AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 3779 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
So, this means no more "30 Rock" in HD? Bummer!

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer /forum/post/12425067

Am I just being over-sensitive or is it just wrong to have KSL cramming Eyewitness News HD down our throats using TV, Radio and web ads 24/7? They don't do their news in HD. Using their standard of HD all of the channels I get from Dish Network and all of the channels I get over-the air are HD. My satellite receiver outputs them at 1080i....

I realize there are bigger problems in the world but you would think you could expect a little more from KSL.

Please just stop with the miss-leading, or what I call false' advertising.

It is HD. The source could be a crappy pixelated youtube video and as long as they upscale it to 1280x720 or 1920x1080, they can still call it High Definition.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne /forum/post/12446645

It is HD. The source could be a crappy pixelated youtube video and as long as they upscale it to 1280x720 or 1920x1080, they can still call it High Definition.

That's just it.... It really isn't HD. The only people that think it is HD is people that don't know any better and people that are using deceptive advertising!

Shame on KSL for taking the 'anything to make money' approach in their marketing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just wanted to say that when I turned on my TV today, all of the new HD channels were added (I'm in SLC proper if that matters). Also, it is USAHD Eastern (according to the guide) which is great because now I can watch Monk and Psych at a normal time (7-9) instead of 10-12.

I'm using a TiVoHD, and it had the channels in the guide, so that was cool that it was added fast. I'm not sure if the cable cards tell the TiVo what channels it has, and maybe that adds it faster? Probably they just had a thing saying add these channels on this date because it was planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenbrad /forum/post/12247932

On 12/11/07, we will launch the following channels: CW HD-656, USA HD-676, HistoryHD-677, Animal Planet HD-678, TLC HD-679, and Discovery HD-680.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The sad fact is that HD camera's really aren't that expensive either. I have one sitting on my floor that shoots in 1080i that I bought for $450 and am selling on ebay. Would love to keep it, but worth more than I paid for and have no real use for a camcorder just yet.

They could get a nicer one from canon for ~$6,000-8,000 that would shoot perfectly fine for field work. Then however much for those nice studio cameras. I think Ken said they were upgrading their cameras though. So really shouldn't matter.

Plus the fact that it's widescreen and their sports highlights are in pseudo HD makes it at least worthwhile in my opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am in Utah County and get my signal via Comcast (no line of sight to Farmington Peak). I have one TV with a QAM tuner connected directly to the cable. Before this week I received KSL-HD on channel 1-257. This week it disappeared. I rescanned the channels and found all the other local HD channels, but KSL wasn't found. Does anyone know where it's gone on the Utah County Comcast system?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvoy /forum/post/12476125

I am in Utah County and get my signal via Comcast (no line of sight to Farmington Peak). I have one TV with a QAM tuner connected directly to the cable. Before this week I received KSL-HD on channel 1-257. This week it disappeared. I rescanned the channels and found all the other local HD channels, but KSL wasn't found. Does anyone know where it's gone on the Utah County Comcast system?

Up here it's on 5-1. It moved from 1-257 to 5 for a few days with Wx being on 105, but now it is on 5-1 with Wx being on 5-3

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/12478712

Up here it's on 5-1. It moved from 1-257 to 5 for a few days with Wx being on 105, but now it is on 5-1 with Wx being on 5-3

That was my first guess, so I tried 5-1, 5-2, and 5-3 but didn't find it on any of them. Apparently they've done something different on the Utah County system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know if you can receive Clear QAM to my soon to be HDTV if I use a digital cable box (non-hd)?

In other words, the cable would run through the cable box to my TV input. If I scan, will it pick up QAM HD signals, or do I have to get rid of the cable box to receive QAM?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw82 /forum/post/12482361

Does anyone know if you can receive Clear QAM to my soon to be HDTV if I use a digital cable box (non-hd)?

In other words, the cable would run through the cable box to my TV input. If I scan, will it pick up QAM HD signals, or do I have to get rid of the cable box to receive QAM?

Thanks!

Gotta lose the box.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw82 /forum/post/12482361

Thanks!

There isn't a pass-through on the box. So you if use a splitter to split the cable, with one going into the cable box and then other going into your TV, you'll see the locals (clear QAM) just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvoy /forum/post/12476125

I've got the same problem. (I'm in provo). HD NBC seems to be gone; it was on 5-0 for a few days after it disappeared from 1-257, but now it seems to be gone entirely. However I did find HD CW at 114-1. If anyone comes across the HD NBC, please let us know where it is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm using cable cards in a TiVo HD (in SLC). Last night at 8pm, most of the HD channels went out (only HBOHD, the locals HD, and National Geographic HD are working). Comcast techs came out this morning and after 45 minutes they said it was a headend issue and that they had been notified. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here using cable cards that are seeing this same issue (how widespread is it?). The channels work fine with the STB in the other room, so I'm curious as to what the issue is. I just hope it gets fixed soon

Edit: I just checked the cable box, and a lot of the HD channels are not working there too. I called customer service again and the guy said that it could be hours or days - they don't have a solution to the problem yet (whatever it may be). When I was on the phone, I also asked about SciFi HD; he said that he saw it on a list of channels to be added sometime within a year (I know - I was depressed too that it may take that long). Yet, he did say that they are ahead of schedule because those 6 HD channels added last week weren't really supposed to be added until next year.

Edit 2: As of yesterday (Saturday) night at around 11:30 - all of the HD channels are now working again. Glad they got it fixed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the translator technician for Cache County. I will attempt to clear up all the questions. Cache County only has 4 HD channels on the air right now because that is all the companion channel licenses the FCC granted. It is important to understand that digital and analog signals do not behave the same way. Most of the data available for digital transmission has been obtained from the experience of translator operators in Utan. There are no channels available in Cache Valley so it was decided to apply for digital companion channels on the same frequencies as the Salt Lake stations. The FCC granted the applications for on channel translators based on what they knew at the time and their computer program said it would work. As anyone who lives in the North end of the valley knows, the on channel idea does not work. In fact, it makes it impossible to see either the main station or the translator. Most everyone in the South end of the valley (South of Logan) can see the translators because there is not enough of the Salt Lake signal getting in to cause interference in the digital receiver. The solution is to flash cut all the channels - that is, discontinue the analog broadcast and put the digital signals where the analog channels currently reside. That action will be required a year from now anyway. The County Council has decided not to do this until November 2008. Beginning in January 2008 coupons are available that provide $40 towards the purchase of a digital receiver. These receivers decode the digital signal and convert it back to analog for those who do not yet have a digital tv. So pressure from the citizens is needed to get the Council to agree to switch to digital before November 2008. Until then, interference between the main transmitters and the translators will continue to make it impossible to see the digital signals in the North end of the valley. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrayHota /forum/post/12486742

I've got the same problem. (I'm in provo). HD NBC seems to be gone; it was on 5-0 for a few days after it disappeared from 1-257, but now it seems to be gone entirely. However I did find HD CW at 114-1. If anyone comes across the HD NBC, please let us know where it is.

A couple of days ago I did a rescan and KSL-HD reappeared at 5-1. However I did not pick up HD CW like you did. It seems like they're shuffling these around frequently.

2501 - 2520 of 3779 Posts