AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there was a May thread and since it is June now...

First of all I live in Layton and have strictly over-the-air service for my television viewing. (no cable and got rid of dish 2 months ago) I use a HTPC with a MY-HD100 card for reception; was a HiPix until a couple of weeks ago. Here is some of what I have found:

1. 28 (Fox), 29 (Pax), and 40 (KTVX/ABC) all have real work to do. Reception is "spotty" and picture quality leaves a lot to be desired. Plus, thanks for the dorky zoom Fox. These channels are so flaky and bad that I normally just watch them analog. Does anyone have relatively current information on the status of any of these channels?

2. I can't stop watching 7-2.

3. 34 (KUTV) really has it together. Great video & audio and fully passing on all HD content from the network which all looks stunning.

4. 38 (KSL) is also pretty good. Almost as nice as 34 though I hate having to go to sub-channel 2 to get a correct aspect ratio. Too bad there's effectively no HD content coming from NBC for them to pass on.

5. 42 (KUED), 44 (KBYU), and 48 (KUWB) are all OK but nothing to write home about. What you gain in clarity you tend to lose in horizontal "tearing." (Except 7-2) I may change my mind once I watch a native HD PBS feed.

On the worst channels the quality is as good as I ever got from cable or dish and at the best equal to what I got from dish HD Showtime & HBO. Plus now I get to record HD and watch DVDs scaled to 720p.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great to have another local to add to the group. I was thinking about a hipix card. But alas, I got a STB and have really enjoyed it. The biggest problem with HDTV today is it makes other programs look like crap. Take FOX for example. When you watch 7.02 and then switch to fox its just not watchable. Do you watch TV on your computer or on your TV more? how is it for changing channels?

Does anyone else notice that it seems to take longer for the HD channels to "tune in" then regular analog stations?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have received my Transcoder and now have my Toshiba DST-3000 connected to my Sony 1272 projector. Haven't watched much HD yet but the stuff on 7-2 looks pretty darn good.

Do most of you fellow SLC area residents use OTA or satellite? There doesn't seem to be much HD content on OTA.

What's the best way to find out what is shown in our area in HD ahead of time, I haven't got into this far enough to know where to find listings for the HD shows and movies. I know if I get a dish the program guide will handle that but as I said right now I am OTA>

Thanks

Howard Hogan

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
As far as KSL-DT is concerned:

"Jay Leno" weeknights, and "Crossing Jordan" on Mondays, are it for regular NBC shows in HD. They occasionally run other stuff.

All KSL local programming (mostly "Eyewitness News") is done in 480i Widescreen.

"Music and the Spoken Word", on Sunday Mornings, is in 1080i HDTV with DD 5.1 surround sound.

We subscribe to a movie syndication package called HD One, which supplies a movie to us once a month. It usually runs late on Friday or Saturday night. They provide us with an HD tape for simulcast.

All of the new series on NBC this fall are supposed to be in HD.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am OTA only. Satelite you have Direct TV or Dish.

they only have. HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and HDNET

From my understanding. The cost doesn't justify the purchase yet for me. when there is more HD OTA currently. The only thing that I have really wanted to see on Sat is bikini destinations on HDNET 8)

·
Registered
180 Posts
bikini destinations and hockey are two things that almost make direct worth it! No joke! Not just the fact that there are women running around..but the picture quality on the scenery stuff is some of the best out there, and you can only imagine what the stuff WITH the girls on screen looks like. ;)

but it's still ALMOST worth it...still kinda spendy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
For me the satellite is worth it. Why? Not just for HD, but for ESPN, TLC, Discovery, HIstory, DIY,Fox Sports, and a few others. I love those channels. I do watch HD as much as possible, but not exclusively as some do. So for me the HD on Direct TV is gravy. I would pay the $12 a month just to watch Soprano's on HBO in HD, a great show. I also find myself watching a lot of HDNet. The hockey was fantastic, the baseball is 3d like, but would be better if they could air more compelling games.

As to the question of digital taking longer to tune in, my observation is that CBS, NBC, and PBS (KUED) digital tune in rapidly, but ABC digital tunes in very slowly, much more so than its analog counterpart. As for KBYU, I can't comment, I have never watch the channel.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
What is ABC's status?..

I'm getting simulcast on 40-1, 40-2, and 40-3 on all the time now. Yesterday it was 40-2 only.

Also no 7-2 programming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am using a MyHD MDP-100 card for tuning and changing channels seems fairly fast, definitely faster than with HiPix. I send RGB 720p to a Sampo 34WHD5 CRT and am very pleased with the picture and most up-scaling of analog channels. I'm strictly OTA now; got rid of DishNetwork 2 months ago and miss the Discovery/History channels and SciFi (especially now that Stargate SG-1 is on) but have turned to netflix for all my movie/series watching. DVD really looks great out of my HTPC interpolated to 720p.

Is anyone else still having trouble with Fox, PAX and KUTV? Seems like good reception is quite spotty.

·
Registered
249 Posts
FOX, PAX and WB all seem to give me issues.

Other than that all is well.

Fox is the most consistant of the bunch but the picture quality is so crappy I usually switch to analog

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had problems with ABC (40-1) this weekend. The 40-2 SD channel was working fine but 40-1 was breaking up a lot on both the picture and audio. Anyone else having problems with 40-1?

I also noticed on Sunday that KUED had a third channel 7-3 (kids) but I didn't see a picture and the program info was from the KSL 5-2 channel (SD DD 2.0...) Very strange.

I don't watch FOX's up-converted stretch mode. There's nothing I'm interesed in on PAX and I still have never been able to receive the WB digital channel.

I have both OTA and DirecTV and feel that I am getting my monies worth with the satellite HD content on HBO, Showtime, and HDNet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I saw that 7-3 channel also but there was no picture. Also I didn't have a picture on 40-01 either only on 40-02.

Last time I talked to ABC they said that they were being purchased and were didnt' have the funds to support HDTV and can only pass the national feed. I was wondering if anyone has an update on there status. I would like to know when they are going to get 5.1 and PSIP I know that the sunday movie is in 5.1 usually I feel like I am missing out.

Also I have talked to UPN and they are waiting for the FCC to approve there channel mapping. Then they said they will have HD soon there after. I am really hoping they go digital I want enterprise in HD this fall.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I had the same problem with 40-1 while Toy Story and Alias were on last night. NO PICTURE! 40-2 was the state feed. Bond was just fine on Saturday on 40-1. I swear it is whoever is working on Sundays just can't get it right.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
prigstad,

You were getting OUR 5-2 Program Guide info on 7-3??

So were we! You must have a DTC-100. What software version is it?

I'm trying to take the upgrade overnight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ken,

My RCA DTC-100 is running software version A05.10 updated back on 9/11/01. I saw the program guide problem again last night.

Channel 40-1 was working again last night.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Thanks,

that looks like the current s/w version.

We noticed KTVX was airing an HDTV demo loop on 40-1 this morning.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.