AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to buy a Marquee 9500LC today with 1431 crt hours and 41,000 chassis hours. I have heard of the famous LVPS problem which produces high filament voltage but this is the first time I've seen the sad result The tubes were pristine,perfect in fact, and I was salivating at the prospect of the image it would produce but when fired up, only the green tube lit. I couldn't get anything out of the blue and red tubes, so I gave Tim Martin a call. Tim is THE Marquee expert , and was kind enough to give me a method of testing the VIM board and tubes . Well I swapped the VIM RCA's and the green tube still worked with the blue signal, so I knew I had a tube problem. Knowing this, I boosted the G2 and Drive on the suspect tubes, and was able to get the tubes to barely light. They were classic examples of filament voltage death. It was enough to make me cry. The tubes looked perfect, but they had been killed by the 41,000 hours on standby. I had to turn the pj down, as I couldn't afford to put new tubes in it and a rebuilt LVPS. Too bad.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But you have to know WHAT to fix, and that is not public knowledge AFAIK. I wouldn't ask a pro to reveal that either as its a source of income. If you know, you could tell me, or better yet, post it for all. If you want the pj, I'll direct you to it, and I can tell you the rest of the unit looks pretty good.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Actually Paul, the filament voltage repair is really easy. I can tell you how if you need...its also been posted in the forum a couple times.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Contribution = Good Karma

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.