AVS Forum banner

11301 - 11320 of 11354 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's one of the area Low Power analog channel 6 stations that operate as a franken FM station because of their audio carrier on 87.75. Based on your location, it's KEFM-LP:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/publicFacilityTechDetails.html?facilityId=127996&applicationId=25076f917087f6060170a25605ec2a0b
I have noticed them being on the air for a number of years. What I do not understand is how this is legal per FCC rules? Their license says they are licensed as being 3KW. For analog TV the power is measured as visual tip of sync power but their visual carrier as observed here in Fair Oaks is 20dB BELOW their aural carrier. For a normal analog TV station the aural power should be if memory serves 10% of the visual power. In other words for a normal analog TV station the visual power should be above the aural power not 20dB lower. They are licensed to occupy 6MHz of spectrum but in effect they are only using a few hundred KHz centered on the aural carrier.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Please go back and read my last post. Check what I quoted before the "equations" comment. Check what I quoted before the Belden comment (where I agreed with it).
…..
The fix is not to replace the coax but to keep highest connectors dry. Unless you have something physically blocking water from reaching the connectors, you can't keep them dry.
…...
You quoted the opening paragraph that I provided as an introduction to the article which says cable gets wet and dries out, but missed the points discussed in the article. DID YOU READ THE ENTIRE BELDEN BLOG "WATERBLOCKING" ARTICLE (NOT JUST THE OPENING PARAGRAPH)??????

My cables are over 10 years old, and, of course, the jackets have degraded over time, as all jackets do, maybe developing pinholes. I don't know if the jackets are PVC or PE because I had no need to concern myself with that before DTV came along. PVC is many times more permeable to moisture than PE. One of my cables is bulk ChannelMaster cable, and ChannelMaster does not even specify what their jackets are made of. But I know my cables are presently overly permeable to water and need to be replaced. I already TOLD you my antenna preamp connectors are booted, i.e. "physically blocked from water reaching the connectors." There is NO quick connector fix here! I will be replacing the cables with PE jacketed, gel water blocked, direct burial cables which will solve the problem for many years to come. And that is GOOD advice to others with old, possibly PVC jacketed, leaky outdoor cables.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have noticed them being on the air for a number of years. What I do not understand is how this is legal per FCC rules? Their license says they are licensed as being 3KW. For analog TV the power is measured as visual tip of sync power but their visual carrier as observed here in Fair Oaks is 20dB BELOW their aural carrier. For a normal analog TV station the aural power should be if memory serves 10% of the visual power. In other words for a normal analog TV station the visual power should be above the aural power not 20dB lower. They are licensed to occupy 6MHz of spectrum but in effect they are only using a few hundred KHz centered on the aural carrier.
Trip in VA could probably explain if they're violating any rules by giving most of their power to the audio carrier, or if the rules never specified how the power must be distributed so they're exploiting a loophole to increase their coverage area.

Doing so would extend the reach of their signal beyond the contours that the FCC's prediction model uses for analog TV, and potentially create additional interference to other RF 6 stations since the reach would be comparable to some full power FM stations. I think WNYZ-LP in the NYC area is doing something similar since there's a stretch of road in the Poconos where I can pick it up on my car radio. People in the Cleveland thread mentioned similar behavior with WLFM-LP where the picture on analog 6 is very weak and snowy.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
My cables are over 10 years old, and, of course, the jackets have degraded over time, as all jackets do, maybe developing pinholes.

Maybe they've improved the material. Some of the cables I had out for more than 10 years showed jacket degradation but most didn't. My rotor cable was out for over 15 years and when I left the jacket looked new, black, flexible, no sign of damage. Same for the Andrews Heliax. Not so for off brand Heliax. LMR-600 was good too but it only had about 5 years on it. The CATV semi-air dielectric 75 ohm hardline I used for TV was still good at 20 years. I got it from a friend who had it sitting outside for who knows how many years. All jackets may degrade over time but for some it's a very long time.

I'm done arguing about this. Instead I'm going to run a test. I've cut a foot long piece of RG-6 from ACE Hardware and stuck it in a glass of water with the ends up and out of the water. I'll check it everyday for the first week by taking it out of the water, drying the outside of the jacket and putting the ends down on a paper towel to see if any water comes out. I'm willing to do this for at least a month. A month of continuous underwater should permeate the jacket if it's going to happen. If water ever comes out, I'm wrong. If water never comes out, you're wrong.

Chuck

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unless you know for sure that your TV meter is a Signal Strength meter, it's most likely a Signal Quality meter. TV manufacturers mislabel the meter all the time.

It looks like you have some multipath issues. There's no way that KOVR is significantly weaker than KMAX. KTFK is never stronger than KOVR. It's always 10-12 dB weaker. I've measured it from a number of widely varying locations. They're on the same tower.

KUVS probably has a higher reading because it's transmitting from a different site.

Chuck
Ok, so today I moved my antenna about 10-feet higher and about 15-feet north. I removed the RCA preamp and installed the Kitztech 200, but my results were not good for VHF.

All the UHF stations came in stronger (all had strong signals in the 70s to upper 80s with same TV as my previous post)...The exception was KVIE Ch 6.1 and KXTV 10.1. Their signal went to zero basically . I troubleshooted everything...looks like it is due to moving the antenna location.

I can't believe 15-feet make a difference with VHF...any thoughts?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Ok, so today I moved my antenna about 10-feet higher and about 15-feet north. I removed the RCA preamp and installed the Kitztech 200, but my results were not good for VHF.

All the UHF stations came in stronger (all had strong signals in the 70s to upper 80s with same TV as my previous post)...The exception was KVIE Ch 6.1 and KXTV 10.1. Their signal went to zero basically . I troubleshooted everything...looks like it is due to moving the antenna location.

Thanks
Joe

There must be something else going on affecting VHF. It makes no sense that VHF can't be received at all. I assume you're still using the RCA antenna that covers high and low VHF.

When you said this in an earlier post, "I am only using the smaller elements as I don't need low VHF." What did you mean by that? You didn't remove the larger elements did you?

Chuck

·
Registered
169 Posts

Thanks
Joe

There must be something else going on affecting VHF. It makes no sense that VHF can't be received at all. I assume you're still using the RCA antenna that covers high and low VHF.

When you said this in an earlier post, "I am only using the smaller elements as I don't need low VHF." What did you mean by that? You didn't remove the larger elements did you?

Chuck

Thanks for responding Chuck...

I didn’t modify the antenna, I just didn’t install the extensions for low VHF that came with the antenna.

I looked at everything. New cable, different antenna, with amp, without amp, etc. I ended up moving it back to the original location and the VHF channels are working again.

Original location is 15’ south of the new location. Both are on the same gable, new location is at my roof peak to get more height. Very odd...

I am going to move it back to the new location as it is an improvement for all but 2 channels...I just ran out of daylight. I may try a different antenna...who knows

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Thanks for responding Chuck...

I didn’t modify the antenna, I just didn’t install the extensions for low VHF that came with the antenna.

I looked at everything. New cable, different antenna, with amp, without amp, etc. I ended up moving it back to the original location and the VHF channels are working again.

Original location is 15’ south of the new location. Both are on the same gable, new location is at my roof peak to get more height. Very odd...

I am going to move it back to the new location as it is an improvement for all but 2 channels...I just ran out of daylight. I may try a different antenna...who knows

I downloaded the manual for your antenna and it's better than I thought it was. Looks like it might fall between the ANT751 and the Winegard HD7694P. I haven't seen an antenna before that had optional low VHF elements. I'll have to keep this one in mind for future recommendations. The manual has some good information in it, not just the usual marketing hype I typically see.

I don't know why moving the antenna a bit would affect VHF so severely. Maybe it's marginal at any location. If you continue to have problems you might have to consider something much larger like the Winegard HD7698P.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hi all, can anyone recommend an installer for the rocklin/roseville area that also sells/has antenna/mounting on hand that would get "all" or all the major channels.
Not sure if he travels to that area, but Bob at Alhambra TV did some antenna work for me last year. He was recommended by others on this board and I was very pleased with his work. Here's his website: https://www.alhambratv.com

·
Registered
186 Posts
What about KVIE? If KVIE is okay then noise probably isn't the problem. It could be multipath but it's hard to imagine you're even having a problem at your distance and the extremely strong KXTV signal. The only thing I can suggest is to move the antenna.

You can't verify multipath for sure without an expensive ATSC analyzer. Got an extra $20K laying around? ;)

You can infer multipath if the signal is strong but the SNR is low. Sometimes multipath is caused by moving vegetation. You can tell if this is the case with careful observation. Monitor the SNR over a few minutes. It should be stable. If it jumps around a lot then moving vegetation is a problem. Even on a station with no dropouts you can tell if moving vegetation is a problem. The SNR will bounce around but will not drop below 15 dB.

Chuck
Right now, I’m having pixelization on and off several times per minute on every channel I checked regardless of signal strength. I rechecked the signal strength and there has been no reduction in signal strength.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Right now, I’m having pixelization on and off several times per minute on every channel I checked regardless of signal strength. I rechecked the signal strength and there has been no reduction in signal strength.

Those signal strength meters don't always tell the whole story. Breakup like you show is more likely to due to Carrier to Noise or Signal to noise. Do you have trees in your path?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Those signal strength meters don't always tell the whole story. Breakup like you show is more likely to due to Carrier to Noise or Signal to noise. Do you have trees in your path?
There are not trees next to the antenna, but there are two trees in the general area the antenna is pointing (roughly south west). If trees are the issue, they may be able to be trimmed or I would need to see if there is a way to reposition to antenna where the trees cannot be an issue.
Is there any way to measure carrier to noise and signal to noise? Is there an antenna installer in this region that can measure it and determine the issue?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have had plenty of experience with poor outdoor coax cable connections. The symptoms you have described match the symptoms I have experienced with poor connections. The symptoms are frequent short bursts of pixelation with a normal signal meter reading showing for multiple channels, often occuring early in the morning when the temperature is cool and the metal center conductor diameter has contracted, and pixelation bursts decreasing in frequency or disappearing later in the day when the temperature has risen expanding the center conductor diameter. Either the center conductor in the male connector has eroded or lost its copper coating or the hole in the female connector has worn, eroded, or expanded causing a loose fit sensitive to outdoor air temperature changes affecting conductor diameter.

You can readily check for a poor connection by slightly loosening the connector nut and jiggling the coax cable near the connector while you or someone else monitors your TV to see if the jiggling causes pixelation to occur or even stops the pixelation. Simply adjusting the tightness or loosening the connector nut may eliminate the problem, at least temporarily. Enlarged female connector holes in the grounding block may also be suspect requiring replacement of the grounding block in addition to connectors or the entire coax cable.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
FYI: KMUM-CD has vacated RF 31, and is now on their post-repack channel (RF 19).
Thanks for the update! This should now allow KFMS to move from 47 to 31. I'd appreciate hearing when that happens and also when KMMW moves from 28 to 14. Those are the only Sacramento-Stockton area stations that I show that haven't moved.

I appreciate your input so that I can keep my station lists up to date.

Larry

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thanks for the update! This should now allow KFMS to move from 47 to 31. I'd appreciate hearing when that happens and also when KMMW moves from 28 to 14. Those are the only Sacramento-Stockton area stations that I show that haven't moved.
I will certainly post as soon as I get the word. I can't pick up either of those from my location, so I must rely on my inside sources. KMMW has been dark since the repack, but I'm hearing that they may be up and running again (on 14) fairly soon. The same crew that did the work for KMUM is apparently heading in that direction.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I downloaded the manual for your antenna and it's better than I thought it was. Looks like it might fall between the ANT751 and the Winegard HD7694P. I haven't seen an antenna before that had optional low VHF elements. I'll have to keep this one in mind for future recommendations. The manual has some good information in it, not just the usual marketing hype I typically see.

I don't know why moving the antenna a bit would affect VHF so severely. Maybe it's marginal at any location. If you continue to have problems you might have to consider something much larger like the Winegard HD7698P.

Chuck
Ok...I had some time today and re-installed my antenna in the new, permanent location again. At first it was the same result, so I went back with the RCA preamp (TVPRAMP1Z) that I was using at the old location instead of the Kitztech and low and behold I started seeing some VHF...only KVIE though, no KXTV.

With this info I went ahead and installed a slightly taller mast...roughly 4-5-feet taller and there it was, all the channels including KXTV without any dropout (so far).

Still hard to believe how hit or miss the signal is on my roof...and the RCA preamp ended up working better than the Kitztech in my situation.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Ok...I had some time today and re-installed my antenna in the new, permanent location again. At first it was the same result, so I went back with the RCA preamp (TVPRAMP1Z) that I was using at the old location instead of the Kitztech and low and behold I started seeing some VHF...only KVIE though, no KXTV.

With this info I went ahead and installed a slightly taller mast...roughly 4-5-feet taller and there it was, all the channels including KXTV without any dropout (so far).

Still hard to believe how hit or miss the signal is on my roof...and the RCA preamp ended up working better than the Kitztech in my situation.
I hope KXTV stays okay. Antenna location outdoors is subject to the same factors that influence the location for antennas indoors, like multipath. You're in the El Dorado County hills there. That means there's lots of grass-covered rocks with true-line-of-sight to Walnut Grove. Reflected signals certainly matter.

11301 - 11320 of 11354 Posts