Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like to keep my HTPC spun down as much as possible when it's idle. However the HiPix manual indicates that standby mode and hard disk spin down must be disabled. It's not clear if these requirements have changed with the AVS software updates.

What are the calmest settings supported by the latest AVS HiPix version? Note that I mostly use the HiPix for scheduled recordings, so it's important that whatever settings I use allow for waking up for safe recording.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
This has been discussed in detail. Search the forums.

If you use the HiPix app, hibernate (or standby), resume from hibernation, and then use the HiPix app again, it will freeze. i.e., you may only use the hipix app during one of the powering-ons per Windows session. If you try to use it during a second powering-on, it will freeze.

Except for the HiPix app freezing, the HiPix has no other adverse effects on your system's hibernation and standby capabilities. They will continue to work as normal so long as you don't use the HiPix.

If you want to have your computer wake and do a scheduled recording, do this: use the app to schedule your recording. Reboot. hibernate.

The PC will wake, launch the app, and make the recording at the proper time. Though I recommend you set the recording start time to at least 11 minutes before the actual program start time. On my PC there have been inexplicable delays of about 10 minutes sometimes. Note that such recording is not absolutely reliable. If a recording is important, leave the PC on and the app running before the scheduled recording.

The HiPix developers are aware of these issues, and hopefully they will be addressed at some point.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply balazer.

Quote:
Originally posted by balazer
This has been discussed in detail. Search the forums.
Been there; done that. I'm aware of the hibernate problem, have seen the discussions and I have discussed it on the forums and directly with Mkanet. There is some dissention regarding supporting hibernate.

But IMHO, any self-respecting Windows driver should support all of the execution (and non-execution) modes defined by Microsoft. Hopefully someday either the AVS HiPix team or Telemann will find the resources to fix the driver (I assume that's where the problem lies).

But my question was not what doesn't work. I'm interested in what I can do today to quiet my system. I probably should have been more clear in my original post. I’m less interested in Rube Goldburgesque heroics like hibernate, wake, record, reboot, rehibernate. Maybe all I can do now is configure my drives to spin down. Even that would help. But if you believe the manual, you can't even configure your drives for sleep.

So the refined question is what’s the most I can do today without going to extremes to calm my system and still have reliable recordings?

Thanks and best regards,

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acronce

So the refined question is what's the most I can do today without going to extremes to calm my system and still have reliable recordings?
Everything except hibernation and standby works.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acronce

What are the calmest settings supported by the latest AVS HiPix version? Note that I mostly use the HiPix for scheduled recordings, so it's important that whatever settings I use allow for waking up for safe recording.
acronce,

I leave my machine on all the time but I do have the power management options set to:

1) Turn off Monitor after 20 minutes

2) Spin down disks after 2 hours.

I also do NOT use any screen savers. They just eat up CPU cycles and add extra heat.

With this setup, I never have a problem with the Hipix starting a recording.

Hope this helps a little.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.