AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 3788 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
But you were not the first from Farnsworth Pk as was implied in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/12238426

The very FIRST HDTV broadcasts in Utah were from the "DTV Express" parked at KUED's studios. That was about a year before the locals went on-line, and was a cooperative effort of KSL, KUED, Harris, and PBS.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I said, "According to the judge, who ruled in favor of DirecTV's "HD Lite" service, we've been "HD" since we first went on the air with a 1080i signal. That's all we are supposed to say ."

I didn't say "...were the first to go on the air".

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
So, is DirecTV saying the SLC HD locals will, now, be on a national beam, not a spot beam? If so, we have a signal to the St. George area.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenbrad /forum/post/12247932

Comcast Users:

I noticed this on my latest bill:

On 12/11/07, we will launch the following channels: CW HD-656, USA HD-676, HistoryHD-677, Animal Planet HD-678, TLC HD-679, and Discovery HD-680.

I guess we finally will be getting Smallville and possibly SNL in HD??

Thanks for the information. That is good news, although I was really hoping for Sci-Fi HD.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/12250211

So, is DirecTV saying the SLC HD locals will, now, be on a national beam, not a spot beam? If so, we have a signal to the St. George area.

Even though they moved the signal on D-10, it is still a spot beam, but with a much bigger footprint that should cover the whole DMA. The signal at 100 miles out is still 100 where the old Spaceway beam starts to drop off at that distance. People in St George should now be seeing a signal on 103(a) transponder 19. As long as you get that transponder, once D* authorizes your STB, you got 'em. An installer indicated to me a couple of days ago that this should resolve the issues in Elko also once D* starts authorizing the STBs. We can now see the new Phoenix spot beam way up here at a signal of 89 which would be very usable so these beams are covering a lot more ground.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just out of curosity has anyone complained to kued about their hd channel? the ghosting is horrible and it seems like something that bandwith has nothing to do with. And by the way it is nice to see kjzz(just starting) and cw starting to brodcasting scheduling information

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:

Comcast Users:

On 12/11/07, we will launch the following channels: CW HD-656, USA HD-676, HistoryHD-677, Animal Planet HD-678, TLC HD-679, and Discovery HD-680.

That is fantastic news
!!! And don't forget about Supernatural after Smallville.

thanks for the heads up.

Midnight

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:

Comcast Users:

Wahoo!!! The news I've been waiting for.

Not to cast a damper on anything, but is this only for certain cities in Utah? I've heard that it might not roll out to everyone in the state. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that's what I've heard. Anyone know differently?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Ken,

I need your or any other Cache Valley person's advice. I pointed my antenna at Mt. Pisgah. My antenna is a large ChannelMaster CM3020 or just looks similar (I didn't buy it, it was already in my attic). I also have a powered signal booster on it.

I'm not getting many digital stations. I can pick up Fox 13.1 and 13.2 (HD) perfect...very strong signals! KJZZ 14.1 is pretty good, but occasionally spotty. 30.1 (CW?) is in and out...not very watchable. But nothing else...no 2.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, 9.x, or 11.x.

So if I can get 13.x and 14.1 pretty good, aren't the others on the same tower? Any reason(s) you can think of why I can't pick up the other stations? I can see them in analog at numerous different stations in the UHF band.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrang /forum/post/12345577

Hi Ken,

I need your or any other Cache Valley person's advice. I pointed my antenna at Mt. Pisgah. My antenna is a large ChannelMaster CM3020 or just looks similar (I didn't buy it, it was already in my attic). I also have a powered signal booster on it.

I'm not getting many digital stations. I can pick up Fox 13.1 and 13.2 (HD) perfect...very strong signals! KJZZ 14.1 is pretty good, but occasionally spotty. 30.1 (CW?) is in and out...not very watchable. But nothing else...no 2.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, 9.x, or 11.x.

So if I can get 13.x and 14.1 pretty good, aren't the others on the same tower? Any reason(s) you can think of why I can't pick up the other stations? I can see them in analog at numerous different stations in the UHF band.

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm also in Cache Valley and ever since the new tower on Pisgah went online (Aug 2007), I haven't been able to get 2.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, or 9.x. I can still get 13.x, 14.x with no problem, and sometimes 11.x. Before the tower went online, I got 2.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, 9.x, with no problem from 11/06-08/07. I've tried everything including 4 different antennas, and I can sometimes get 4.x, 5.x and 7.x if I get the antenna turned just right and the weather is right, but 2.x and 9.x are a lost cause. I think I might be getting some kind of signal interference because the SLC tower and Pisgah tower are on the same UHF frequency? Don't really know what it could be, but I know I lost reception when the Pisgah tower went online. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv123 /forum/post/12348066

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm also in Cache Valley and ever since the new tower on Pisgah went online (Aug 2007), I haven't been able to get 2.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, or 9.x. I can still get 13.x, 14.x with no problem, and sometimes 11.x. Before the tower went online, I got 2.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, 9.x, with no problem from 11/06-08/07. I've tried everything including 4 different antennas, and I can sometimes get 4.x, 5.x and 7.x if I get the antenna turned just right and the weather is right, but 2.x and 9.x are a lost cause. I think I might be getting some kind of signal interference because the SLC tower and Pisgah tower are on the same UHF frequency? Don't really know what it could be, but I know I lost reception when the Pisgah tower went online. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.

Wow, that's really interesting. You have the exact same symptoms. Would you care to reveal what part of the Valley you are in? I'm in the extreme north end with a clear LOS view of Mt. Pisgah.

If you were getting the 2-9 digital channels before the tower, that means you were getting them from SLC. Right?

Wierd symptoms...hopefully Ken will enlighten us soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anybody here know if Comcast broadcasts the local HD channels in Salt Lake via QAM? If so, how do I receive these channels if I just have a cable going straight to the TV?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv123 /forum/post/12348066

I did some more research and playing. I believe you are right; it's because Mt. Pisgah and Farnsworth Peak are broadcasting on the *same* UHF frequencies!!! So we are getting some out-of-phase cancellations on 2.x, 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, and 9.x. I can pickup the analog 2, 4, 5, 7, but digital is completely cancelled. I think I'm getting my KSTU 13.1, 13.2, KJZZ 14.1, and occasionally 11.1,2,3,4 from Farnsworth, not Mt. Pisgah.

So who made that decision? If you draw a bearing line from Farnsworth Peak to Mt. Pisgah it crosses the whole of Cache Valley! I suspect we aren't going to be the only ones struggling with this issue.

Ken,

It seems like a very poor decision to broadcast the signals on the same frequencies? Who can we talk to in order to correct this problem?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw82 /forum/post/12350138

Does anybody here know if Comcast broadcasts the local HD channels in Salt Lake via QAM? If so, how do I receive these channels if I just have a cable going straight to the TV?

Thanks!

They do have ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & KUED. Last time I checked they didn't have CW, but there was a note in the latest bill that they were adding that, so it may be there now. You should be able to pick them up by just doing a channel scan. I stopped watching them, and just use the OTA feed now because comcast changes the channels they're assigned to frequently (seems like about every 3-6 months or so). I don't know the channel numbers off the top of my head, but IIRC they're all numbered pretty low right now (I think 1 channel was 0.xxx, and a couple others were actually in their logical place of 2.1, or 5.2 or something). Just doing a channel scan with your QAM tuner (sounds like yours is built into your TV), should find them.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathrandir /forum/post/12359934

They do have ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & KUED. Last time I checked they didn't have CW, but there was a note in the latest bill that they were adding that, so it may be there now. You should be able to pick them up by just doing a channel scan. I stopped watching them, and just use the OTA feed now because comcast changes the channels they're assigned to frequently (seems like about every 3-6 months or so). I don't know the channel numbers off the top of my head, but IIRC they're all numbered pretty low right now (I think 1 channel was 0.xxx, and a couple others were actually in their logical place of 2.1, or 5.2 or something). Just doing a channel scan with your QAM tuner (sounds like yours is built into your TV), should find them.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrang /forum/post/12350110

Wow, that's really interesting. You have the exact same symptoms. Would you care to reveal what part of the Valley you are in? I'm in the extreme north end with a clear LOS view of Mt. Pisgah.

If you were getting the 2-9 digital channels before the tower, that means you were getting them from SLC. Right?

Wierd symptoms...hopefully Ken will enlighten us soon.

I'm west of Smithfield. I am pretty close to a line drawn from Farnsworth to Pisgah and extrapolated north into Cache Valley. I'm pretty sure I was getting 2-9 from SLC before the Pisgah tower went online.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also live in Cache Valley (Nibley) But the only channels I get digitally are 2-1, 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-3, 7-1 through 7-4 and 9-1 9-99. I get no reception from Fox or KJZZ. Sounds like the problem is interference between Farnsworth and Mt. Pisgah. You might want to try taking off your powered amplifier and see if you can get the digital signal from Mt. Pisgah? I know County officials are in negotiation getting KBYU and KJZZ up and broadcasting from the Tower on Pisgah, but it is not there yet. Does anyone know a contact person in Cache County that we could speak to about this?

Thanks in response

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Rig /forum/post/12384985

I also live in Cache Valley (Nibley) But the only channels I get digitally are 2-1, 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-3, 7-1 through 7-4 and 9-1 9-99. I get no reception from Fox or KJZZ. Sounds like the problem is interference between Farnsworth and Mt. Pisgah. You might want to try taking off your powered amplifier and see if you can get the digital signal from Mt. Pisgah? I know County officials are in negotiation getting KBYU and KJZZ up and broadcasting from the Tower on Pisgah, but it is not there yet. Does anyone know a contact person in Cache County that we could speak to about this?

Thanks in response

Thanks...I tried that already and some other things. I've tried weakening the signal by sending the antenna through splitters. I tried turning the antenna off-axis to attempt to only get Mt. Pisgah on a side-band. No luck. I only get KSTU 13.1, 13.2 and KJZZ 14.1 or absolutely nothing (occasionally KBYU 11.1,2,3,4). Just ask my daughter who re-scanned digital channels dozens of times while I played around with the antenna.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The CW 30 (KUCW-TV), the weekly home to Saturday Night Live, will air 5 special primetime episodes of the popular comedy this December.

In addition to broadcasting NBC's primetime Saturday Night Live Best of episodes, The CW 30 will also step in to deliver viewers the critically acclaimed comedy 30 Rock.

December 6, 2007: Wanting viewers to be able to watch some of the funniest moments on television, The CW 30 has reached an agreement with The NBC Network to air 5 special primetime episodes of Saturday Night Live, in addition to the weekly show airing Saturday nights at 10:30pm. The station has also agreed to air episodes of 30 Rock, this year's Emmy winner for Best Comedy.

The local NBC affiliate, KSL-TV, has informed their network they will not deliver this select programming to the viewers of Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Nevada. The NBC network agreement with The CW 30 allows viewers to make their own choice in what they want to watch from the network. And because The CW 30 has become the comedy destination with such syndicated hits as 2 1/2 Men, The King of Queens, and Everybody Loves Raymond, these NBC shows have found a perfect home.

Here are the dates and time people can enjoy these shows on The CW 30:

12/09 8pm 30 ROCK/8:30pm SNL: THE BEST OF WILL FERRELL, vol. 1

12/13 9pm SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE CHRISTMAS

12/15 8pm 30 ROCK/8:30pm SNL: THE BEST OF CHRIS FARLEY

12/22 8pm 30 ROCK/8:30pm SNL: THE BEST OF 2006-07

12/29 8pm 30 ROCK/8:30pm SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE GOES COMMERCIAL

###

About The CW 30 KUCW:

ABC 4 KTVX-TV is the ABC affiliate and CW 30 KUCW-TV is the CW affiliate for the Salt Lake City DMA, owned and operated by Clear Channel Worldwide, headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. ABC4 KTVX-TV is leading the way as a provider of local news, weather and sports information for Utah, Southwest Wyoming, Southeast Idaho and Northeast Nevada, and has been recognized for outstanding journalism by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, the Radio-Television News Directors Association and the Texas Associated Press Broadcasters. For more information, visit abc4.com. The CW 30 leads the way in entertainment programming. For more information, visit cw30.com.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Am I just being over-sensitive or is it just wrong to have KSL cramming Eyewitness News HD down our throats using TV, Radio and web ads 24/7? They don't do their news in HD. Using their standard of HD all of the channels I get from Dish Network and all of the channels I get over-the air are HD. My satellite receiver outputs them at 1080i....

I realize there are bigger problems in the world but you would think you could expect a little more from KSL.

Please just stop with the miss-leading, or what I call false' advertising.

2481 - 2500 of 3788 Posts