AVS Forum banner

11401 - 11412 of 11412 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Anybody else notice that for the last month or so KXTV 10 primetime ABC network shows like American Idol, Good Doctor, and Rookie are plagued with annoying motion balkiness (stop or blurred motion)?
I took a look last night and have to concur -- something weird is definitely going on. I made a recording on TiVo and it didn't even like scanning through it -- it was very slow compared to usual. I then recorded a bit of the transport stream and opened in a viewer (Telestream's "Switch") -- in the problem spots, frames were repeating many times, and this particular player regularly displayed video breakup when stepping through (see attached).

Don't know if this is related, but last night when I looked at their stream, they were giving more bits to "Bounce" on 10.3 than they were to 10.1. Now, on Wednesday afternoon, I see that "Bounce" has been bumped down to SD at around 2.5 Mbps, while 10.1 has increased to 10.5 Mbps. Clearly they've changed encoder settings, but it remains to be seen if it will have an effect on the motion problem. I'll check the stream again tonight to see if it remains as it is now.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'll check the stream again tonight to see if it remains as it is now.
I've only watched for about five minutes, but haven't seen a recurrence of the motion problem. TiVo is able to fast-forward and rewind without sluggishness. Bit rates on all streams remains unchanged from this afternoon. Possibly fixed?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've only watched for about five minutes, but haven't seen a recurrence of the motion problem. TiVo is able to fast-forward and rewind without sluggishness. Bit rates on all streams remains unchanged from this afternoon. Possibly fixed?
I'll let you know tomorrow if I get through Grey's Anatomy on KXTV without a glitch. Since I sent an email to the KXTV technical department yesterday concerning the problem, maybe they actually read and acted on my email.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'll let you know tomorrow if I get through Grey's Anatomy on KXTV without a glitch. Since I sent an email to the KXTV technical department yesterday concerning the problem, maybe they actually read and acted on my email.
Seems like you may have done some good. I’ll be interested to hear if it looks okay to you now. I didn’t watch for all that long, but it seemed fine tonight. On Tuesday night, the problem was evident in less than 15 seconds.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
KQCA's RF 23 signal will convert to ATSC 3.0 on 6/1, its ATSC 1.0 simulcasts will be hosted by KCRA's RF 35 signal.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
KQCA's RF 23 signal will convert to ATSC 3.0 on 6/1, its ATSC 1.0 simulcasts will be hosted by KCRA's RF 35 signal.
That’s good info — thanks. Any word on what (if any) other stations will be carried in the 3.0 mux, and if the current 58.2 and 58.3 streams will be shoehorned into RF 35? I can’t imagine they’d want to give anything up.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So far only Hearst's stations made filings. KQCA's simulcast exhibit didn't indicate any other ATSC 1.0 host besides co-owned KCRA.

It's possible Nexstar's KTXL, Tegna's KXTV and Univision's KUVS/KTFK will join together and run their own seperate lighthouse operation like they have in other markets.

CBS flat out refused to participate when they were approached by stations in some other markets like Baltimore and Denver, so I wouldn't expect KOVR or KMAX to join any of the lighthouses.

11401 - 11412 of 11412 Posts