AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw other communities have a thread to discuss all their local issues, thought maybe we could as well.

Here is the issue I am wondering about.

Now that Fox is on the air, has anyone seen our local Fox affiliate pass on the 16:9 480p network feed? I tuned into Fox last night, and according to HD Pictures website, Bernie Mac is supposed to be 16:9 480p, yet the program shown locally was 14:9 unconverted.

This morning a called Fox and talked with an engineer. He said that when they get a 16:9 480p feed they will pass it on. But he went on to tell me that Fox has no shows produced in this format. Which is contrary to everything else I have read about Fox programming. I asked about Star Wars Ep. 1 that will be aired tonight, he said there is no way that Fox national will be sending out a 16:9 480p signal for the movie. He also informed me that the only thing fox might send out that way would be sports.

So how can we inform their engineer's in a kind and polite way that indeed Fox does have a 16:9 480p shows, and get them to share that feed with us? Is it a matter of them flipping a switch to turn on the national feed as opposed to them streching and upconverting their standard feed and sending that out to us?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Great idea to have a SLC thread.

I have yet to see anything other than stretched 16:9 (meaning fake wide-screen) on FOX. Big disappointment as to the Star War broadcasts -- heard they looked better than the Laser Discs. We need to push them to "flip the switch."

·
Registered
249 Posts
Last time I tried to contact fox they were Jerks. I was inquiring about HDTV and when they were going to start to broadcast and I was basically told that was none of my business. Do you have a phone number and a name to ask for. I will be happy to call.

Also, I am still having problems with my PBS 7-1. I tried for about an hour last night to get UPN and PAX to tune it but no luck. I dont' know if these are transmitting different but I get

2.01 CBS

40.01 ABC

5.01 NBC HD

5.01 NBC SD

7.01 PBS SD (Pixleted and Locked up I do get sound)

7.02 PBS HD

11.01 KBYU HD??? I have never seen anything HD on this channel Although the Bug looks HD

11.02 KBYU SD

11.03 KBYU talks?

13.01 Fox HD :rolleyes:

I have seen 30.01 once but have not been able to turn it in since then.

I have never seen PAX.

Sometimes I hate this stuff because I think its my equpt and start to "mess" around. I end up on the roof second guessing my antenna hoping that I can point it so that I get everything. Yet my VHF is a perfect signal.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's what I'm getting:

2-1 CBS

40-1 ABC (why don't they map it to 4-1?)

5-1 NBC HD

5-2 NBC SD

7-1 PBS SD (looked ok last time I checked)

7-2 PBS HD (clocks crazy)

11-1 KBYU (used to broadcast PBS HD feed... but no more)

11-2 KBYU SD

11-3 KBYU ?

13-1 Fox HD (didn't have a picture last night and haven't seen anything but 4:3 upscaled junk)

Haven't seen WB, UPN, or PAX. I'll scan again tonight

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
i'm receiving the same channels as you guys but along with 30-1 and 16-1 pax. they are only 480i native, but look alot better than my directv feed. I tried to watch malcolm in the middle which is 16x9 480p but nope. they didn't flip the switch. I know there is programming we need to let the engineers know their own programming schedule for 16x9 480p shows. I do receive 13-1 at 480p native.

I'm receiving 7-1 just fine. I have a pany tu-hds20 and been with hdtv since august, when there was only Leno and Ruby Maxa smart travels and loops on pbs for content in our area. Those were the days.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a couple of quick things, someone mentionioned they are getting 40-1, but it is not mapped to 4-1. Mine is mapped to 4-1. I am using the Toshiba 3000 receiver.

I haven't checked 7-1 lately, I never watch it. If I watch it's usually through DTV locals, and 7-2 OTA.

I have not had trouble with 16-1 or 30-1, except for a couple of hours at a time, it seemed as if they were off the air.

As far as getting it touch with Fox 13, I just called the number in the phone book and asked for engineering.

Does anyone know where to get an official list of the 480p 16:9 broadcasts that Fox produces and perhaps we could email them over to our affilliate.

I would say the engineer I spoke with was courteous, but he was condescending, acting as if I didn't know what I was talking about.

Maybe Ken can show us the light on how to inform the engineers over at Fox how to pass on the Fox Digital widescreen programs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Does anyone know if FOX, UPN and PAX are transmitting at full power? I can get Fox everytime I do a channel scan yet pax and upn I have only seen once for a short period of time.

Also does anyone know there real number. I think I found pax on 26.02 but I cannot remember.

Can anyone else in Utah County get these signals?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hmm, a scan will not find wb but if I type in 48.02 it comes in as 30.01 I still cannot get pax, what antenna are you using bachelor? and what way is it pointing?

Perhaps I just need to send in my STB there is a new firmware for it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It is just a roof mount UHF antenna i bought from radio shack for 20 bucks on sale. Sad thing is, is that is in my attic. Technically i don't know which way it is pointing, but the long end is pointing NW. I just adjusted it to get ABC back in the day for optimal position, and all the other channels have since worked.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I have not seen Pax (UHF 29) on my analyzer yet. Are they on at night only?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know if Pax is on at night only. Unfortunately I am unable to watch television during the day, and have only had opportunity to watch PAX in the evenings, not that they have any programming that I regularly watch, but it is usually there. I have noticed that there are times when I tune it in but I only get static, others times actual programing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know, these knew channels are a PITA (Pain in The a) Some times I get them everytime by typing in there PSIP number other times I have to type in the real channel 49.02 other times they just are not there. Pax seems to come on just to air a show here and there. I just dont' get it.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Noticed Pax on the air (noted on a scanner, so I haven't seen a picture yet) Thursday night. Maybe they don't think it's worth the electricity to run during the daytime infomercials ?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I stopped at Sears yesterday, and saw HBO HD on all their HD sets.

No one was watching, though. They were all watching the analog feed of the Preakness, on little bitty analog TVs. They tell me DISH won't let them put up any local DTV stations in the stores.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I installed the Sat-C kit (3rd LNB) for DirecTV and then set my receiver (RCA DTC-100) for 3 LNBs and I now have ShowHD channel 543 after I subscribed to Showtime. Channel 99 also shows up in the program guide, but has no video or audio, to verify that you have the upgrade installed properly.

I just rescanned and I am not getting any signal strength from PAX (16-1), still haven't ever seen the WB digital broadcast, and I just lost the mapping of KSL 38-2 to 5-2.

I watched the Preakness in HD on DirecTV HDNET and KSL NBC OTA.

·
Registered
249 Posts
prigstad, for WB and PAX I have to type in the actual number for the channel to get them. Try that. They are 29.02 (pax) 28.02 (fox) and 48.02 (WB)

Anyone know why they are .02 instead of .01 I think that is why my tuner has problems?! They all remap to .01

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.