AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the Sony store this afternoon window shopping, when I overheard the salesman bashing Plasma tv's to a customer.

He was telling him that LCD's have better pictures than Plasma's and cost less to manufacture. He also said they use less energy and that it was only a matter of time before a lot companies stop production of them.

I thought it was funny that he say all those things to make a sale.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, that is funny! Why they have to tell someone an LCD has a better picture is beyond me! Can't their own eyes tell them which is better? Well, the answer to that one is more tricky than it seems! I first purchased an LED-LCD because it appeared to have the best picture from the content they were playing. I got it home and it had all the usual problems of an LCD TV so I took it back and got a plasma. Now THIS is what I call a great picture so they must simply make great profit margins on the LCDs.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
not surprising considering the source. sony doesn't sell plasmas anymore, so you aren't going to hear a salesman in one of their stores talking favorably about them. you wouldn't expect them to talk up the xbox while you were looking at a ps3 would you?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Yet to see any LCD touch my 5020 Kuro Plasma.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraxe /forum/post/18174334

...He was telling him that LCD's have better pictures than Plasma's and cost less to manufacture. He also said they use less energy and that it was only a matter of time before a lot companies stop production of them....

No.

Perhaps.

Yes.

Probably.

I'd still buy a Plasma.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 /forum/post/18174835

True, and i've yet to see any LCD that can touch my old 2005 Panasonic PX50U Plasma

Oh man i would have had to interject into that sales pitch. I would have said "If LCDs are so much cheaper to manufacture, then why do Sony LCD TVs cost so much more than the same sized Plasma TV? And of course, i would have corrected his statement that LCDs have a better picture then gone on to 'splain why

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraxe /forum/post/18174334

I was in the Sony store this afternoon window shopping, when I overheard the salesman bashing Plasma tv's to a customer.

He was telling him that LCD's have better pictures than Plasma's and cost less to manufacture. He also said they use less energy and that it was only a matter of time before a lot companies stop production of them.

I thought it was funny that he say all those things to make a sale.

It's simple.

Sony doesn't make plasmas.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try a very simple test: go off axis and examine the picture of an lcd vs a plasma. The lcd image will fade and colors will mute. The same is not true of a plasma. This is a primary issue for all but a single viewer centered on axis. It was a deal breaker for me with respect to my home theatre.

·
Registered
226 Posts
To add irony... Sony has two Sony branded plasmas in their Sony Store at the Galleria here in Dallas. I'm pretty sure they just slapped their name on it though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can understand why so many people choose LCD and why they've become so popular. Most people don't research much before they go to the store. They see the LCD and in a brightly lit store and make their decision based on how it looks in the store. I think the LCD's look better in the store, especially these new Samsung LED's vs a plasma. I originally found it hard to purchase my plasma. I loved the bright colorful LCD's I was seeing in the store, however I watch a ton of sports, and knowing that LCD's (especially a few years back) are lacking in this area, I could not buy one. I had to go with a plasma. And even though I liked the LCD in the store better than the plasma I purchased, once I got it home and turned it on, I knew I made the right choice. The plasma was plenty bright, the colors were much more realistic, not "artificially bright", and watching sports were just as I expected: perfect with no "ghosting or trailing".

But most buyers make their decision based on their viewing in the store and without doing any type of reseach on the different technologies available. They purchase what looks best to them, even without asking if the various sets are receiving the same type of feed (Blu-ray player vs cable feed). But that's the case with almost all consumer products.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I like the " Plasma uses more energy" excuse the sales people pitch. Someone did a comparison and yah Plasmas uses about $30 bucks more each year. Next time you over hear that tell the people to get off thier fat butts and stop ordering 1 happy meal 5 times in a year and that is their money back.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Everyone has an opinion and has a right to it. The choice depends on personal preference and also the room. If you cant block out the light in the room I'd say lcd. But in a normal viewing room thats dimly lit plasma beats lcd for pq in most people's opinion. I have one of each and wish they were both plasma.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:

You may NEVER see that happen. Hell, my 5080 KURO pretty much thumps any LCD Ive seen.

Bleh.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I love my LCD and I am an LCD man, but even I can admit that plasmas have the blacks on lock down and typically do motion better. Obviously, my first thought was, well, SONY doesn't sell plasma so what else does the salesman have to work with? Nothing. LOL! Gotta trash talk the technology if your company doesn't offer it. Even though I like my LCD and prefer it to plasma, even I'd have had to jump into that conversation if I heard it and be like; "Dude, you're an idiot". Not only for the fact that he was wrong, but the fact that SONY are stuck up asses that think their brand is superior in everything because it says SONY. Unfortunately, that's what you're paying for and most people don't realize it. You're paying for your TV to say; SONY. Don't get me wrong, they make some nice stuff, but it's not the end all be all in any category.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/18176009

You may NEVER see that happen. Hell, my 5080 KURO pretty much thumps any LCD Ive seen.

Bleh.

Hell my 860 Samsung also trumps any LCD I have seen.....

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg350 /forum/post/18175428

I can understand why so many people choose LCD and why they've become so popular. Most people don't research much before they go to the store. They see the LCD and in a brightly lit store and make their decision based on how it looks in the store. I think the LCD's look better in the store, especially these new Samsung LED's vs a plasma. I originally found it hard to purchase my plasma. I loved the bright colorful LCD's I was seeing in the store, however I watch a ton of sports, and knowing that LCD's (especially a few years back) are lacking in this area, I could not buy one. I had to go with a plasma. And even though I liked the LCD in the store better than the plasma I purchased, once I got it home and turned it on, I knew I made the right choice. The plasma was plenty bright, the colors were much more realistic, not "artificially bright", and watching sports were just as I expected: perfect with no "ghosting or trailing".

But most buyers make their decision based on their viewing in the store and without doing any type of reseach on the different technologies available. They purchase what looks best to them, even without asking if the various sets are receiving the same type of feed (Blu-ray player vs cable feed). But that's the case with almost all consumer products.

I think you hit the main reasons. My dad for example is an LCD fan; I myself am a Plasma guy for life (well, unless better proven technology evolves). He likes the bright picture of an LCD and isn't so concerned about the black levels. I like a color palette that is accurate based on the intense black that are used to create such a base.

I will stick with Plasma... now if only I could somehow convert my LCD projector to do the same! LOL.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:

I hear ya! Just got mine last week (display model) and the wife can't stop mentioning how amazing the TV looks during the Olympic broadcasts!

Got to love when get the WAF!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, if I was selling for a manufacturer that didn't make plasma, I would likely not push their virtues on my customers.

I also wouldn't brag about how cheap they are to make, when plasmas retail for less per inch of screen size.

Not being a sales person for either technology, I will say that the image presented by the two technologies differs. Some people find the extra sharp colorful image of an LCD attractive.

Others find the way plasma mimics film presentation in a commercial theater to be a strong plus.

The marketplace has moved away from plasma and every other tv technology, in favor of LCD. Hard to argue with reality, even if it means that most people are looking at overly sharp, processed images, with each image viewed being computer enhanced by the set.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/18178464

Well, if I was selling for a manufacturer that didn't make plasma, I would likely not push their virtues on my customers.

I also wouldn't brag about how cheap they are to make, when plasmas retail for less per inch of screen size.

Not being a sales person for either technology, I will say that the image presented by the two technologies differs. Some people find the extra sharp colorful image of an LCD attractive.

Others find the way plasma mimics film presentation in a commercial theater to be a strong plus.

The marketplace has moved away from plasma and every other tv technology, in favor of LCD. Hard to argue with reality, even if it means that most people are looking at overly sharp, processed images, with each image viewed being computer enhanced by the set.

I'm pretty sure plasma sales have been increasing, not decreasing and 3-D taking off is going to be a major boon for plasma sales. The general concensus is that 3-D on LCD is crap in comparison and that plasma was the best for it. People who want the cutting edge will get plasma 3-D sets. I really think this could be a huge turnaround.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts