AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it is indeed true that ReplayTV no longer collects even anonymous viewer data for aggregating ReplayTV should advertise such.

It'd help if SB got that pesky court order overturned regarding collecting viewer data specifically for the lawsuit against them.

Privacy issues resonate with many people today. SonicBlue could use a "you don't even have to opt out" selling point about privacy issues in a marketing campaign.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
They say repeatedly in court docs filed in the lawsuit that they haven't collected such since May 2001.

See http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/Paramount_v_ReplayTV/

the "Pignon Declaration" is a relatively short statement from Philippe Pignon, Vice President of Engineering Operations at SB, formerly VP/Software Engineering at RPTV.
Quote:
ReplayTV and SONICBlue do not presently collect data regarding consumers' use of their ReplayTV Personal Video Recorders ("PVRs"). ReplayTV stopped collecting this data in May 2001.
The "Third Joint Stipulation" that's from is long but very interesting reading.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay
...Privacy issues resonate with many people today. SonicBlue could use a "you don't even have to opt out" selling point about privacy issues in a marketing campaign.
That's true arjay. But I'm not sure it's really something they need to crow about? It's just symptomatic of a pervasive difference in overall mindset I've noticed almost from day 1.

Of course privacy issues are very big now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If they did crow about it, then later change their mind, they would be screwed.

My guess is no one is interested in buying the data until the numbers are much larger. Once that point is reached, Replay/Tivo can probably name their price, the data would be so valuable.

Robert

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Reden
If they did crow about it, then later change their mind, they would be screwed.
Valid point!

I'm not overly concerned about anonymous data collection but it still is a creepy concept. At this point TiVo is the only DVR which collects it automatically and requires a user to opt out.

Every DBS DVR except TiVo doesn't even require a phoneline connection at all for their core non PPV or internet functionalities--no data flows upstream just from recording with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.