AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 3788 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/12127703

KSL-DT should be at full power....probably better than before.

One thing I have noticed, though, is a small bit of a "dip" in the bandpass of the channel, when looking at it here at Triad. I've been assuming it was a little bit of receive-end multipath. It seems to lock-in fine here, though.

Man, I wish we had one of those nice DTV Field Monitoring Vans
. Guess it's time to pack some stuff out to an area away from downtown "Echo-ville" and take a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatherley /forum/post/12128496

Tried rescanning, tried my other antenna, tried swearing at it and nothing is helping. All of the other HD channels in the area come in at 80 to 90% signal strength. The KSL-DT comes in at 80% then drops to 0 and continues to fluctuate like that causeing the picture to pixelate and freeze up. This all happened on the 28th which I think is the day the new transmitter started to broadcast.

Bandpass dip? I think I know the problem, courtesy of WOR-AM's HD Radio installation :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ray /forum/post/0

We switched ... to the DX-50 [AM transmitter -- mmb]. It sounded really good in analog. We turned on the IBOC carriers. It sounded wonderful in digital. Then ... glitch! The DX abruptly dropped to 25 kW, then ramped back up to 50 kW. ... It did this several times. Pat said he had seen this before.

A call to Harris showed that, on the bandpass filter VSWR monitoring[emphasis mine -- mmb], the voltage and current sample points are taken in different locations along the circuit. At some point during operation, the zero crossing points of the voltage and current due to the phase modulation of the transmitter must occur at the same moment in time. The VSWR circuit takes this as a problem in the bandpass filter, and reduces the transmitter's power for protection.

As a Band-Aid, per Harris, we have bypassed the bandpass filter VSWR circuit. Harris is working on a field modification that we will need to perform on our DX-50 in the near future.

So there you go. Looks like some aren't picking up KSL-DT because the power level's been dipping and self-correcting regularly!

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramus8 /forum/post/12048978

KUED needs to scrap 7-3 permanently and concentrate on getting a better picture on 7-2. While its better than it was a few months ago, its still nowhere near any of the other Salt Lake HD channels including KBYU when they run their HD channel or even KSL's upconversion of their local news. Fortunately most of the shows we watch on KUED turn up later on HDNet or Discovery Home Theater. If someone else would just run Art Wolfe's photography show, KUED would be off of our channel guide for good.

I didn't mind 7-3 so much in the mornings as it made it easy for my son who is almost 2 years old to watch something that interests him but there are still kids shows on 7-1 and 11-1 at least. If dropping 7-3 meant better quality for the other two channels, I'd be all for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman20 /forum/post/12130794

Scott,

Thanks for the response. Everything coming in clear? Do you get the non hd channels?

Andy, I get channels 41, 43, 45 and 51 and a couple of KUED channels analog coming in really good, KJZZ is coming in great analog on channel 18. By the Way, KBYU should be transmitting by the end of the year in Digital format. I get CBS NBC and ABC in Digital format as well as KUED and UEN.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Larry Miller said on the radio a few weeks ago that KJZZ will do Jazz games in HD starting in April. Just in time for the playoffs!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyHD /forum/post/12141103

I didn't mind 7-3 so much in the mornings as it made it easy for my son who is almost 2 years old to watch something that interests him but there are still kids shows on 7-1 and 11-1 at least. If dropping 7-3 meant better quality for the other two channels, I'd be all for it.

There's also QUBO on 16-2.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb /forum/post/12139952

.....So there you go. Looks like some aren't picking up KSL-DT because the power level's been dipping and self-correcting regularly!...

The power is steady. The guys have been monitoring that. But, we are curious to see if the dip is just local multipath, or inherent to the transmission.

Some viewers have had success by re-orienting their antennas. So, we suspect that the increased power is bringing up the multipath echo "out of the noise" at their locations. If there is a dip in the transmission itself, that might be complicating the receivers' efforts to "undo" the existing multipath.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/12152442

The power is steady. The guys have been monitoring that. But, we are curious to see if the dip is just local multipath, or inherent to the transmission.

Some viewers have had success by re-orienting their antennas. So, we suspect that the increased power is bringing up the multipath echo "out of the noise" at their locations. If there is a dip in the transmission itself, that might be complicating the receivers' efforts to "undo" the existing multipath.

Sooooooo.....what does all this mean? Does this mean I need to brave the attic and adjust my antenna? or does KSL have a problem on their end that is being worked on? What I do know is I can't watch KSL-DT and all this started the 28th of October the day I believe the new transmitter was put in service. I have a hard time believing that jiggling my antenna will fix the problem since all of the other channels come in at 80 to 90% signal strength. I have also tried a different antenna that is also located in my attic with the same results.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:

I think it's the latter. It would be one thing if these dips came randomly, but these dips seem to come at regularly timed intervals. So the idea is that this is the result of multipath / a more powerful signal strength, even though it occurs with only one UHF frequency? That's highly doubtful, especially since Jatherley says that his KSL signal, while it's good, is 80, and the best is around 90. (BTW, Jatherly, what signals are strongest / around 90?)

So I strongly believe that there's something going on with the new transmitter. It won't hurt to call up Thomson and see if you can get a tech support crew over there.

Quote:

It would be nice if everybody has ideal antennas, but that's not the case. Who knows what'll happen with the analog shutoff and all the people with indoor/tooney antennas that haven't even tried to tune in an OTA DT station? Can somebody say "potential fiasco"?

·
Registered
19 Posts
All my channels are around 60% and they still come in clear for me, except when it snows or rains, lol. If he gets 80% on KSL that should be more than enough to keep a steady signal.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
A caveat to the people diagnosing the issue based on the signal strengths: If your tuner is only reporting one number your not getting the whole story. You need to know both the signal strength (signal to noise) and the signal quality (forward error correction).

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV /forum/post/12157478

A caveat to the people diagnosing the issue based on the signal strengths: If your tuner is only reporting one number your not getting the whole story. You need to know both the signal strength (signal to noise) and the signal quality (forward error correction).

My Hitachi television has both and KSL is looks good on both here with signal to noise at 80 and signal strength at 98 and steady. My D* box only shows error correction, but it also has no issue with the KSL signal and is showing 100 percent and very stable.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
We are doing the Christmas Gift Show at the Southtowne Expo Center this weekend.

We're set up in the worst possible location, all the way on the east side of the convention center floor, 200' from the Trax line. Steel roofing slopes from west, up to 3 stories at the east side.

I noticed that we get about a "90" signal strength, but still get hits on the two Sony HD sets when they move a forklift, or the stage lights switch on. I had a 28-29 dB SNR, which I have to go deep in the menu to find.

We'll keep an eye on the signal here. I spent my whole "weekend" working on the exhibit, so I haven't gotten a chance to do a "field test", beyond the one at the expo.

The current DTV full-power channels at SLC are 28, 29, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, and 48. KSTU will move back to VHF High-Band 13 in 2009. KUCL (26) and KULX (51) will eventually go -LD on 8 and 10, respectively. All the other LPTV will go -LD in the UHF Band.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/12178564

We are doing the Christmas Gift Show at the Southtowne Expo Center this weekend.

The current DTV full-power channels at SLC are 28, 29, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, and 48. KSTU will move back to VHF High-Band 13 in 2009. KUCL (26) and KULX (51) will eventually go -LD on 8 and 10, respectively. All the other LPTV will go -LD in the UHF Band.

Thank you for that list!

I had to move the headend in my Woods Cross property a couple of weeks ago. As the garage it was in had no air conditioning and the builder refused to correct that situation, I wasn't about to fire up my new Drake equipment in a 95 degree room. So, moving it was a blessing on that front.

Fired up the rack and had the Drake DDCs set according to a list I had found online. (Some of them are the same as you listed.)

One of the homeowners told me that only KSL and KUPX were on. When I went to see her, ch 16 was not there. As I played around with various channels, I found that sometimes if I changed the input channel down 1, that channel would come up on the system. Eventually discovered that having them on adjacent channels didn't work (I am sending them out into the system 8VSB)(I recall a Drake engineer mentioning something about the DTV channels actually occupying 6.25MHz).

Anyway, I got some of the channels up (2, 4, 5, 7, 13, & 16 (was supposed to be 30)), then got tired of going back and forth between her home and the headend. (Oh, the joy of doing stuff with no test equipment (in this case, an ATSC receiver. I think I'll go pick one up today.
). I still don't know how many of the channels are (or at least were last night) on the right channel.

Now that I have an accurate list and will be armed with a receiver, I can go back and get those channels on as they should be.

I'm going to try and take my wife to that Gift Show.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone else experience no sound of KJZZ DT? I have two tv's both with digital tuners, one has audio on KJZZ and the other doesn't. The weird thing is only KJZZ is affected...all of the other stations have great audio. I have tried to do everything to my tuner, but so far I am relegated to watching the Jazz on analog. I don't know if they switched to a different type of compressed audio or something like that and my tuner isn't compatable. I can't understand why it is just one station that is affected. Any advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Check with Mel Parkes at KJZZ.

Does your tuner have the capacity to tune in different "language" channels? Some do not, and they look for the highest or lowest (I can't remember which) "Program Number" on the audios, and only tune that one.

Maybe KJZZ has two audio channels enabled in their PSIP, and your set is trying to get the "silent" one.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhater /forum/post/12199866

Anyone else experience no sound of KJZZ DT? I have two tv's both with digital tuners, one has audio on KJZZ and the other doesn't. The weird thing is only KJZZ is affected...all of the other stations have great audio. I have tried to do everything to my tuner, but so far I am relegated to watching the Jazz on analog. I don't know if they switched to a different type of compressed audio or something like that and my tuner isn't compatable. I can't understand why it is just one station that is affected. Any advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I can't even get a picture on KJZZ DT. It died a few days ago. I am also still having problems with KSL DT. I now have a set of rabbit ears that I use when I want to watch KSL DT. I have to fine tune them so the picture is not pixilated. They are hyper sensitive to any adjustments and I have to try and minimize my signal strength to get a descent picture. Every other DT channel still comes in perfectly clear on my regular OTA in my attic. I have been told to adjust my OTA to fix the problem but if I do that I mess up every other channel especially the analog signal which I still use on my other TV. I am not going to sacrifice the other channels for KSL I just won't watch KSL any more. Maybe it is time to call Direct TV and give up on OTA usage. I could recieve perfect pictures on every channel until KSL upgraded their transmitter. I don't know what they did to make it better but it sure hasn't been an upgrade for me

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Anyone know when any of the local stations will have HD broadcasts?

I thought channel 2 had upgraded to HD cameras the first of the year - what's up with that?

I heard a KSL radio spot that claims they are HD but they are not right? It's either the worst HD I've seen or they are just widescreen and upconverting to 1080i.

Anyone have any inside info?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mel says that KJZZ hasn't made any PSIP changes.

Anyone who is still having issues with KSL-DT (or any other -DTs), give us some info:

1. Aproximately where are you located?

2. What antenna are you using?

3. Indoor or Outdoor, and height?

4. Is there any amplifier...preamp, distribution amp, or "amplified antenna"?

(We have some ideas, so we need some info)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't seen a picture or had audio on KJZZ on either my TV or STB for about 2 weeks. Good signal strength on both my D* HR20-700 and my Hichachi. I have attached the files showing the signal strengths on both the TV and STB. I do have a 28 DB distribution amp on the line just behind a Winegard SS1000 as I'm way over in Wendover. No problems with any of the other stations.

2441 - 2460 of 3788 Posts