AVS Forum banner

10021 - 10040 of 11356 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Here's an example that I believe must be evidence of indoor multipath. I replaced a television that was having difficulties with one that is more than twice as big. Would reception change? I thought it might some, but here's what I've seen so far. I've done several scans. The antenna is the same. KVIE, which was the less reliable VHF, now is more so. Fox 40, which has been a problem ever since the transition in the room, won't lock. I have scanned it in. 42.1 was first scanned in on the old set more than 5 years ago. It was pretty much never locking. Today, I scanned it in. It locked with no problems. In the past 5 years, I've tried several antennas in this room. Even with more antenna gain, Diablo was a problem. Today, it wasn't. Maybe today was a perfect inversion for Diablo. We'll see. In addition, for the Walnut Grove signals, I've had to change location and height for both VHF and UHF channels.

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
Bob,

There was an audio problem on Friday's delayed broadcast of Whose Line and Hart of Dixie after the game. My receiver said DD but all audio was from the left front speaker.

S~

·
Registered
416 Posts

Today will be a very good test of my antenna rotators, the wind is incessant and strong, trees are bowing , shaking and dancing non-stop. 

@Calaveras   @Larry Kenney  In windy conditions such as this, if it is strong enough to turn the antenna at all, you are best leaving it that way, to prevent any additional strain on the gears? If it will turn it against the internal brake, I know they are test rated at 70+ miles an hour, but I would rather be off point aimed for a day, than put additional unnecessary strain.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Josh... I used to have a terrible time keeping my rotors aligned due to the wind making the antennas turn against the brake. We get a lot of real gusty wind here and that's brutal on the rotors. I'd have to go through a realignment at least two or three times a week. One rotor broke during a real windy day last July, then the other one quit working in October. In December both rotors were removed and not replaced, so all of my antennas are fixed now. There are times when I wish I had rotors up there, but it was getting to be too much of a problem and too expensive to keep replacing them, so I gave up.

Larry

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24707607

Today will be a very good test of my antenna rotators, the wind is incessant and strong, trees are bowing , shaking and dancing non-stop. 

In windy conditions such as this, if it is strong enough to turn the antenna at all, you are best leaving it that way, to prevent any additional strain on the gears. If it will turn it against the internal brake, I know they are test rated at 70+ miles an hour, but I would rather be off point aimed for a day, than put additional unnecessary strain.

IMO there are no TV antenna rotors worth spending my money on. I know that makes people cringe but if a rotor can't handle a TV antenna in just about any wind without turning or breaking then it isn't much of a rotor. You should not be worrying about the wind we have today damaging your rotor with a TV antenna on it. There are no high end TV rotors so your only choice is a low end ham rotor. I know people think those are ridiculously expensive but sometimes things just don't come at the price levels you think they ought to.

A really good used rotor is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIANCE-HD73-ANTENNA-ROTOR-SYSTEM-/181403548032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c7e7980

But you'll need this to go along with it to mount it on a mast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIIANCE-HD-73-ANTENNA-HAM-CB-ROTOR-ROTATOR-MAST-BRACKET-ORIGINAL-OEM-/161278124627?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item258cece253

This is about the least amount of money you can pay for a decent rotor. The next step up is a Yaesu G-450 with lower bracket runs around $400.

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24708053

IMO there are no TV antenna rotors worth spending my money on. I know that makes people cringe but if a rotor can't handle a TV antenna in just about any wind without turning or breaking then it isn't much of a rotor. You should not be worrying about the wind we have today damaging your rotor with a TV antenna on it. There are no high end TV rotors so your only choice is a low end ham rotor. I know people think those are ridiculously expensive but sometimes things just don't come at the price levels you think they ought to.

A really good used rotor is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIANCE-HD73-ANTENNA-ROTOR-SYSTEM-/181403548032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c7e7980

But you'll need this to go along with it to mount it on a mast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIIANCE-HD-73-ANTENNA-HAM-CB-ROTOR-ROTATOR-MAST-BRACKET-ORIGINAL-OEM-/161278124627?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item258cece253

This is about the least amount of money you can pay for a decent rotor. The next step up is a Yaesu G-450 with lower bracket runs around $400.

Chuck
Remember my rotor has to antennas on it, one a foot above (yours) and the 91XG 5 ft above it, so I have a lot of drag on it and coming from way above it, It is holding up pretty well I think for 40 ft above the ground. Do you agree?

The one thing I like about mine now is the remote control and multiple preset locations.

I think I will have to leave it up until the wind kills it, at which point I will replace it with your above suggestions. Hopefully go another 20 ft up at the same time as well.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24708085

Remember my rotor has to antennas on it, one a foot above (yours) and the 91XG 5 ft above it, so I have a lot of drag on it and coming from way above it, It is holding up pretty well I think for 40 ft above the ground. Do you agree?

Let's hope it continues to hold up.

Quote:
The one think I like about mine now is the remote control and multiple preset locations.

Another advantage of the ham rotors is that they have a position indicator so they never get out of sync. Presets are less common because the antenna may need to point in any direction making them less useful.

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts

ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THINGS LIKE THIS??

From the latest episode of NCIS: Los Angeles. Thats an old school tv, with rabbit ears, no converter box, no way it would still be any good, lol. Was on screen for like 2 seconds in a rolling pan.

I also notice things like the new KIA commercials, While the lady is talking, the house in the background (her house) has a big ol tv antenna on top of it.

I really am a nerd, lol.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24708222

ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THINGS LIKE THIS??

From the latest episode of NCIS: Los Angeles. Thats an old school tv, with rabbit ears, no converter box, no way it would still be any good, lol. Was on screen for like 2 seconds in a rolling pan.

I also notice things like the new KIA commercials, While the lady is talking, the house in the background (her house) has a big ol tv antenna on top of it.

I really am a nerd, lol.

Wal*mart was selling tube type "DTV-SDTV" sets .... up until as recently as.... 2012

So maybe around 2% of tube type sets >> actually don't need any converters.

Some drugstores such as walgreens, were selling black & white 13" sets up until about 2001

They were priced around 39 to 49 bucks.

Black & white sets are getting kinda rare now........... Even more rare ..... is the modern "solid-state" ones like mentioned above....(No tubes)

Feeling kinda retro ?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24706628

Bob,

There was an audio problem on Friday's delayed broadcast of Whose Line and Hart of Dixie after the game. My receiver said DD but all audio was from the left front speaker.

S~

Yes, we had a problem with a decoder. Fixed now.

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
Thanks Bob.

S~

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24711576

Here in Stockton my 34 year old Alliance Tenna-Rotor atop a 40 foot mast has performed without a hitch. Are the newer rotors less robust?

I assume it's a U-100 or similar number. They all used the same rotor, just different control boxes. The U-100 was a very good rotor and more than up to the task to turn the largest TV antenna. As long as the rotor capacitor doesn't fail (which is common) the rotor will turn forever. Greasing it might be a good idea.

The new rotors are not nearly as good as a U-100.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
Ch. 10 ABC

Is anyone else experiencing really bad breakup on Ch 10? Trying to figure if it is a station issue or Comcast. Still bad this morning. Last night's recordings were unwatchable.

S~

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
For those with good antennas, KEMO has added another sub-channel, 50.2, the BOLD TV Network. It appears to be another network of older TV shows like ME-TV, Antenna TV and Retro TV.

Larry

SF

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24711755

Yes, we had a problem with a decoder. Fixed now.
Worked fine Friday.

S~

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone have any idea what happened with KTNC 42.4, now 42.5?

They added a new subchannel, but instead of adding the new oldies station to the new subchannel, they "bumped" the subchannels all up a subchannel. The old 42.4, now moved to 42.5, shows up in the PSIP, but it has been a test pattern 24/7 for couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24781274

Last night while watching KCRA it went out on me. This morning I did a channel scan and tons of channels are weak signal. KCRA and KVIE were out yet KXTV worked with full signal strength (strange cause it's further than the rest).

The temperature inversions are at it again. KCRA (and others) were out here the last two mornings. KVIE was the only Walnut Grove station unaffected. I think it's because of their low gain antenna.OTOH Salinas stations have been booming.

Chuck

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras  /t/397256/sacramento-ca-ota/10020#post_24781946

The temperature inversions are at it again. KCRA (and others) were out here the last two mornings. KVIE was the only Walnut Grove station unaffected. I think it's because of their low gain antenna.OTOH Salinas stations have been booming.

Chuck

Do you ever lose KSBW 8?

10021 - 10040 of 11356 Posts