AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to move, and consequently set up a new theater room. The way the room is, I want to mount the RB-61s on the rear wall. Question is, will it damage the speaker to drill a single hole in the top of the back(say an inch above the label)? A single screw will be the easiest mounting option, if it's gonna hurt the speaker then I have to figure out some kind of shelf, which would suck.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
I drilled 2 holes into the back of a pair of ELT speakers to mount them, but I checked with the manufacturer first to avoid problems. You might want to do the same, ya don't want to drill into the crossover or something!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well sure enough I emailed Klipsch, and they said the cabinet was not designed to drilled into, and doing so voids the warranty. He suggested this mounting bracket http://www.btech-usa.com/bt77.html , and using Extreme Velcro in place of screws if I intend to angle it. I find it hard to trust velcro with a 22lb speaker. Not to mention it's a bummer shelling out for the brackets lol.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
A speaker designed for wall mounting will almost always come with a keyhole or built-in bracket. The fact that yours does not suggests that it is too heavy for a single screw, so that a shelf is required anyhow.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had to go to Home Depot anyway, so I found some of that Extreme Velcro, I do believe it will work to hold the speaker in that bracket. The old L bracket thing always works, I just dunno if I wanna put 12 holes in the wall. I definitly don't wanna drill the speakers, so it's one or the other. Decisions, decisions...

I dunno about Klipsch's logic with this, the RB51's have a convenient mounting hole so it can be mounted with a single screw, yet their rear ported and should not go flush against a wall. Then the RS-7 surrounds which are heavier than the 61s have the same type mounting hole as the 51s, and do just fine with one screw.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The BT77's are absolutely FANTASTIC mounts. I've recommended them to multiple friends who all love them after they are finished and up on the wall - all raves.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 /forum/post/14260018

Not to mention it's a bummer shelling out for the brackets lol.

It's a bummer shelling out for new speakers to replace ones where you've drilled through the drivers, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts