AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard that Bizzare Creations has been closed. It seems that activision was unhappy with James Bomnd Blood stone, and Blur, and thus the studio has been closed down.

Its too bad, because I personnaly liked PGR more than most other racers out there, there was something about getting Kudos that I liked. Geometry wars was fun, but too hard, but they did a great job with Geo wars 2. I was windering what happened to PGR5, and this prompted me to search about it, and this popped up. There is a chance that Turn 10 might do the next PGR game.

In retrospect, maybe walking away from MS was not the greatest idea?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would imagine the talent will be picked up by someone. Maybe MS will hire them all to create PGR5!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/19514886

I just heard that Bizzare Creations has been closed.

Everything I've read just indicates that Activision is considering the future of Bizarre Creations and looking over it's options. Haven't seen closure mentioned anywhere.

I've been worried about them for a while now. Hasn't been a piece of software from them that interested me since the summer of 2008 (Geometry Wars 2). Considering I love and own a majority of their catalog of titles (F1, F1 97', MSR, PGR 1-4, Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 1/2, Geometry Wars Galaxies, and Boom Boom Rocket), the dry spell has been alarming.

I didn't think breeding PGR and Mario Kart was a good idea and I think it's quite clear that the fps market isn't where they're at their best.

Quote:

There is a chance that Turn 10 might do the next PGR game.

Those rumors are old and don't appear to have been true. Been hearing some rumors about Sumo Digital (The developers that are well known for having ported Outrun 2 to home consoles) being tasked with developing PGR5.

Quote:

In retrospect, maybe walking away from MS was not the greatest idea?

Considering the little support Microsoft gave to PGR4 during a busy holiday season crowded with a lot of AAA game releases, I'm not sure that further dependence on them would've been any better. They did next to nothing as the publisher of PGR4 to ensure that title's success, and it was a commercial disaster as a result thanks to going up again giants like Halo 3 being released at the same time with the full support of their publishers'.

Ironically, Microsoft is reportedly interested in Bizarre Creations according to some reports at places like Game Informer. Maybe they will be going back to their roots and be tasked with developing PGR5 if Microsoft acquires them.

Would love to see Microsoft purchase them for future PGR releases (And perhaps let them attempt to revive the Rallisport Challenge series that achieved a decent amount of success on the Xbox). Hopefully the talented bunch at Bizarre Creations land on their feet and hopefully remain intact as a group.

Hopefully the Rare purchase hasn't made Microsoft gun shy when it comes to considering acquiring another major development studio.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
PGR is still my favourite racer of all time!

·
Registered
7,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames /forum/post/19518030

Considering the little support Microsoft gave to PGR4 during a busy holiday season crowded with a lot of AAA game releases, I'm not sure that further dependence on them would've been any better. They did next to nothing as the publisher of PGR4 to ensure that title's success, and it was a commercial disaster as a result thanks to going up again giants like Halo 3 being released at the same time with the full support of their publishers'.

I thought PGR4 was terrible. I bought that cheap from Gamestop and immediately exchanged it after a couple days for another title. And this is from a fan of Metropolis Street Racer and the early PGR games. PGR was getting stale.

If MS buys it for a large sum and hopes future PGR games will deliver, they'll be in a world of disappointment on the level of the Rare purchase. You can't just buy success. Very hard to recreate lightning in a bottle.

And don't say that Blur didn't get promotions. I kept seeing over and over that Blur commercial mocking the mario kart-like racing, saying that real guys race with cars. And yet with that, I think Split Second sold better (probably for the mere fact that it was a similar game and was released a few weeks earlier so that those buyers would not buy Blur after already buying SS).

This is the problem people make with marketing. Marketing only brings awareness. It puts you in the conversation. But at the end of the day, it's people that decide the success of a product. GM plowed tons of advertising money into ugliest car ever produced (Pontiac Aztek) but nobody bought it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Project Gotham Racing 4 has a 85% Metacritic average and a 89% user score. It's hardly a Pontiac Aztek

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/19520242

Marketing only brings awareness.

No kidding, that's why it was such a major problem with PGR4.

Marketing was nonexistent and a very decent game (I'll admit that it didn't capture the magic of PGR2, but it was a very well done game none the less) sold next to nothing because a game buying public wasn't made aware of it's existence and were excited for games like Modern Warfare that had the full resources of their publishers' backing them.

Microsoft on the other hand didn't advertise PGR4, and unsurprisingly, the title was largely ignored and it's release went unnoticed by many.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I do not know if I would call PGR4 a failure. It sold more than PGR3, and currently is only outsold significantly by Forza 2, and Pure, both of which were heavily bundled. PGR4 was bundled with the chat pad. Sales are at 2 million (which is more than any Burnout/NFS/Test Drive/ etc game (NFS prostreet has sold perhaps a touch more), but the 'problem' is that it sold 3:1 europe:america. If it sold 1:1 or 1:2 like most other games (FPS), then there would be massive sales.

I think that the release was indeed at the wrong time. Forza 2 had come out just months before, and was somewhat shocked that PGR4 was released months latter. I do not think that the FPS market (Halo 3, and CoD4) really made a difference in PGR's sales, I think it is just a reflection of changing interests, in that racing games are not as popular as they once were (at least here in N America), hense why games like Blur, SS, etc do Ok. I remember the marketing was OK (but then maybe MS did 'blo' the budget with Halo 3), the introduction of motorcycles, different weather and better graphics, but it was not in your face marketing like with other games. I would agree that games like NFS seems to get more marketing.

What is interesting is that the Need for Speed franchise just keeps on pumping out new games every year, and every year it sells the same (1-2 million) on Xbox alone, but also does well on mobile devices and PS3. There is something about NFS that people seem to like. Personnaly I think PGR 3-4 are better racing games than NFS (most wanted, prostreet, carbon, undercover, shift) but then there is some sort of campaign in NFS games, that has a story (and hot looking chicks) that maybe appeals to the Fast and Furious crowd and that is their niche. I guess Kudos was not enough for PGR.

Also, I guess 'officially' Bizzare is not shut down as initially rumored. Activision put out a statement that said that "the fundamentals of the racing genre have changed significantly. Although we made a substantial investment in creating a new IP, Blur, it did not find a commercial audience. Bizarre is a very talented team of developers, however, because of the broader economic factors impacting the market, we are exploring our options regarding the future of the studio, including a potential sale of the business". In UK they have to put the company on a 90 day notice, the 90-day period is required in the UK (where Bizarre is located) before shuttering a business. That 90-day period also serves as a 90-day notice to employees that their company is likely to be closed/sold/downsized/etc. To me I interpret this as Activision is going to close down the studio, unless someone (highly unlikely) buy them. It is possible that the talent (some of them) could be absorbed by other companies, but I think Bizzare as we know it will no longer be.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/19521513

Personnaly I think PGR 3-4 are better racing games than NFS (most wanted, prostreet, carbon, undercover, shift) but then there is some sort of campaign in NFS games, that has a story (and hot looking chicks) that maybe appeals to the Fast and Furious crowd and that is their niche. I guess Kudos was not enough for PGR.

Ahh... You just brought back memories of Josie Maran... *sigh*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts