AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 3782 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvoy /forum/post/12537682

A couple of days ago I did a rescan and KSL-HD reappeared at 5-1. However I did not pick up HD CW like you did. It seems like they're shuffling these around frequently.

Up here, the CW is at 114-646.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by transtech /forum/post/12537613

I am the translator technician for Cache County. I will attempt to clear up all the questions. Cache County only has 4 HD channels on the air right now because that is all the companion channel licenses the FCC granted. It is important to understand that digital and analog signals do not behave the same way. Most of the data available for digital transmission has been obtained from the experience of translator operators in Utan. There are no channels available in Cache Valley so it was decided to apply for digital companion channels on the same frequencies as the Salt Lake stations. The FCC granted the applications for on channel translators based on what they knew at the time and their computer program said it would work. As anyone who lives in the North end of the valley knows, the on channel idea does not work. In fact, it makes it impossible to see either the main station or the translator. Most everyone in the South end of the valley (South of Logan) can see the translators because there is not enough of the Salt Lake signal getting in to cause interference in the digital receiver. The solution is to flash cut all the channels - that is, discontinue the analog broadcast and put the digital signals where the analog channels currently reside. That action will be required a year from now anyway. The County Council has decided not to do this until November 2008. Beginning in January 2008 coupons are available that provide $40 towards the purchase of a digital receiver. These receivers decode the digital signal and convert it back to analog for those who do not yet have a digital tv. So pressure from the citizens is needed to get the Council to agree to switch to digital before November 2008. Until then, interference between the main transmitters and the translators will continue to make it impossible to see the digital signals in the North end of the valley. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! Now we know what to do next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In responce to GADIANTON, I am in New Harmony, home of that Gadianton John D. Lee and do receive KSL in HD on my HR20. along with the other 3 SLC stations in HD. If the signal is still coming off transponder 4 Sat. 103a St. G. should be getting the signal now that it has been increased to this area. I am also getting KSL ON 5.1 on the HR20 as well as 7.1 and 13.1 but none of the other sub channels. Using my Toshiba DST-3000 I get all the sub channels. I guess DirecTV mislabeled the HR20 as an ATSC receiver when it should have bee labeled "Limited " receiver.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHITTYB /forum/post/12599473

In responce to GADIANTON, I am in New Harmony, home of that Gadianton John D. Lee and do receive KSL in HD on my HR20. along with the other 3 SLC stations in HD. If the signal is still coming off transponder 4 Sat. 103a St. G. should be getting the signal now that it has been increased to this area. I am also getting KSL ON 5.1 on the HR20 as well as 7.1 and 13.1 but none of the other sub channels. Using my Toshiba DST-3000 I get all the sub channels. I guess DirecTV mislabeled the HR20 as an ATSC receiver when it should have bee labeled "Limited " receiver.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHITTYB /forum/post/12599473

In the past couple days, I have started to receive the SLC locals on transponder 21 from D10 at a signal strength of 90. I don't know if everyone is on that transponder now or not. Its not good news though as transponder 4 from the Spaceway is at 97 so I'm getting a weaker signal now than from the Spaceway. The peculiar part is that transponder 19 from D10 has a signal strength of 100, but they aren't using that one. To see which transponder you are receiving, tune to a couple of the locals from the satellite, then run system test and match up the signal strengths from that to what is showing in your satellite signal strength screens. D10 transponders are anything above 16 on the 103(a) screen. On the other issue, I get all of the sub channels OTA on my HR20. Are you sure they are checked in the antenna setup and in your favorites? May need to reset the box also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In responce to ARAMUS8, Yes I have set up the antena and favorites guide, called Tech. Support, did a reboot, had a Ironwood installer out - he spent a half hour on the phone trying to get info. I even emailed DirecTV. They responded that I should make sure that the BBCs were in place, make sure my dish was aligned properly and that my old Toshiba had a signal amplifier in it which the HR20s do not....

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHITTYB /forum/post/12602997

In responce to ARAMUS8, Yes I have set up the antena and favorites guide, called Tech. Support, did a reboot, had a Ironwood installer out - he spent a half hour on the phone trying to get info. I even emailed DirecTV. They responded that I should make sure that the BBCs were in place, make sure my dish was aligned properly and that my old Toshiba had a signal amplifier in it which the HR20s do not....

That is puzzling. The worst part of your situation is that if you demand a new box, you may get one that doesn't do OTA at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy New Year and such.

I'm new to this forum and have done some lurking but not much. I'm in the East Millcreek area around 3900 south and 2700 east. The lot to my south has sprung a monster home which blocks around 40-50 degrees of southern exposure. Can someone direct me to the resources needed to determine which satellite service in the Salt Lake area is best to subscribe to for a High Def signal.

Current equipment is a 32" 720p lcd and a 46" 1080p lcd as well as several CRT's and a rear projection analog set. Seems that everyone in the house has individual programming needs.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroxchange /forum/post/12648142

Happy New Year and such.

I'm new to this forum and have done some lurking but not much. I'm in the East Millcreek area around 3900 south and 2700 east. The lot to my south has sprung a monster home which blocks around 40-50 degrees of southern exposure. Can someone direct me to the resources needed to determine which satellite service in the Salt Lake area is best to subscribe to for a High Def signal.

Current equipment is a 32" 720p lcd and a 46" 1080p lcd as well as several CRT's and a rear projection analog set. Seems that everyone in the house has individual programming needs.

DirecTV is at ~154 degrees. Dish Network is a little bit west of that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I upgraded to HD service about 2 months ago. Orbit Communications installed an HR20-700. I went through 3 of those receivers trying to solve Pixelation issues on Local HD and a few other channels. The last new receiver introduced a problem with sound through the optical cable. Directv came out last Monday and he worked his head off to insure that all was well with the dish and the cable runs. He finally installed a new hr21-700 before I learned that I lost my OTA connection to local hd which was my life line. The sound was fixed and everything appeared ok until Tuesday and today when one or two local HD's come on as a white screen on my 52" Sharp Aquos. Today I ran a test on the HR21-700 and everything was ok, ABC was a white screen, after the test ABC HD was ok. I have called Directv to see if I could get an HR20-700 back and they said unlikely.

Any suggestions? I'm about to call Comcast or Utopia, just kidding!!

Thanks for any help

utbronco

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are a whole bunch of posts on lack of OTA on the HR21's on DBSTalk, a sister site to this one. There is a USB OTA solution coming for the HR21. D* hasn't yet released a date and there will be a cost involved. Again there is a lot of info on the other site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have done probably too much reading but have decided to keep my hr21. Seem like it is almost impossible to find an HR20 these days so I will stay satisfied with what I have. I appreciated you pointing me into a very informative blog, thanks again!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought an HDTV,mainly for my XBOX 360, but I found out you could get local HD programming from an antenna. I live in the dorms at the University of Utah, so getting satellite was out of the question. I bought this: Antenna but am not too sure how to get it to work. Or it might not work at all, since all I get is a lot of static and just a little bit of the actual picture. Is there something I need to do to my TV to get it to pickup the signal better? Or do I need to buy a new one or something?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Question for anyone? Is your closed captioning working on KSL? Mine quit and it is working on all the others. This would be the digital 5.1. Thanks. Wayne

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCOLORADOTV /forum/post/12694006

Question for anyone? Is your closed captioning working on KSL? Mine quit and it is working on all the others. This would be the digital 5.1. Thanks. Wayne

No CC1 here on either D*, Comcast, or OTA.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB89 /forum/post/12691653

Hey guys, I just bought an HDTV,mainly for my XBOX 360, but I found out you could get local HD programming from an antenna. I live in the dorms at the University of Utah, so getting satellite was out of the question. I bought this: Antenna but am not too sure how to get it to work. Or it might not work at all, since all I get is a lot of static and just a little bit of the actual picture. Is there something I need to do to my TV to get it to pickup the signal better? Or do I need to buy a new one or something?

Thanks for any help.

The UHF antenna on that model is in the main body so you will have to try different positions for best reception. The rabbit ears are for VHF only.

What kind of signal strength/quality reading are you getting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I returned that one and got a more expensive one, which is working great so far. My only problem now though is that I can't pick up Fox. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was thinking about posting this to "The Official AVS Antenna / OTA Reception Topic", but thought I should check here first for local input.

I live on the west side of Layton--right around the intersection of Layton/Syracuse/Clearfield. I'm building a home theater PC and want to try out OTA reception. Our home (2 levels) has coax (but no power) run to the attic, so I can definitely put an antenna up there.

What I need is a recommendation of an antenna to look at. I want something that's not hugely complex to install, but also something that will get the best possible reception. Easy, right?

It has to go *in* the attic--not on top of the house.

Also, is there any reason to tune analog signals? I'm looking at the HDHomeRun (network tuner), but it only does digital. Is that going to be a problem now or in the future?

Thanks for all of your help and recommendations! I'd love to hear any success stories from my area.

Michael

·
Registered
438 Posts
Probably no reason to tune analog signals. I haven't worried about them for a few years now.

You might just try a Silver Sensor . It's not an attic antenna by any means, but that's where I have mine, and it works fine from Provo. If worse comes to worst, you're out $20-$30 and a trip to the attic.

2521 - 2540 of 3782 Posts