest of you provided lots of encouragement and feedback.  

I went with Chucks advice... bought the Winegard HD7698P antenna.  After mounting it at 15 feet I was blown away by 46 DTV stations and 2 analog (versus none indoors and 24 on the ground with the Winegard).  I was able to get PBS! ABC! and a few others that I was hopeful for.  I was satisfied at this point and was willing to button things up and set up my HTPC WMC.  There were, however, a few stations that seemed very weak and would cut in and out.  So I went with the Winegard LNA-200 boost XT preamp. After connecting it and doing a channel search I was knocked off my feet by 61 DTV stations!!!!!!!!  I get bay area news!  The channels that were weak are now solid.  

I provided some pics so that you guys could all see the work that you contributed to.  I think it is actually a pretty nice looking antenna and I've already had a few compliments.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
^^^^^ Very good antenna and amp. Impressive results. What is your distance from antenna towers? And what type of TV tuner/receiver?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Congratulations, JHughy, on a nice looking installation and for the excellent results! You're getting stations from Sutro Tower in Yuba City? Amazing! Do any of them lock in with a picture?

Keep an eye on these stations during the coming months. There will be times when you should have solid reception for hours during inversions if you're getting them now.

Larry

SF

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24495880

Congratulations, JHughy, on a nice looking installation and for the excellent results! You're getting stations from Sutro Tower in Yuba City? Amazing! Do any of them lock in with a picture?

Keep an eye on these stations during the coming months. There will be times when you should have solid reception for hours during inversions if you're getting them now.

Larry

SF
KRON and KTVU are solid, high quality pictures.  I was super excited to see that I could enjoy those channels once again (used to live in bay area).  
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24495575

^^^^^ Very good antenna and amp. Impressive results. What is your distance from antenna towers? And what type of TV tuner/receiver?
Most stations are 50+miles away.  Not sure on exact distances I'd have to check tvfool.  All I know is that I was hopefull for half of what I ended up with... then got a whole lot more. 

I'm using the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250.  It works great so far.  

Anyone know I'd go about getting WMC guide to populate the "non local" channels?  It seems to only be populating the local channels.  I suspect this has to do with entering in the zip code of my broadcast area when setting up WMC.  This info filters in via the net so I'm wondering how I can get WMC to recognize the other channels and their broadcast areas and then populate them.  Also, channel logo didn't populate the non-local channels as well... likely the same problem.  

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9870#post_24495485

After mounting it at 15 feet I was blown away by 46 DTV stations and 2 analog (versus none indoors and 24 on the ground with the Winegard).  I was able to get PBS! ABC! and a few others that I was hopeful for.  I was satisfied at this point and was willing to button things up and set up my HTPC WMC.  There were, however, a few stations that seemed very weak and would cut in and out.  So I went with the Winegard LNA-200 boost XT preamp. After connecting it and doing a channel search I was knocked off my feet by 61 DTV stations!!!!!!!!  I get bay area news!  The channels that were weak are now solid.

This is terrific news! Thanks for the feedback. Often we never hear back. Now you know why I push for outdoor antennas.

In regards to the Bay Area and other really distant stations, you'll probably have times when they drop out and times when others you don't have scanned in yet will come in. It's almost impossible for that not to happen at that distance. It sounds like you view them for the Bay Area news like I do so they don't have to be ultra reliable just so long as the main Sacramento stations are reliable for recording.

Chuck

9881 - 9900 of 11354 Posts