Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I currently have a nice little stereo setup that goes as follows:

- Sonus Faber Toy tower speakers

- Rega Elicit integrated amplifier

- Rega Saturn cd player

- van den Hull interconnects and speaker cables

- WBT banana plugs

I will be bringing my Sonus Faber Toy towers to my home theater (in replacement of my Totem Acoustic Model-1 Signature speakers), so I will have to purchase new speakers for my stereo setup.

My budget is 2000-3000$.

I have been reading a lot about the Salk SongTowers (which I could potentially buy with the upgraded 700$ RAAL ribbon tweeters option). They cost 1899$ plus 700$ tweeter option, plus shipping for roughly 2800$.

My Sonus Faber Toy towers cost me 3100$ CAD (I live in Montreal, Canada).

1) Do you guys think the Salk SongTowers would be an "upgrade" in sound quality compared to my Sonus Fabers? Would the Salks play well with my current amplifier???

2) What would be the best speaker to purchase for stereo music listening in that price range and with my amplifier??

For your info:

- My room is 10 x 9 feet (dedicated room for music listening). However, no acoustic treatments are done (wood floors).

- I listen to jazz music (Rebecca Pidgeon, Sade, Jacintha, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Sade) and flamenco-style guitar music (Ottmar Liebert, Jesse Cook). However, I also listen to hip-hop and R&B (I know, it's completely different) so I need nice and tight bass, but it doesn't have to be earth shaking! Hehehe

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm really looking into finding the best possible stereo speakers for 2000-3000$...

It's going to be a debate, but hopefully we can find some names and models that come up often...

I had done a similar discussion a year ago for the purchase of a subwoofer, and among the tons of suggestions, the names SVS and HSU came back so often, that I went ahead with an SVS sub and was super pleased with the results.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have been reading a lot about the Salk SongTowers (which I could potentially buy with the upgraded 700$ RAAL ribbon tweeters option). They cost 1899$ plus 700$ tweeter option, plus shipping for roughly 2800$.

My Sonus Faber Toy towers cost me 3100$ CAD (I live in Montreal, Canada).

1) Do you guys think the Salk SongTowers would be an "upgrade" in sound quality compared to my Sonus Fabers? Would the Salks play well with my current amplifier???

2) What would be the best speaker to purchase for stereo music listening in that price range and with my amplifier??

For your info:

- My room is 10 x 9 feet (dedicated room for music listening). However, no acoustic treatments are done (wood floors).

- I listen to jazz music (Rebecca Pidgeon, Sade, Jacintha, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Sade) and flamenco-style guitar music (Ottmar Liebert, Jesse Cook). However, I also listen to hip-hop and R&B (I know, it's completely different) so I need nice and tight bass, but it doesn't have to be earth shaking! Hehehe

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm really looking into finding the best possible stereo speakers for 2000-3000$...

It's going to be a debate, but hopefully we can find some names and models that come up often...

I had done a similar discussion a year ago for the purchase of a subwoofer, and among the tons of suggestions, the names SVS and HSU came back so often, that I went ahead with an SVS sub and was super pleased with the results.
[/quote]

I know I'm resurrecting a 3 week old post, but I wanted to comment ...

I'm somewhat in the same spot you are but reversed lol..

After about a year of doing home upgrades, I'm in a position to upgrade the HT/Speaker situation. Finally! I've got the Songsurrounds and Songcenter as fronts, and am wondering if I want to purchase the SongTower RT's to complete the set or go with the SF Toys. I've heard the ST's (soft dome) before, and thought they were great, but can't say they forced me to want to upgrade immediately. I've also heard the H2-TL with the RAAL tweeter which had unbelievable bass, but, again the higher end isn't what I remember about the H2-TL audition. (The RAAL is used in the ST RT).

At the dealer, I originally went to listen to the GoldenEar Tritons, and just happened to gibe the Toys a listen as an after-thought. I loved them. Smooth, detailed, non-fatiguing ... just sounded right. Could turn them up LOUD with zero fatigue which I didn't get with both the ST and H2-TL.... Upgraditis stinks ...
The Salk's are fantastic, and think anyone would be satisfied with them. I just may find the Sonus Faber sound more to my liking.

I'm going to go audition the Toys again, and see if my initial thoughts still hold ... The dealer has now put them in a different room, so that may be a good test.

·
Registered
14,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive /forum/post/20993886

I've got the Songsurrounds and Songcenter as fronts, and am wondering if I want to purchase the SongTower RT's to complete the set or go with the SF Toys.

I have never heard Sonus Faber Toys. But I think it would best to go with the STs to match up with the SongCenter and Song Surrounds that you already own.

Bill

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/20993931

I have never heard Sonus Faber Toys. But I think it would best to go with the STs to match up with the SongCenter and Song Surrounds that you already own.

Bill

Thanks Bill ... To clarify, I'm not dissatisfied with my surrounds and center, but I don't find myself sitting down and listening to only music with them. They've turned into 95% Ht and 5% music.

·
Registered
14,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive /forum/post/20993977

Thanks Bill ... To clarify, I'm not dissatisfied with my surrounds and center, but I don't find myself sitting down and listening to only music with them. They've turned into 95% Ht and 5% music.

I understand what you are saying. But my point was if you are looking to complete your 5.1 system it would be best to have speakers that were timbre matched. If you find you much prefer the SF Toys then maybe a matching center would be the ideal choice. The other thing is the room where you have heard the SF Toys could be playing a role in liking them over the Salks. Maybe your dealer would let you audition the Toys in your home. That would really be the best way to demo them. If not you could take the Song Surrounds with you and do a direct comparison to the Toys.

Bill

·
Registered
363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/20994105

I understand what you are saying. But my point was if you are looking to complete your 5.1 system it would be best to have speakers that were timbre matched. If you find you much prefer the SF Toys then maybe a matching center would be the ideal choice. The other thing is the room where you have heard the SF Toys could be playing a role in liking them over the Salks. Maybe your dealer would let you audition the Toys in your home. That would really be the best way to demo them. If not you could take the Song Surrounds with you and do a direct comparison to the Toys.

Bill

Bill,

If I went with the Toys, I'd sell off the Salks, but I like your 2 suggestions. The dealer did move the Toys to a different room. They were in the process of setting them up, so I didn't get a chance to hear them when I was in the other day, and I'll ask about a possible demo.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee /forum/post/20887107

Orangevee, I searched somewhat extensively a couple of years back in that price range. Song Towers did very well compared to the other speakers that I auditioned. click the link in my sig (speakerquest) to take you to my search, and or check out Nuance's "journey" thread.

Cheers and good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts