AVS Forum banner

11241 - 11260 of 11354 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I checked with my contact over there -- he said that yes, they do have a complete backup on Transtower.

After searching all the listings in the FCC LMS for KCRA I finally found what I believe is the License to Cover for the facility on the Transtower back in 2004. Lat/Lon listed in the App are correct and the antenna height is about 100m lower.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/draftCopy.html?displayType=html&appKey=d0cd05995e4b4499a1fdcf6212b6c0ea&id=d0cd05995e4b4499a1fdcf6212b6c0ea&goBack=N

Why this doesn't show up in TV Query I have no idea. All the other licensed facilities seem to appear in TV Query. These inconsistencies in the FCC database drive me crazy. You have to have inside information to be sure what information you read is correct.

Chuck

·
Registered
771 Posts
Why this doesn't show up in TV Query I have no idea. All the other licensed facilities seem to appear in TV Query.
It looks like something got lost in the shuffle along the way when they imported the CDBS data to the LMS. The CDBS applications and items have more details in the various public notices, correspondences and attachments that didn't make it over to the LMS entries.

Transtower was their original DTV facility first granted in 1998 (BPCDT-19980731KL):
LMS application

They filed a license to cover for that in 2004 (BLCDT-20040122ADR):
CDBS Application
LMS Application

They filed a modification to move to their own tower in 2008 (BPCDT-20080208AEM):
CDBS Application
LMS Application

They filed for the license to cover for that in 2009 (BLCDT-20090915ACY).
CDBS Application
LMS Application

A few weeks later, they filed another modification to make the previous Transtower facility their Aux facility (BXMLCDT-20090930AOO), but since it was based on the license to cover from 2004, which by that point was already considered superceded for the 2009 facility, its current status might have gotten lost in translation when they imported the CDBS data into the new LMS system:
CDBS Application
LMS Application

And to make things more complicated, in 2011 they had to file an amendment to the 2009 license to cover and a modification (BMLCDT-20110630AGB) to correct a typo in the antenna type listed in the 2008 modification:
CDBS Amended Application
LMS Amended Application
CDBS Modification
LMS Modification

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rotating their antenna would not affect your signal.
And just how do you KNOW that?????????? Your one time spectrum image of Bob's reception does not prove anything. Bob's location is NOT MY location. And only one image for one time on one day is NOT representative of what is going on over months of daily observations.

I'm not sure what is going on with the KCRA/KQCA antenna. Neither station shows an antenna pattern in their FCC listing. They just say "omni-directional." Usually in this case that means the antenna is truly omni-directional, not one of those antennas with the ripply pattern. Any antenna that is not truly omni-directional has a pattern shown in the FCC listing. I have to go with the FCC data and the antenna is truly omni-directional. The documents you linked to are not for the exact KCRA antenna so we don't know for sure what the pattern looks like.
Just for your info, here are representative azimuth and elevation patterns for the Dielectric Deltastar Wide-Band UHF Panel Antennas. (This is the KCRA/KQCA antenna.) Note: patterns are representative only, since patterns differ with channel frequency!!!! You would have to talk to Dielectric to get the REAL data if they would even release it.

Azimuth Patterns for Dielectric Deltastar Wide-Band UHF Panel Antennas
https://www.dielectric.com/antenna/tu-series-deltastar/
(Click on "Azimuth Images" tab.)

Elevation Patterns for Dielectric Deltastar Wide-Band UHF Panel Antennas
http://www.dielectric.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/TU-Series-Deltawing-Deltastar-Deltalite.pdf

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
And just how do you KNOW that?????????? Your one time spectrum image of Bob's reception does not prove anything. Bob's location is NOT MY location. And only one image for one time on one day is NOT representative of what is going on over months of daily observations.
Yes it is. The azimuth difference is 0.8 degrees and the elevation difference is around 0.2 degrees. The signal will not vary much at all with such a small difference. Signals don't vary over months except due to the effects of temperature inversions.

Just for your info, here are representative azimuth and elevation patterns for the Dielectric Deltastar Wide-Band UHF Panel Antennas. (This is the KCRA/KQCA antenna.) Note: patterns are representative only, since patterns differ with channel frequency!!!! You would have to talk to Dielectric to get the REAL data if they would even release it.

http://www.dielectric.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/TU-Series-Deltawing-Deltastar-Deltalite.pdf
This make sense. The azimuth pattern variance is about 1.4 dB. That's so small that it would be unnoticed by almost everyone. That would not be the difference between good reception and no reception.

Chuck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Please provide a link to the license for this aux transmitter. I don't see it in the FCC database. Most of the Walnut Grove stations have either a license or a construction permit for a back-up station. KCRA does not. They used to operate from that shorter tower back around the transition but not for a long time.

Chuck

KCRA has maintained a backup at Transtower for many years. KXTV gave up their backup about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I can say one thing.. KCRA is NOT going to do anything about this this issue. So what is the use arguing about this at all? With the current COVID situation draining revenue, spending money on another antenna is never ever going to happen now.

Bill H.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
KCRA has maintained a backup at Transtower for many years. KXTV gave up their backup about 10 years ago.
I think you're behind on the conversation. ;) We found the License to Cover grant from 2004 for the back-up facility.

KXTV has a construction permit for a back-up antenna on the same tower as their current antenna. Looks like they have not given up after all. :)

Chuck

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I can say one thing.. KCRA is NOT going to do anything about this this issue. So what is the use arguing about this at all?

We're not arguing about KCRA changing their antenna. We all know that's not going to happen. The argument is about whether KCRA's antenna is causing his lack of reception. I've presented evidence that I believe shows KCRA's signal is adequate in the direction of Pollock Pines. He believes otherwise but he has not presented any evidence to support that claim. Linking to data sheets (which don't support the claim anyway) and appeal to authority (himself) is not evidence.

Even if KCRA is weaker at his location, it's more likely it has to do with what is between his antenna and the transmitter (vegetation) than it is the KCRA antenna.

Chuck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Even if KCRA is weaker at his location, it's more likely it has to do with what is between his antenna and the transmitter (vegetation) than it is the KCRA antenna.
Nothing but sky (as I have said before, my 91XG is pointed upward above the trees and hills where multipath DOES NOT EXIST.)

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
upward above the trees and hills
Okay, now I can join the ranks of the confused. Why would your antenna be aimed upward? I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) you were at a high elevation overlooking the valley.

- Trip

·
Registered
299 Posts
Okay, now I can join the ranks of the confused. Why would your antenna be aimed upward? I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) you were at a high elevation overlooking the valley.

- Trip
After extensive antenna placement trials, I found my 91XG performed best at ground level with the antenna pointing upward at about 30 or 40 degrees or so. Signal reflected off the ground and reaching the 91XG perpendicular to the antenna also provides additional signal and boosts reception strength, demonstrated by blocking the side of the antenna from the ground with metal siding which cuts off the additional signal and reception. Signal paths curve in the atmosphere due to air temperature and density gradients which affect the speed of light resulting in faster and slower wave propagation speeds differing between the higher and lower portions of the wave, bending the wave and it's path. UHF signals transmitted upward from Walnut Grove towers roughly follow earth's curvature initially upward, then head downward and happen to arrive at my location from the sky. My antenna is at about 3200 ft. You don't aim your antenna straight downward to where you might visually see the tower. You aim your antenna along the path the signal travels to your antenna. Since the path resides above in the sky, there are no objects along the way to create multipath. And Chuck can't seem to accept that scientific reality.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Nothing but sky (as I have said before, my 91XG is pointed upward above the trees and hills where multipath DOES NOT EXIST.)

- Trip

Because as he just posted, he believes the signals take a magical 45 degree downward bend. :D There's another post somewhere in the past (good luck finding it) where he told me his antennas are pointed 45 degrees up into the sky because that's where the signals are coming from. :confused: I don't know exactly what is happening, but I'm sure this is a complete misinterpretation of the situation.

So now we know there are trees and hills between him and the transmitters. All bets are off in this situation. Almost anything is possible. I think that when you don't have LOS it is common for one or two stations to be more problematic than all the others.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I remember when this thread was actually useful.

This discussion may not be useful to you but it is useful and here's why. A lot of bad information and advice gets posted here on the forums. I've seen a lot of posts where someone new came along who had read bad advice and put up an antenna based on that and they had poor reception. If someone had countered the bad information in the original thread the new person might have seen it and changed their installation.

I only concern myself with the 3 markets I have first hand experience with; SF, Sacramento and Tucson.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
After extensive antenna placement trials, I found my 91XG performed best at ground level with the antenna pointing upward at about 30 or 40 degrees or so. Signal reflected off the ground and reaching the 91XG perpendicular to the antenna also provides additional signal and boosts reception strength, demonstrated by blocking the side of the antenna from the ground with metal siding which cuts off the additional signal and reception. Signal paths curve in the atmosphere due to air temperature and density gradients which affect the speed of light resulting in faster and slower wave propagation speeds differing between the higher and lower portions of the wave, bending the wave and it's path. UHF signals transmitted upward from Walnut Grove towers roughly follow earth's curvature initially upward, then head downward and happen to arrive at my location from the sky. My antenna is at about 3200 ft. You don't aim your antenna straight downward to where you might visually see the tower. You aim your antenna along the path the signal travels to your antenna. Since the path resides above in the sky, there are no objects along the way to create multipath. And Chuck can't seem to accept that scientific reality.

This is among the most bizarre theories I've ever heard. Does anyone actually believe that signals go up in the air and then get bent down 30-40 degrees? If that was true you'd be able to receive stations hundreds of miles away all the time. You can't. You'd be able to receive stations over mountains that had 10 degree horizons. You can't. Temperature inversions over large areas gently bend the signals increasing the distance they can be received. Diffraction over mountains is generally limited to

·
Registered
299 Posts
KSPX seems back at some higher power level today
Ditto! I now receive every mainstream Walnut Grove station EXCEPT for KCRA. I still would greatly appreciate a notification post from someone anytime KCRA is on backup antenna so I can finally verify their main antenna is the culprit behind the lack of reception at my location.

Thanx

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your problem with VHF is that you don't have a VHF antenna. You have more than enough antenna for UHF. I'd replace it with a Winegard HD7694P. Should be plenty adequate since all your stations are line-of-sight. Try not to point into trees or buildings.

The VHF stations are engineered to have the same signal strength as the UHF stations assuming you have a VHF antenna.

Chuck
I ordered the antenna plus preamp. I plan to split it to 3 TVs.
Do I also need a distribution amplifier In addition to the preamp to split the signal 3 ways? Channel Master makes a 4 port DA, but they are out of stock. They only gave 8 port DAs ready to ship.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I ordered the antenna plus preamp. I plan to split it to 3 TVs.
Do I also need a distribution amplifier In addition to the preamp to split the signal 3 ways? Channel Master makes a 4 port DA, but they are out of stock. They only gave 8 port DAs ready to ship.

I need more info. I need to see your Rabbitears report so I can see how strong your signals are. If you posted it before I can't find it. What preamp did you order? How long is the coax from the antenna to the most distant TV?

Chuck

11241 - 11260 of 11354 Posts