AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just sold my PS3 because I really don't play any games and wanted a stand alone player. I know bad timing with all the new updates that I never got to enjoy, Any way what Im concerned with is all the talk about every thing being obsolete after 10-31-07 in the BLU RAY camp. Im not really interested at all in the special features and extras like PIP, so is it safe to buy now? I just want the best PQ and audio I can get with 7.1 analog jacks. Im kina battling between the new PANNY or the new SAMMY. From what I have read it sounds like the audio goes to the PANNY and the video goes to the SAMMY. Im leaning more towards the Panasonic at the moment because of the free BR disks. Could some one tell me if they both can be updated with new firmware over the internet? And if PQ and sound quality will not be affected after 10-31-07 with the new BLU RAY releases. Thanks for any help in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO /forum/post/0


Well I just sold my PS3 because I really don't play any games and wanted a stand alone player. I know bad timing with all the new updates that I never got to enjoy, Any way what Im concerned with is all the talk about every thing being obsolete after 10-31-07 in the BLU RAY camp. Im not really interested at all in the special features and extras like PIP, so is it safe to buy now? I just want the best PQ and audio I can get with 7.1 analog jacks. Im kina battling between the new PANNY or the new SAMMY. From what I have read it sounds like the audio goes to the PANNY and the video goes to the SAMMY. Im leaning more towards the Panasonic at the moment because of the free BR disks. Could some one tell me if they both can be updated with new firmware over the internet? And if PQ and sound quality will not be affected after 10-31-07 with the new BLU RAY releases. Thanks for any help in advance.

The Panasonic player does not have an Ethernet port. The Samsung does. I don't think the Samsung has 7.1 analog outs (5.1), but it does support HDMI 1.3 while the Panasonic does not. I think the PQ edge would go to the Samsung, especially when it comes to upconversion.


I doubt PQ or AQ will be affected by the 10-31 deadline (BD-J). It sounds to me like the Panasonic may be the better deal for you since you are concerned about AQ (not tp mention the Panny has a better price plus 5 free movies).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this means that there is no way to do firmware updates? I thought they came out with an update on the older model that fixed some bugs, if so was it a disk that they sent out by mail to update, like Toshiba claims they do. Sorry for the sarcasm about Toshiba, but I have already purchased an A1 and XA2 from them and never got the update disk in the mail after sending in the request card. This is to bad because I really wanted them to win the format war, but in my opinion they have already lost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO /forum/post/0


So this means that there is no way to do firmware updates? I thought they came out with an update on the older model that fixed some bugs, if so was it a disk that they sent out by mail to update, like Toshiba claims they do. Sorry for the sarcasm about Toshiba, but I have already purchased an A1 and XA2 from them and never got the update disk in the mail after sending in the request card. This is to bad because I really wanted them to win the format war, but in my opinion they have already lost.

I think you can download the updates and burn it to a cd, or you can get them in the mail from the manufacturer. (I am a ps3 owner so this info is only based on stuff I have read here at avs)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO /forum/post/0


Well I just sold my PS3 because I really don't play any games and wanted a stand alone player. I know bad timing with all the new updates that I never got to enjoy, Any way what Im concerned with is all the talk about every thing being obsolete after 10-31-07 in the BLU RAY camp. Im not really interested at all in the special features and extras like PIP, so is it safe to buy now? I just want the best PQ and audio I can get with 7.1 analog jacks. Im kina battling between the new PANNY or the new SAMMY. From what I have read it sounds like the audio goes to the PANNY and the video goes to the SAMMY. Im leaning more towards the Panasonic at the moment because of the free BR disks. Could some one tell me if they both can be updated with new firmware over the internet? And if PQ and sound quality will not be affected after 10-31-07 with the new BLU RAY releases. Thanks for any help in advance.

With the new firmware the PS3 is now probably the best DVD upscaler and high def player on the entire market right now (HDMI 1.3, 1080P/24hz, Dolby TrueHD decoding, etc.), and you can be assured it will be constantly updated as needed if Sony's history is any indication here. Plus you get a 60GB hard drive to store music and movies and photos, and the new update also allows Wi-Fi media streaming of video and music from your computer to the PS3. I can't think of a single reason to buy a standalone now unless you really need IR considering the PS3 is cheaper and actually much better now and does so much more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoveone /forum/post/0


With the new firmware the PS3 is now probably the best DVD upscaler and high def player on the entire market right now (HDMI 1.3, 1080P/24hz, Dolby TrueHD decoding, etc.), and you can be assured it will be constantly updated as needed if Sony's history is any indication here. Plus you get a 60GB hard drive to store music and movies and photos, and the new update also allows Wi-Fi media streaming of video and music from your computer to the PS3. I can't think of a single reason to buy a standalone now unless you really need IR considering the PS3 is cheaper and actually much better now and does so much more.

Analog outputs, not a concern for me but that would be a reason to go with a standalone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush /forum/post/0


Analog outputs, not a concern for me but that would be a reason to go with a standalone.

Agreed, but if you have any receiver that accepts HDMI you'd be in business and could get up to 7.1 channel full PCM. The only reason I could see wanting analog outputs is if you have an old receiver with no HDMI audio inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Analog outs, IR, fan noise, aesthetics - there are still some reasons to prefer a standalone. I'm pretty darn happy with my PS3 right now though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell /forum/post/0


Analog outs, IR, fan noise, aesthetics - there are still some reasons to prefer a standalone. I'm pretty darn happy with my PS3 right now though.

LOL with the BluTooth Remote, you could put the PS3 in Another Room and still control it perfectly and voila, no more fan noise LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoveone /forum/post/0


Agreed, but if you have any receiver that accepts HDMI you'd be in business and could get up to 7.1 channel full PCM. The only reason I could see wanting analog outputs is if you have an old receiver with no HDMI audio inputs.

This was one of my reasons and its to late I already sold the PS3. Im wondering if I should just be patient and pass on the PANNY because Im sure some thing will be better than the PS3, SAMSUNG1200, and the PANNY with in the next couple months. Theres always something way better right around the corner with this hobby? My poor RUBY is apparently getting beaten pretty badly by the new RS1, but I still love the PQ even if it is softer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
I would wait until they straighten out the whole Java mess. Currently only PS3 seems to be feature proof especially with the new Disney BDs and even then, people have reported some misbehaviors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Probably was not a good idea to sell the PS3. Probably was not a good idea to get the new AX2, but nobody broke your arm. It is what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO /forum/post/0


So this means that there is no way to do firmware updates? I thought they came out with an update on the older model that fixed some bugs, if so was it a disk that they sent out by mail to update, like Toshiba claims they do. Sorry for the sarcasm about Toshiba, but I have already purchased an A1 and XA2 from them and never got the update disk in the mail after sending in the request card. This is to bad because I really wanted them to win the format war, but in my opinion they have already lost.

I never mailed in the Toshiba update request card (did register the player online though) and I've received two firmware update discs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,826 Posts
who needs a disc for the Toshiba's


Don't have an internet connection, perhaps you are still on dial up
I just updated my XA2 to 1.6 on Friday, will be updating my D2 that I bought yesterday as well.


Toshiba sent me media, who cares... the Tosh's have ethernet ports or maybe you missed that



The Tosh ISO's are availabe for download.... I assume if you are posting here you have intenet access, what a bunch of bunk!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/0


who needs a disc for the Toshiba's


Don't have an internet connection, perhaps you are still on dial up
I just updated my XA2 to 1.6 on Friday, will be updating my D2 that I bought yesterday as well.


Toshiba sent me media, who cares... the Tosh's have ethernet ports or maybe you missed that



The Tosh ISO's are availabe for download.... I assume if you are posting here you have intenet access, what a bunch of bunk!!!

I had no luck with the ethernet ports, just keeps saying cant find server or something. I was successful last time I used the ISO download to disk method but haven't seen any new ISO files posted yet? Sorry if I offended you, it was just very frustrating spending over 60.00 on two new HD DVDs and not being able to watch them, even after exchanging for new copies. Maybe Im the only one with problems or that feels for 600.00 a player should probably be able to play new titles with out having to down load new updates and wash off the disk with warm soap and water every time? But I do love the picture quality when it plays all the way through. Sice going format neutral I really haven't had any of these problems yet with BLU-RAY, still keeping my fingers crossed though? I will continue to put up with all the glitches though, because its real hard to sit through SD DVDs now knowing how much better they would look in HIDEF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Justin,


Regarding the HD-DVD firmware downloads. You have to set dhcp/dns settings every time you download firmware as these settings get reset after installing new firmware. Just update them in the network menus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoveone /forum/post/0


With the new firmware the PS3 is now probably the best DVD upscaler and high def player on the entire market right now.... I can't think of a single reason to buy a standalone now unless you really need IR considering the PS3 is cheaper and actually much better now and does so much more.

Agreed. In fact, I sold my Sony BDP-S1 to a buddy and bought a PS3 to replace it. I'm loving it. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but do play from time to time. Primarily, I wanted the PS3 for its technical superiority and for its regular downloadable firmware upgrades.


So far, I'm extremely impressed! I dare say my Blu-ray discs look ever-so-slightly better on my PS3 than they do on the BDP-S1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Quick question - on my 360's HD-DVD player, I can output True HD over optical using DTS or DD (and WMA Pro, which is irrelevant). Is this how the PS3 outputs its high-bitrate sound, and does the downmix sound pretty good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,920 Posts
Currently the only future proof player is the PS3. If you can wait for 4th quarter when BD-J 1.1 compliant player will show up it would be better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/0


The Panasonic player does not have an Ethernet port. The Samsung does. I don't think the Samsung has 7.1 analog outs (5.1), but it does support HDMI 1.3 while the Panasonic does not. I think the PQ edge would go to the Samsung, especially when it comes to upconversion.


I doubt PQ or AQ will be affected by the 10-31 deadline (BD-J). It sounds to me like the Panasonic may be the better deal for you since you are concerned about AQ (not tp mention the Panny has a better price plus 5 free movies).


The New Sammy 1200 DOES have 7.1 analog outs
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top