AVS Forum banner

11181 - 11200 of 11352 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
What does "50" mean? Is that Signal Quality? Maybe you had multipath when KTXL was on RF 40 but you don't on RF 22. Your description of your location sounds like that is likely. 10% power sounds like really low power but they're running 100KW still. For all but the fringe areas 100KW should be more than enough power. I'd be curious to hear what happens when they increase to 1MW. Please report back.

You might look at your Rabbitears report to see the Noise Margin in dB then subtract 10 dB. If it's 20 dB or higher then higher power probably won't do anything for you.

Chuck
Yes, 50 is signal quality. I am sure I had multi path before. Antenna has a rotor so there was 2 intermittent fair signals but would come and go depending on the wind, fog etc. We gave up doing reliable recording of our favorite shows on 40 for a few years.
I have been watching the sig level and it reliably stays above 50... I am very pleased! Will report back when they bump up to 1MW. All other channels come in above 50... Heck 29 is now a boomer hahahaaa!

Over the years I have perused this forum for any news of others struggling with 40... Did not seem too prevalent. My property is in the worse spot for Digital signals coming from Walnut Grove anyway. Couple the hill in the way along with tall dense trees and I am lucky that we even get OTA TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rumor has it that a helicopter pulled down the old KXTV analog antenna from Transtower and replaced with KSPX's new antenna. I imagine they'll be at 1 MW within the next couple weeks (based on their CP).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are you having a similar problem with KVIE? They transmit on RF channel 9, while KXTV is on channel 10. Looking at them on a spectrum analyzer, they appear to be pretty equal as far as signal strength goes. So, just curious if only KXTV is giving you fits? I haven't noticed anything changing recently.
I was watching KXTV this morning and the picture was perfectly clear for hours until about 30 minutes ago.
I just switched to KVIE to compare and I’m seeing similar problems there right now.

3, 13, 31, 40 and 58 are all fine. Only 6 and 10 are having issues off and on.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I suspect that your antenna for VHF is not as good as your UHF antenna. You need one that has more gain to cover the times when the VHF signals deteriorate.

Here in San Francisco the VHF signals from Walnut Grove often weaken during the daytime, then get stronger toward sunset. They’re the best overnight and early in the morning.

Larry

·
Registered
186 Posts
I suspect that your antenna for VHF is not as good as your UHF antenna. You need one that has more gain to cover the times when the VHF signals deteriorate.

Here in San Francisco the VHF signals from Walnut Grove often weaken during the daytime, then get stronger toward sunset. They’re the best overnight and early in the morning.

Larry
Could it be that the VHF stations just have weaker signals?
How can I get strong UHF and VHF at the same time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you all for the info on this site. I live in midtown Sacramento and have an antenna mounted on my second floor close to the roof. (I'm using the RCA ANT705E antenna.) Back in March, I spent quite a bit of time finding the best location.

Now, after the channel packing, KQCA is now unwatchable. It was rock solid before this. FOX and CBS are watchable, but have frequent dropouts and pixelation. KCRA has stayed rock solid.

I'm wondering if this is temporary as I saw some posts where some stations were broadcasting at lower than normal power? How can I see the power level being broadcast for myself?

Or, maybe my issue is that trees now have leaves and I need to move the anntenna outside to my roof to get the best signal. This would be quite a bit of work, that I don't really want to do if the power will soon be improved.

I'm using the Sling AirTV 2, as a receiver. Unfortunately it only gives 5 bars and not the actual signal strength.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Could it be that the VHF stations just have weaker signals?
The VHF stations are not weaker than the UHF stations. Here's a list of Noise Margins (Signal-to-Noise Ratio without any multipath affects) of the major Sacramento stations from my old foothill location:

UHF in dB

KCRA - 33
KOVR - 40
KMAX - 46
KTXL - 32
KQCA - 26
KSPX - 30

VHF in dB

KVIE - 32
KXTV - 35

You can see that the VHF stations are right in the middle of the pack.

How can I get strong UHF and VHF at the same time?
I have not gone back through all your previous posts. Can you post your Rabbitears report and a description of your antennas/setup?

Chuck

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Or, maybe my issue is that trees now have leaves and I need to move the anntenna outside to my roof to get the best signal. This would be quite a bit of work, that I don't really want to do if the power will soon be improved.

I'm using the Sling AirTV 2, as a receiver. Unfortunately it only gives 5 bars and not the actual signal strength.

If you have an indoor antenna and you're looking through trees that is most likely the problem. Most of the Sacramento stations are running full power. It would help to see your Rabbitears report and your antenna setup. If you can't post a link you can post the ID # from your report.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Trip - How do you tell which station listing is in use when there are multiple listings under Technical Data in Rabbitears? For example KOVR has 4 listings but I don't know which one is actually on the air.

Chuck

·
Registered
186 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have an indoor antenna and you're looking through trees that is most likely the problem. Most of the Sacramento stations are running full power. It would help to see your Rabbitears report and your antenna setup. If you can't post a link you can post the ID # from your report.

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck.

I just ran Rabbit ears — report # 89844 and took two photos, one of the antenna and the other from my second story window looking to the south. Moving the antenna outside to the peak of the roof would get me about 10’ in height and avoid going through the wall and roof. Another option is the attic, however the signal strength back then was generally worse than the current location. (Note that the receiver only shows 1-5 bars, so I can’t be too sure exactly of the signal strength.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,274 Posts
Trip - How do you tell which station listing is in use when there are multiple listings under Technical Data in Rabbitears? For example KOVR has 4 listings but I don't know which one is actually on the air.

Chuck
The one at the top of the list is the "current" facility, while a post-repack CP or application will be the "post-repack" facility. In the case of KOVR, the DTV-STA entry is "current" while the DTV-CP entry is "post-repack."

- Trip

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

Your problem with VHF is that you don't have a VHF antenna. You have more than enough antenna for UHF. I'd replace it with a Winegard HD7694P. Should be plenty adequate since all your stations are line-of-sight. Try not to point into trees or buildings.

The VHF stations are engineered to have the same signal strength as the UHF stations assuming you have a VHF antenna.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Thanks, Chuck.

I just ran Rabbit ears — report # 89844 and took two photos, one of the antenna and the other from my second story window looking to the south. Moving the antenna outside to the peak of the roof would get me about 10’ in height and avoid going through the wall and roof. Another option is the attic, however the signal strength back then was generally worse than the current location. (Note that the receiver only shows 1-5 bars, so I can’t be too sure exactly of the signal strength.

It looks like your antenna is a UHF only antenna. Like what I just posted, you need a VHF/UHF antenna. The Winegard HD7694P outside would be appropriate for you too. There is a lot of attenuation going through walls.

The repack has revealed that there are a whole bunch of people in the SF and Sacramento markets using UHF antennas and expecting them to work on VHF. Everyone seems to have a reason why they ended up without a VHF antenna even though both markets have VHF and UHF stations.

Your 1-5 bar meter is a Signal Quality meter which tells you almost nothing about signal strength.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
The one at the top of the list is the "current" facility, while a post-repack CP or application will be the "post-repack" facility. In the case of KOVR, the DTV-STA entry is "current" while the DTV-CP entry is "post-repack."

- Trip

I must be blind. How do you identify a post-repack CP or APP? I don't see anything in the KOVR DTV-CP listing that would tell me that.

Chuck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your problem with VHF is that you don't have a VHF antenna. You have more than enough antenna for UHF. I'd replace it with a Winegard HD7694P. Should be plenty adequate since all your stations are line-of-sight. Try not to point into trees or buildings.

The VHF stations are engineered to have the same signal strength as the UHF stations assuming you have a VHF antenna.

Chuck
Do most cities only have UHF stations? I can’t understand why antenna manufacturers would sell antennas that aren’t optimized for both UHF and VHF or else all stations don’t all use UHF so there are not these conflicts.
Did KXTV and KVIE somehow end up on the short end of the stick and VHF was all that was left for them to chose from when they were acquiring their frequencies many years ago?

If I get the Winegard antenna, does that work for both UHF and VHF?
I wonder if an indoor antenna with VHF would work from this location? Once I tried just plugging in a plain 6ft piece of coax without any antenna connected to one of my televisions and I was able to pick up a few stations such as KCRA.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Chuck
I just looked up the HD7694P and thought it looked familiar. So, I looked up my orders on Amazon and saw that I had that exact same antenna installed in 2009 and it worked pretty well until last year when it suddenly started getting poor reception on multiple channels.

The antenna guy tried repositioning it to no avail and then recommended I swap it with the one I have now. The new antenna has been working well enough for all local channels until I started having issues with KXTV a few weeks ago. I rarely look at KVIE, so I didn’t notice any issues there until I checked it yesterday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It looks like your antenna is a UHF only antenna. Like what I just posted, you need a VHF/UHF antenna. The Winegard HD7694P outside would be appropriate for you too. There is a lot of attenuation going through walls.

The repack has revealed that there are a whole bunch of people in the SF and Sacramento markets using UHF antennas and expecting them to work on VHF. Everyone seems to have a reason why they ended up without a VHF antenna even though both markets have VHF and UHF stations.

Your 1-5 bar meter is a Signal Quality meter which tells you almost nothing about signal strength.

Chuck
According to the RCA website, antenna, model ANT705E4, receives “both high VHF and UHF digital TV broadcast signals.” The instruction manual shows dipoles for both UHF and VHF.

In any case, I get KCRA (channel 35) just fine, but KQCA (channel 23) barely works. Both are UHF channels, correct? KQCA worked fine until the repack. KCRA didn’t change in the repack and still works fine. Both appear to be on the same tower as the direction (183.2 degrees true) and distance (21.9 miles) are identical.

So, I’m thinking either the power output is lower for KQCA, the antenna is much lower on the tower and I’m getting more interference from trees and buildings. Or, possibly the antenna is positioned so that a tower leg is blocking the signal.

Several people have posted that power output can be temporarily reduced and that can be found per an FCC website. I’m wanting to know how to check that.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Do most cities only have UHF stations? I can’t understand why antenna manufacturers would sell antennas that aren’t optimized for both UHF and VHF or else all stations don’t all use UHF so there are not these conflicts.
Did KXTV and KVIE somehow end up on the short end of the stick and VHF was all that was left for them to chose from when they were acquiring their frequencies many years ago?

If I get the Winegard antenna, does that work for both UHF and VHF?
I wonder if an indoor antenna with VHF would work from this location? Once I tried just plugging in a plain 6ft piece of coax without any antenna connected to one of my televisions and I was able to pick up a few stations such as KCRA.

There are some UHF only markets but most have at least one, especially after the re-pack. You can buy a high VHF antenna to add to your UHF antenna.

https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2475/fringe-directional-antenna-vhf/dp/48Y8141?ost=48Y8141&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http:en-US/Element14_US/search

With the strong signals you have the HD7694P (VHF & UHF) should be more than enough antenna. I don't know why you had trouble with it before. Maybe you have trees that have grown in and are causing problems.

Rabbitears shows the Noise Margin of the Walnut Grove stations is 50-70 dB. Those are HUGE signals. Non-reception is not due to weak signals. It has to be due to multipath issues.

Chuck

·
Registered
186 Posts
There are some UHF only markets but most have at least one, especially after the re-pack. You can buy a high VHF antenna to add to your UHF antenna.

https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2475/fringe-directional-antenna-vhf/dp/48Y8141?ost=48Y8141&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http:en-US/Element14_US/search

With the strong signals you have the HD7694P (VHF & UHF) should be more than enough antenna. I don't know why you had trouble with it before. Maybe you have trees that have grown in and are causing problems.

Rabbitears shows the Noise Margin of the Walnut Grove stations is 50-70 dB. Those are HUGE signals. Non-reception is not due to weak signals. It has to be due to multipath issues.

Chuck
No new trees planted or replacing the antenna with the new one wouldn’t have solved anything last year. It worked much better than the old antenna from the day it was installed until recently. Still mostly works better because when the Winegard was failing, I was having problems with more than just VHF the stations.
Do The Winegard antennas have parts that degrade after 10 years and need to be periodically replaced?

11181 - 11200 of 11352 Posts