AVS Forum banner

9921 - 9940 of 11354 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24500702

As Chuck wrote, the wind shouldn't affect your reception. Probably some of the reflective inversion layers aren't as strong, though, due to the wind, so that's why you're seeing break up. You're going to see the signal levels of the distant stations vary a lot with the changing conditions.

If you have time, JHughy, I'd love to see a list of the channels you are receiving up there.

I'm jealous of the results you guys in the Central Valley get.
I've got a 10 element VHF yagi and CM4228 8-bay bow tie pointed at Walnut Grove, just 62 miles away, and only two of the stations, KMAX 31 and KQCA 58, are solid in here. KVIE and KXTV on VHF vary a lot from below the cliff edge to very strong signals depending on conditions, KOVR is mostly below the cliff edge but occasionally makes an appearance, and KCRA is totally unpredictable. It used to be solid, like 31 and 58, but when KGO's translator came on the air KCRA disappeared. I only get the other stations during vary rare, extremely good conditions. There are too many hills and mountains around here for good long distance TV reception.

The KCRA/KGO situation is what happens with co-channel stations. If conditions are such that signals from the South Bay are low and signals from Walnut Grove are higher than normal, I usually get KCRA okay, but under "normal" conditions I get neither one. I have never received KGO's signal on channel 35, but it's strong enough to make a big difference on reception of KCRA.

Larry

SF
You are right... I do have pretty good conditions.

What are inversions?  I cannot find anything on the net regarding the definition to understand what this means.

I will get you a list of channels and also put on there the signal strengths of each channel according to WMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24500894

KHSL is on RF 43 in Chico. You need to turn the antenna around for that and other Chico Stations.

Chuck
I likely won't be turning my antenna anytime soon unless I find a great deal on an easy set-up for a rotator.  Is KHSL a UHF station?  If so would it be wise to put a smaller UHF antenna above the Winegard?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24499186

I built a dual boot Ubuntu (Linux)/Windows 7 machine for stemming to my TV. Including flash based video hosted on sites that a Roku couldn't do. It was a great project, even though they sent me the wrong mother board.

The computer in my office has a (unused TV card) in it. It gets the main channels, but none of the subs. Thinking of pulling it and putting it in the computer I built, no DVR in the garage. Any ideas on how to get the subs?
Maybe this is a setting in your tuner card?  I'm not sure, WMC 8.1 found my subs during a channel search.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you want to come over sometime, bring your S.A., and have a amp shootout let me know.

I have the RCA amp, the CM7777, and two of the kitztech KT200 amps (they have the direct plugin for dc power so there's no dc injector loss)

Bob C

·
Registered
6,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24503618

What are inversions?  I cannot find anything on the net regarding the definition to understand what this means.

Temperature inversions, layers in the atmosphere where warmer air is above cooler air. These are very common in the valleys and form in early evening and last into the morning until solar heating breaks them up. Often in the winter they stay put all day. The top of the valley fog marks an inversion layer. Storms tend to mix the air and prevent them from forming. Radio waves can be bent by inversions and extend the distance a station can be received. The problem is they are unreliable. What's great one day can be zero the next day, or the next hour.

Quote:
I likely won't be turning my antenna anytime soon unless I find a great deal on an easy set-up for a rotator.  Is KHSL a UHF station?  If so would it be wise to put a smaller UHF antenna above the Winegard?

Yes, KHSL is on RF 43. You can put up another smaller UHF antenna but it needs to have its own run of coax with an A/B switch in the house. You cannot just join it in with your existing antenna.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24504082

If you want to come over sometime, bring your S.A., and have a amp shootout let me know.

I have the RCA amp, the CM7777, and two of the kitztech KT200 amps (they have the direct plugin for dc power so there's no dc injector loss)

Bob C

I've measured the KT-200 and some other preamps:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/381623/the-official-avs-antenna-and-related-hardware-topic/15690

Look down the page for the KT-200.

If you'd like to ship me the RCA and even one of the CM7777 preamps I'll measure them, post the results and ship them back. I don't need to see them operate. I only need to measure them. That tells the whole story.

PM me for my address if you're interested.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
JHughy... If you add a UHF antenna pointed north, you'll not only get KHSL 12 (RF43) CBS, but also KCVU 30 (RF 20) Fox, KNVN 24 (RF24) NBC, plus lots of other stations up that way. It might be worth it. You can get the needed A-B switch at Radio Shack or similar store.

I look forward to seeing your station list.

Larry

SF

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is there anyone in this forum besides myself that also receives Fresno stations?

·
Registered
6,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24505438

Is there anyone in this forum besides myself that also receives Fresno stations?

You should look at the Fresno and Bakersfield HDTV forums.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24505398

JHughy... If you add a UHF antenna pointed north, you'll not only get KHSL 12 (RF43) CBS, but also KCVU 30 (RF 20) Fox, KNVN 24 (RF24) NBC, plus lots of other stations up that way. It might be worth it. You can get the needed A-B switch at Radio Shack or similar store.

I look forward to seeing your station list.

Larry

SF
Ok I may consider this option as well... I'm curious though, why can I not just connect the to the same "run" of coaxial via a splitter?  

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24506907

You should look at the Fresno and Bakersfield HDTV forums.

Chuck
Seems like there are people from all over in here, with the common thread beign we all receive Sacramento tv. The are a bunch of new networks on the air (10 w/ 6 more coming tomorrow), was only asking to see if anyone might be in a position to receive them, but not know they signed on last night. 

I have already posted in the Fresno thread, but it is basically dead.

·
Registered
416 Posts
 @Calaveras

I'm not getting the performance on UHF out of the C490 I used to. Would marrying in a Clearstream 2 in with it, on the rotor, pointed the same direction improve things. I have a brand new one sitting in my garage, not being used.

All I did, was switch rotors (inside part only), and from quad (100ft), to double (35ft) shielded RG6. It no longer is going into a distribution amp with unknown footage inside the house.

The actual antenna location and height have not changed at all. It is going into a different LG TV, via a digital loop through in a DVR (not my DVR +).

Was thinking since the Clearstream is just sitting there, could it help bring performance back up if I add it in?

·
Registered
6,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9930#post_24508825

Was thinking since the Clearstream is just sitting there, could it help bring performance back up if I add it in?

No. You cannot do this because the phase of the signal from each antenna will likely be different. Even if you knew the phase difference and then calculated the difference in coax length to put the signals in phase, the phase might shift with frequency due to the construction of different antennas. On top of all that if one antenna had let's say 3 dB more gain than the other, you'd only net about 1 dB gain increase, not enough to bother with. This is why the rule of stacking is always to use two identical antennas.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9900#post_24507150

Ok I may consider this option as well... I'm curious though, why can I not just connect the to the same "run" of coaxial via a splitter?  
It's the same answer for you that Chuck (Calaveras) gave to DucksFan. The output of the two antennas would fight each other due to the phase differences and you'd end up with lots of problems. You'd see a lot worse performance on your present antenna and wouldn't get the full advantage of the one pointed north. You need to install another coax run down to the TV and use the A-B switch.

Larry

SF

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9930#post_24510529

It's the same answer for you that Chuck (Calaveras) gave to DucksFan. The output of the two antennas would fight each other due to the phase differences and you'd end up with lots of problems. You'd see a lot worse performance on your present antenna and wouldn't get the full advantage of the one pointed north. You need to install another coax run down to the TV and use the A-B switch.

Larry

SF
Ok... do you know if my TV tuner (dual tuner) which has two inputs will allow me to connect two antenna's thus eliminating the need for an A-B switch?

My tuner:

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html

·
Registered
6,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9930#post_24511640

Ok... do you know if my TV tuner (dual tuner) which has two inputs will allow me to connect two antenna's thus eliminating the need for an A-B switch?

My tuner:

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html

Taken from their website:

There is one cable TV or TV antenna connector which is split, providing a video source for both tuners.

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts
 @Calaveras (and forum) I need a distribution amp (need to split my signal to at lest 3 sources.

What do you think of the RCA VH140R? Vs the CM3414?

I have one and it works well, but I want to make an informed purchase this time.

Thank you for your opinions

Josh

·
Registered
6,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9930#post_24513017

@Calaveras (and forum) I need a distribution amp (need to split my signal to at lest 3 sources.

What do you think of the RCA VH140R? Vs the CM3414?

I have one and it works well, but I want to make an informed purchase this time.

Thank you for your opinions

Josh

Not much in the way of specs for the RCA except that it has 10 dB gain. I'm using a CM3410 with a separate 4-way splitter and I added a 6 dB attenuator between the distribution amp output and the 4-way splitter input. This reduces the gain to about 2 dB. I didn't need or want bigger signals since this doesn't improve the SNR when you're using a preamp and risks overloading the TV. I just didn't want 7 dB of loss with only a 4 way splitter. The goal was to add in a 4-way splitter and keep the loss/gain close to 0 dB.

Whether the distribution amp needs gain when you're already using a preamp depends on how long the cables are are after splitting. Short cables need little or no gain and very long cables need some gain.

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/9930#post_24513150

Whether the distribution amp needs gain when you're already using a preamp depends on how long the cables are are after splitting. Short cables need little or no gain and very long cables need some gain.

Chuck

I have very marginal signals, and splitting them 4 ways out if the preamp, I'm afraid will cost me dearly.

You think a distribution amp is the way to go? 2 three foot and 2 18 ft lines. Afraid just splitting a weak signal 4 ways will severly degrade.

9921 - 9940 of 11354 Posts