AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 3780 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/12206662

Mel says that KJZZ hasn't made any PSIP changes.

Anyone who is still having issues with KSL-DT (or any other -DTs), give us some info:

1. Aproximately where are you located?

2. What antenna are you using?

3. Indoor or Outdoor, and height?

4. Is there any amplifier...preamp, distribution amp, or "amplified antenna"?

(We have some ideas, so we need some info)

Channels 5 and 14

1. West Jordan, UT (7800 S 5600 W)

2. 84" attic OTA - not sure of make or model - bought it 1 year ago from an electronic supplier

3. Attic

4. no amp

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer /forum/post/12210804

Thanks - not sure how I missed that!

I guess KSL is a little ahead on their advertising.... By a year?

I thought KSL was the family values broadcaster?

Didn't KUTV upgrade their cameras the first of this year?

According to the judge, who ruled in favor of DirecTV's "HD Lite" service, we've been "HD" since we first went on the air with a 1080i signal. That's all we are supposed to say

I'm not sure if KUTV upgraded cameras or not. It was a CBS corporate thing, and may have not happened before the station's sale. Is Jerry here?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/12213012

According to the judge, who ruled in favor of DirecTV's "HD Lite" service, we've been "HD" since we first went on the air with a 1080i signal. That's all we are supposed to say

I'm not sure if KUTV upgraded cameras or not. It was a CBS corporate thing, and may have not happened before the station's sale. Is Jerry here?

Thanks Ken -

Pretty disappointing..... using that standard a very worn Blockbuster rental VHS from 1984 upscaled to 1080i is HD!

I think this falls into the category of 'The dumbing down of America'.

Can't you talk to some sense into management?

What happened to the moral high ground?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer /forum/post/12210804

Didn't KUTV upgrade their cameras the first of this year?

Even if they did, there's a whole lot of other upgrades needed for HD news, like switchers, keyers, wires, et al. It's a multimillion-dollar operation. A lot of CBS-owned&operated stations are going HD news when they move into a brand new news building, like what KYW in Philly and KCBS in LA did, and what WBBM in Chicago will do.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb /forum/post/12216265

Even if they did, there's a whole lot of other upgrades needed for HD news, like switchers, keyers, wires, et al. It's a multimillion-dollar operation. A lot of CBS-owned&operated stations are going HD news when they move into a brand new news building, like what KYW in Philly and KCBS in LA did, and what WBBM in Chicago will do.

I realize that but why spend the money on the cameras just to have them outdated before they ever get used for their intended purpose?

I really like the tall skinny people when they take a 16:9 video clip they obviously got from some outside source and then they squeeze it into a 4:3 frame. Looks great!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just read on the sister site that the Salt Lake locals are moving to the D-10 satellite on D*. Should be good news for ST George. The signal is already there on 103(a) transponder 19. When its switched, you'll need the B Band converters hooked up to the back of the box or you won't receive a signal.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramus8 /forum/post/12208776

I haven't seen a picture or had audio on KJZZ on either my TV or STB for about 2 weeks. Good signal strength on both my D* HR20-700 and my Hichachi. I have attached the files showing the signal strengths on both the TV and STB. I do have a 28 DB distribution amp on the line just behind a Winegard SS1000 as I'm way over in Wendover. No problems with any of the other stations.

I am looking at KJZZ HD with a PID analyzer and they have no EIT/ETT which is generated by the PSIP. I would suggest you try tuning your tuner to 46-3, and if this does not work try 46-1. If either of these work then they are having problem with there PSIP generator.

Jerry

·
Registered
30 Posts
What will the KSL marketing people do when they really start doing their news in HD? "KSL News HD and this time were not kidding".

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubersgl /forum/post/12220887

I am looking at KJZZ HD with a PID analyzer and they have no EIT/ETT which is generated by the PSIP. I would suggest you try tuning your tuner to 46-3, and if this does not work try 46-1. If either of these work then they are having problem with there PSIP generator.

Jerry

Whatever was going on with KJZZ has been fixed. I checked it a few minutes ago and picture and audio are back on 14-1...thanks!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramus8 /forum/post/12221659

Whatever was going on with KJZZ has been fixed. I checked it a few minutes ago and picture and audio are back on 14-1...thanks!!!

I've got it back as well. However, KSL DT is still crappy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally Posted by kenglish

"According to the judge, who ruled in favor of DirecTV's "HD Lite" service, we've been "HD" since we first went on the air with a 1080i signal. That's all we are supposed to say ."

KSL may have been 1080i when they first went on air but the were not the First to air HD on Farnsworth Peak, KTVX beat KSL by about 1 hour in being First.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snielson /forum/post/12220977

What will the KSL marketing people do when they really start doing their news in HD? "KSL News HD and this time were not kidding".

It will be the new Super HD! 1080i at 7mbs! Sounds great doesn't it?

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramus8 /forum/post/12220000

Just read on the sister site that the Salt Lake locals are moving to the D-10 satellite on D*. Should be good news for ST George. The signal is already there on 103(a) transponder 19. When its switched, you'll need the B Band converters hooked up to the back of the box or you won't receive a signal.

Good news. Any word on when they will switch over?

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton /forum/post/12223557

Good news. Any word on when they will switch over?

Below is yesterday's announcement. Depending how you read it, they could already be there as the signal is and it is much stronger than what we are getting from the Spaceway satellite. Its probably a case of when they get around to authorizing the boxes for it. If you don't see a change in a week or so, I'd be calling D*.

As the next phase of our on-going HD expansion effort, 10 new HD channels have launched today, including five national HD channels and five Pay Per View channels, plus 13 game-only HD regional sports networks (RSNs). See below for the list of channels launching today. With this phase now complete, our total HD national channel count is now at 84 channels. Also occurring today, five HD RSNs will be removed from spot-beam broadcasts and now only broadcast in CONUS signals on the D10 satellite. Customers with access to these select RSNs will need B-Band Converters to continue to view these RSNs on their HD-ready MPEG-4 receivers (models H20 / H21 and HR20 / HR21). Finally, the Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Tampa markets are migrating to the D10 satellite, and customers in these markets will now need working BBCs and wideband multi-switches to view their HD local channel programming.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The very FIRST HDTV broadcasts in Utah were from the "DTV Express" parked at KUED's studios. That was about a year before the locals went on-line, and was a cooperative effort of KSL, KUED, Harris, and PBS.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Comcast Users:

I noticed this on my latest bill:

On 12/11/07, we will launch the following channels: CW HD-656, USA HD-676, HistoryHD-677, Animal Planet HD-678, TLC HD-679, and Discovery HD-680.

I guess we finally will be getting Smallville and possibly SNL in HD??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Unless Ken E. drives the NBC HD IRD over to the CW studios, before the HD feed starts, there will be no SNL HD.

NBC Network has no extra HD receivers to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenbrad /forum/post/12247932

Comcast Users:

I noticed this on my latest bill:

On 12/11/07, we will launch the following channels: CW HD-656, USA HD-676, HistoryHD-677, Animal Planet HD-678, TLC HD-679, and Discovery HD-680.

I guess we finally will be getting Smallville and possibly SNL in HD??

2461 - 2480 of 3780 Posts