AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plasma has a native rate that is offered by Faroudja NR scaler line.The native rate of

the plasma is higher than 480p so the plasma's internal scaler will be utilized if not fed

it's native rate, which will be the case with a 480p signal. The DVD player or the soon to

be released line doubler from Vigatec FX2 or Omega Videon is assumed to have the

same chip for deinterlacing and has DCDi.

Compare or predict the results of sage chip deinterlacing and DCDi from new outboard

line doubler or similar dvd player into plasma vs. Faroudja NR scaler into plasma at

Plasma display's exact native rate. Discuss the quality of faroudja's scaling engine vs.

plasma display's scaling engine. Both will be scaling a deinterlaced and DCDi processed 480p

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Hey,

I can only state my own opinion.

Plasma native rate is 480p, that's true. However, with plasma - zoom modes are quite critical and they significantly change the requirement sets.

The FX2 and DVDs with internal Sage chips (Skyworth, Panasonic) should provide similar quality output. The emphasis in these products is on doubling. So, zoom/stretch modes is a problem.

The FX2 offers substantial benefits to people with more than one source to deinterlace (many of us) - like DSS, VCR, etc.

The fact that a plasma has a Sage chip in it (e.g., LG) - does not mean that Sage built the scaler. All it means is that the deinterlacer is made by Sage. So, the scaling can be native rate and it can be the average scaler found in many other products. I haven't seen the LG plasma so I can't comment on it.

Right now an external scaler is the best choice. You can verify and check that it matches native rate, and it has the highest qualtiy components for scaling and deinterlacing.

Be it Faroudja, Vigatec, or KeyDigital - they all can get native rate to most displays today (after alot of headaches and repeated bugging from us, I think they all include 853x480p output res).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.