AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pair of Jim Salk's Veracity Speakers. Jim is a frequent contributor to the Do It Yourself section of AVS as well as other DIY forums but also sells his speakers commercially.

I love these speakers. They do so many things really well. They are very revealing. One thing that impresses me is that the transition from the Seas midrange to the ribbon tweeter is so seamless. The ribbon is highly detailed and the Seas is clear as a bell as well. It really does get down fairly low in the bass and the bass presented is extremely musical. All in all, a GREAT speaker and more than worth the money spent.

A word about Jim's cabinetry-SPECTACULAR. I have never seen speakers that are so well crafted from a woodworking perspective. It took awhile for my speakers to arrive as Jim is a perfectionist but they were more than worth the wait. If anyone has any desire to hear them and is in the KC area, give me a PM and you can stop by.

Here is a link to a picture on Jim's web site of my speakers.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/ht1-cherrywalnut.html

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow Jim!

Your speakers have a lot going for them... frequency response accuracy, a crossover designed by an esteemed designer, high-end driver selection, and gorgeous cabinetry.

Too bad you're in Oakland, MI and not Oakland, CA... Otherwise, I might drop by to audition a pair!

Victor

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If your traveling pair makes it to the twin cities, I would show up.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
Jim,

If you get a traveling pair going, I would be very interested in listening to them.

I have some trust in Randy's ear since he owns Ascends as I do.

Thanks. I do own them and they are a great bargain and in my opinion very accurate. The Varacity's go lower, and the soundstage (which I think Ascends do very well) is even better (deeper). Also, Varacity's have very low distortion (the Ascends do as well, but I think they are bettered by the Veracitys). But the price is higher, and of course there is no comparision in the looks department. In all fairness, the Veracity's have some very high end drivers with commensurate costs. Both speakers are excellent

All this being said, people's opinions of speakers are pretty subjective.

·
Registered
967 Posts
BigguyZ -

I cam originally from Minnesota and do get back there from time to time visiting parents and friends. I've demo-ed my speakers in Minnesota at least three times in the last year. I could certainly bring a pair next time I'm in town.

There is currently a pair in Central Minnesota, but I'm not sure the guy would be up for (or up to) demo-ing them.

And there are either a pair of these, or a pair of a new design I am working on, headed to a home in Shoreview in the not-too-distant future. If you'd like, I can keep you informed.

- Jim

·
Registered
329 Posts
Curtis,

Unfinished Ascends cabinets + Jim's veneerwork.... That would be a very good looking and sounding budget speaker. I would think that it wouldn't cost more than Dave F.'s idea of using automotive paint finishes on the Ascends as an option.... And looking at samples of Jim's work, no doubt that people would no longer be able to complain about the Ascends being ugly...

Victor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.