AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard if KVIE, Sacramento's PBS station is ready for their promised HD May 1 Launch? :confused:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Likewise, what about the purported May 1st launch of KQCA (the WB)?

Imagine two new HD stations online on the same day....;)

Will it happen?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why should this thread be locked? The link you gave was about Comcast providing HD service in Sac. The article in the Sac Bee doesn't say anything specific about the May 1st date that is reported on antennaweb.org about the HD launch of KQCA and KVIE....

Also you should keep in mind that not everyone who receives feeds from Sac are IN Sac or its immediate vicinity. There are many users who live in the Bay Area, such as myself, that cannot access the feed coming from Mt. Sutro in SF and must instead rely on the OTA feeds from Sac.

So to sum up, I could care less about Comcast HD service in Sac. All I wanna know is will there be HD broadcasts of PBS and WB from Sac beginning on May 1st. Yes or no will do just fine along with evidence to support your answer.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sorry wrong link.

I thought the guy's posting on the link above would also like to know what's the deal with PBS. Some of them may subscribe to the thread above and wouldn't mind also knowing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
According to David Hosley, GM for KVIE, they have their equipment, tested the antenna a few weeks ago, and should have tested their equipment last week. In an email two weeks ago, he stated that they will meet their May 1 date.

I have not sent a new message to him since then. Chris did edit his post to reflect my thread from two weeks ago with the same information.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Anyone know what digital channel they will be on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
KQCA-DT (WB) is on the air with a low power transmitter and a very directional antenna aimed at Stockton (their city of license). They have received their high power transmitter and it will be installed by the end of May. However they have a lot of tower work to do before their new antenna can be installed. The work will take at lease three months. This would put them on the air around the end of July beginning of August.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why is KQCA city of license Stockton and not Sacramento. Wouldn't it be better to aim the antenna at Sacramento to serve more people.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Long, long ago, the FCC assigned the TV channels that are available in any given community. In this area, Channels 3, 6, 10, 29, 31, and 40 are licensed to serve Sacramento -- Channels 13 and 58 are actually licensed to serve Stockton.

Over time, the two markets meshed together, but that doesn't change the fact that the stations are actually licensed to serve different areas -- hence, KQCA is currently meeting their obligation by beaming a low power to their city of license.

An interesting aside -- not that many years ago, the FCC required a station to maintain their studios in their city of license, and hence KOVR's master control was located in Stockton (and they had a separate studio in Sacramento just for news and other productions). Fortunately for KQCA (then KSCH), this rule was eliminated by the time they began construction, or they would have had to locate their studios in Stockton as well ...

--Bill R.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
According to the FCC's original list, KVIE-DT will be on channel 53.

Larry

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just got off the phone with Paul at KVIE. Per an e-mail from their VP, they're going to start broadcasting HDTV between 5/13 and 5/15. Antennas are being worked on today in fact he said.

Bill

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
From David Hosley, GM at KVIE today, 5/1/03 -

"We expect to complete the rigging of the new antenna this week, with tests by mid-May. Delays in getting the transmission lines were caused by bad

weather and difficulty in scheduling riggers."

I for one am anxiously awaiting a reliable PBS DT/HD feed!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nightowl
From David Hosley, GM at KVIE today, 5/1/03 -

"We expect to complete the rigging of the new antenna this week, with tests by mid-May. Delays in getting the transmission lines were caused by bad

weather and difficulty in scheduling riggers."

I for one am anxiously awaiting a reliable PBS DT/HD feed!
I second that!, very bummed that its been delayed a bit.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, you have to admit, weather being bad is an understatement....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I can't disagree with that...however...KVIE has been saying for years that they are anxious to begin digital broadcasting. Why has it taken them this long, right up against the FCC deadline, to get something, anything broadcast?

Don't get me wrong, I am very anxious to get PBS...I hear it is one of the best quality HD broadcasters there is. I will gladly start kicking down some donations as soon as I am able to recieve their broadcasts. There has been little on PBS for years that has interested me.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Weather is not the reason KVIE-DT is not on the air. Not only did KVIE miss the FCC mandated May 1 deadline this year, they missed the deadline last year. The reason they are not on the air is they have been dragging their feet. They wouldn't be near being on the air if the FCC wasn't starting to get hardnosed about the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just called the station and was told that they are still waiting on parts and that it will be "a few more weeks" before the digital signal will be sent. Figures.:mad:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DIO
I just called the station and was told that they are still waiting on parts and that it will be "a few more weeks" before the digital signal will be sent. Figures.:mad:
Gimme a break!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.