AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose it's time to start this, on the advice of Kevin R. Anderson. Seems like a good idea. Maybe it's time to abandon the fall thread...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like ABC finally increased their transmitter strength.

For the first time in two weeks, Monday Night Football in HDTV was flawless.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
KTVX is still at low power. They blew their final again (the "final" is the big power amplifier tube that makes the massive power output of a transmitter, the last/final amplifier stage in the system), and are running with just the driver stage.

Talked to one of their engineers yesterday. This is at least the second tube that has failed, so they are considering rebuilding the final stage, to accept a different type of tube (probably something more suited to the 9500-foot altitude).

The replacement tubes run $60,000 each.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken, thanks so much for all your input here. You are an asset to the board.

Any word yet on what caused the loss of HD on KSL last night, and/or when it will be fixed? I'm hoping to watch "The West Wing" in HD tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anybody heard any rumors (or better) about WB30 starting up HD? This season is gonna kill me knowing I should be seeing a few of my favorites in HD. Last season I could handle, this one is going to be too much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is anybody else seeing big lip sync problems on 5-2? I was watching Frasier and Law and Order. They looked like a dubbed chinese movie.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Comcast installed HD cable on my In-Law's TV yesterday.

They had the resolution set for only 480p on the 5100 STB. Once I changed it to 720p (they have a Samsung DLP), & 4:3 override to OFF, it worked great. The HD channels look really good. I think that my OTA HD from my STB via DVI does look slightly better, but I won't know for sure until Comcast does my install so that I can do a direct comparison.

I also didn't have time to check out the quality of their analog & digital cable channels.

It looks like you do have to have digital cable in order to get HD. My In-Laws only had standard cable before the HD install. They were told that they will get free digital cable with the 5100 box until January, but will then need to pay for it.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I too would like to know any news on when WB 30 is going to broadcast in HD.

There is finally something in HD that my wife is excited to see (Gilmore Girls), and we were disappointed last night when it was in SD.

Also, it was great fun last night to see HD programs on 2, 4, 5 and 7 all at the same time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kind of going along with everybody asking about the WB30 which I would also very much like to see provide HD content, I noticed via antennaweb.org that KPNZ a.k.a UPN is "awaiting FCC permit". Could someone fill me in on what this means as far as transmitting HD content? I would love to finally be able to see Star Trek in HD, but how long does it take to get an FCC permit? Does that mean they have their digital hardware already in place and can begin transmitting as soon as the permit goes through? Or does that simply mean that once they get a permit, only then can they start putting their digital hardware in place so that we're looking at a much longer time frame for HD from them?

·
Registered
514 Posts
As for WB30,

The last time i emailed them about this I was told 1st Quarter calendar year 2004. That was back in February.

Michael.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a call from Comcast today to set up an appointment to have them come out and get me set up for HDTV. They are scheduled for Oct 1st in the afternoon.

According to the CSR I spoke with, you do not need to have a digital package in order to get the HDTV channels. However, I have heard different stories from three different people at Comcast so I guess I'll have to wait until next week to know for sure.

David

·
Registered
42 Posts
You do not need a digital level of service for HD , however you will not get all the channels;

With Basic only you get only the local broadcasters, such as KSL, KTVX, KSTU, KUED.

To recieve INHD and INHD2 , ESPN you need a digital package.

To Get HBOHD or SHOHD you need to have HBO or Showtime , Which may or may not be digital depending on your area (but you can always buy HBO or Showtime without having to buy a digital service tier).

The service officailly launches on the 29th, but as was announced only here, service was really being installed starting on 9/15 as a "beta". The box rental is being waived until Jan 1 2004 for everyone. After that it is $5. (note: that's only a 100 month payback if you buy the $499 dish reciever!)

No news yet on the launch dates for CinemaxHD or StarzHD although agreements are in place to carry in Salt Lake upon channel launch.

Does that help?

·
Registered
433 Posts
My Comcast HD install went well. The tech had done about a dozen HD installs & quickly got mine set up.

I supplied my own component cables so I can't say for sure what the picture quality would be like with the Comcast supplied cables.

The HD cable picture is excellent. Better than I had expected. I can't really tell a picture quality difference between my HD cable & OTA channels. The image quality on the INHD channels is stunning. I am very pleased. As soon as Comcast is able to carry the CBS HD feed I'm probably going to sell my OTA STB.

Jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, time shifting is fixed, but they lost audio on the HD subchannel (4-2 for me) about 10 minutes before the premiere of Alias. KTVK makes me want to cry sometimes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am new to this forum and was wondering if someone could give me some antenna help.

I am in Riverdale and am blocked by trees for a direct line of sight to the tower. I can receive channels (digital) 2,5,7,11,14 at 100% +-, and channel 4 at 79% signal strength but I cannot get channel 13-1, although it registers as a chennel on my receiver. I was wondering if anyone had sugestions for antenna that might help pick up channel 13.

On another matter I occasionally get signal loss where I completly lose the picture for a few seconds. This problem is worse when the wind blows. I was also wondering if I am having multi-path problems.

Mits WS-5511, Samsung SIR-TS160, Radio Shack VU-120 XR

·
Registered
131 Posts
Didn't know about the time shift fix; I was just trying to figure out what time to turn on Alias and didn't have a whole lot of time to search. It turned out not to matter, as sometime between 7 and 8 PM, I lost my ability to receive channel 4 altogether. I had a great picture at the start of 10-8, and put in a DVD for an hour. When I turned back to channel 4-2, the signal was completely gone. I ended up watching Alias in SD.

I have no idea what happened, but I'll be glad when they finally get the bugs out of HD broadcasting.

Charlie

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.