AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the lucky people who purchased a RedEye pro on EBay the week that ThinkFlood went out of business. I didn't realize it at the time. I've been very happy with the features of this device but I'm now having issues with connectivity. We operate the system with two three different Android devices, an HTC EVO witch is designated to remote duty. My S3 and my girlfriends S4. Problem is, I can no longer get the S4 to connect to the system at all. My S3 only connects sporadically and the only device that seems to connect 90% of the time is the HTC. Another strange thing is that when my S3 won't connect, I can usually get it connected by powering up the HTC. As soon as it connects, my S3 connects. Then there's the times when nothing will connect at all and a walk downstairs to reboot the system becomes necessary.

I really like the way the RedEye Pro functions. I have my system in my basement consisting of an Onkyo and a Denon receiver. A pc for streaming Spotify and a Samsung BDP. I'm routing an IR signal upstairs to operate a Samsung plasma and plan to get another LCD for the workout room soon. I currently am running three different zones, A/V to the Living room with the Samy, A/V in the workout room where the equipment is and my audio to my back deck. I plan to add a 4th zone of audio to the front porch this summer. I love the way I can select a room and configure my system to route music or whatever I want with a single button on the RedEye. Programing is simple. The remote app is stored on the rack device so I never have to program a new handset. It just does what it should and how it should...just not always when it should.

So my question is, what is out there that can hold a candle to the flexibility of the RedEye Pro and still has a support network? I'd love to go with the URC MRX-10 or better yet the MRX-20, I used to sell URC remote systems and like them but since I'm no longer a dealer and they only work with dealers, I think that's out. My system is in constant flux and I need the ability to re-program things when I need to. I've also looked at the Global Cache GC-100 line but it seems to be older than my RedEye and geared heavily toward iOS users. Can't picture how the iTach line is much other than a step back in simplicity but I might be wrong there.

So to wrap this up, what do people recommend? Is there something out there that compares to the RedEye Pro and doesn't require constant payoffs to a dealer for programing changes. I plan on adding HVAC control, video security and some lighting control in the not so distant future. Would like to have a single system to control as much as possible.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleComplex  /t/1526231/sadly-moving-on-from-my-redeye-pro#post_24578290

So my question is, what is out there that can hold a candle to the flexibility of the RedEye Pro and still has a support network? I'd love to go with the URC MRX-10 or better yet the MRX-20, I used to sell URC remote systems and like them but since I'm no longer a dealer and they only work with dealers, I think that's out. My system is in constant flux and I need the ability to re-program things when I need to. I've also looked at the Global Cache GC-100 line but it seems to be older than my RedEye and geared heavily toward iOS users. Can't picture how the iTach line is much other than a step back in simplicity but I might be wrong there.

The GC-100 could only have one device connected at a time. You have three devices so you would have worse connectivity issues than you have now. The Global Cache iTach devices can have up to 8 connections.

Have you looked into iRule? They just recently revamped their Android app to bring it up to par with their iOS offering.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did briefly look at iRule but probably entered with a preconceived negativity based solely on the unfortunate name. An apple fanboy I'm not. I'll have to overlook the name for a second look I guess.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleComplex  /t/1526231/sadly-moving-on-from-my-redeye-pro#post_24599643

I did briefly look at iRule but probably entered with a preconceived negativity based solely on the unfortunate name. An apple fanboy I'm not. I'll have to overlook the name for a second look I guess.

I guess that is why you overlooked the iTach as well.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Well, I too have a RedEye Pro, never did implement it, bought it too soon in the scheme of things... I guess it is time to move it along to someone who has a better understanding of this system or needs a second unit.

I know that the forum has a classified section, and although I paid $750 (IIRC), what are these worth now?

thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts