AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Ive been a member for sometime and have had dreams of having a dedicate theater space. Unfortunetly I am a renter, not an owner so there have always been to many obstacles in my way to go forward with any plans of doing so. I am a Jack of All trades, bonefide DIY guy. In fact I make a living doing so. A year ago my family and I moved into a "new to us" rental home. As I have built a few home studios and recording studios, I immediately realized the potential of this home to finally commit to some sort of dedicated theater space. But it is a rental so there is a limit to what I can do. Without boring you to much I will list my humble gear and some wants/needs and post pics of where im at now. For the record, this rooms is 14' X 25' X 7'5". Any feedback is welcome and I thank you in advance for any/all input.

Gear:
Panasonic TC-P50U50 (Plasma lover, might upgrade to 60" Samsung plasma, but projector is not in budget and will not go LED etc.)
Pioneer Elite SC-81
Directv HR-34 (anyone know a good trick to get the HR-44?)
Sony BDP-S6200
Apple TV (used to stream movies and music from computers)
Harmony Smart Control (jury is out on this)

Speakers:

Klipsch R-26F (L+R)
Klipsch R-25C (C)
Wharfdale Pacific Evo DFS (Side Surr)
Klipsch R-14M (Rear Surr)
Wharfdale Zaldek Sub

Room:

Room is lined wall to ceiling with bookcases. Looking at pictures, the entire front wall behind curtains is treated with a combo of Roxul, ATS, and 703. Some side wall cavities are also treated with various thicknesses of Roxul, hidden behind fabric panels. Lights are a combo of Philips Lux and RGB LED tape strips.

Needs:
A remote solution that will work with Iphone/Ipad that will transmit IR. I have had the Harmony Smart Control for 2 days now and its great when it works, but the hub keeps dropping off my wifi and is a hassle to reconnect.

Wants: A stage for front of room. Needs to be removable if need be (rental house). Some sort of valance/soffit that is removable to be placed in front of my drape setup. Would like to use LED up lighting with soffit. Down lighting with stage.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Had a fun weekend building a stage for the "home theater". 2X6 construction covered with two layers of 3/4" OSB. Really love the final look. This was super budget but effective. Looking to upgrade to a 64" Plasma to make my stage look less "wimpy", ha. Looks and sounds amazing. My wife said she is sleeping down here tonight. Thanks for all the great info on this site, game changing room.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had a fun weekend building a stage for the "home theater". 2X6 construction covered with two layers of 3/4" OSB. Really love the final look. This was super budget but effective. Looking to upgrade to a 64" Plasma to make my stage look less "wimpy", ha. Looks and sounds amazing. My wife said she is sleeping down here tonight. Thanks for all the great info on this site, game changing room.

Looks good, have you thought about going with a projector ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good, have you thought about going with a projector ?
I ultimately want a projector. But I also want a larger plasma while they can still be purchased. I love plasma's, but the future is grim. I can purchase a 64" Plasma for much less than a good projector and screen. I cant envision my room only having a projector so im going to wait on a projector until I have the finances to buy a nice one. Also I know very little about projector technology and its definitely not a purchase I want to jump into until I have time to do some more research.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts