AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't checked in here in a little while. I'm curious about how quiet the forum(s) are about the google purchase of SageTV.

I've been using SageTV for, probably, five years now. I like it and have dedicated our house to it's ongoing operation. The purchase by google makes me nervous.

What is the prevailing wisdom of AVS'ers about if SageTV is going to live on or die?

-Mike

·
Registered
597 Posts
Very good question, I am also waiting to see. I was about to jump onto SageTV, but waited too long and they shut down the store. I have been kicking myself ever since.

I used to have a HTPC and dreaded having to go back to those days of futzing with a computer every son often to make it work. I had already bought my HDHome run and was waiting to buy a new computer before I bought the Sage license. Big mistake for me.

Hopefully Google will only make the current SageTV better, not worse. Oh, and hopefully the new product will be out before Christmas this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr /forum/post/20806974

I haven't checked in here in a little while. I'm curious about how quiet the forum(s) are about the google purchase of SageTV.

I've been using SageTV for, probably, five years now. I like it and have dedicated our house to it's ongoing operation. The purchase by google makes me nervous.

What is the prevailing wisdom of AVS'ers about if SageTV is going to live on or die?

-Mike

I expect Google will pull out the bits and pieces that it wants (i.e. EPG/DVR probably being the most desired) from SageTV and ultimately SageTV will be no more.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20808373

I expect Google will pull out the bits and pieces that it wants (i.e. EPG/DVR probably being the most desired) from SageTV and ultimately SageTV will be no more.

Agreed. Perhaps pieces of it will find their way into GoogleTV. But imo, SageTV as we knew it is gone.

Why would Google look to continue the support of a system that is primarily for administration of media on the LAN when GoogleTV is all about connecting the home media activities to the wider internet?

-Suntan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.