AVS Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 3780 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDub /forum/post/12752876

I was thinking about posting this to "The Official AVS Antenna / OTA Reception Topic", but thought I should check here first for local input.

I live on the west side of Layton--right around the intersection of Layton/Syracuse/Clearfield. I'm building a home theater PC and want to try out OTA reception. Our home (2 levels) has coax (but no power) run to the attic, so I can definitely put an antenna up there.

What I need is a recommendation of an antenna to look at. I want something that's not hugely complex to install, but also something that will get the best possible reception. Easy, right?

It has to go *in* the attic--not on top of the house.

Also, is there any reason to tune analog signals? I'm looking at the HDHomeRun (network tuner), but it only does digital. Is that going to be a problem now or in the future?

Thanks for all of your help and recommendations! I'd love to hear any success stories from my area.

Michael

I used this in my attic and it works well.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

By the way, I just set it in my attic, I did not mount it on a pole (or whatever you call it) because that was an extra charge I believe.

I have this running to my Media Center PC and I record all my local shows and stream them wirelessly to my 360s. Works just like TIVO, but in HD and without the monthly charge (although the initial cost was higher than a TIVO unit).

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDub /forum/post/12752876

Our home (2 levels) has coax (but no power) run to the attic, so I can definitely put an antenna up there.

FYI. If you need to run a signal booster, most of them provide power over the coax. So you don't need power in the attic.

I have a similar antenna to the link provided above in my attic. With a signal booster, I can pickup Fox DTV 100 miles away over the Wellsville mountain range!
Unfortunately, most of the other channels from Farnsworth Peak are being canceled out by another closer tower on the same frequencies.

Well, at least the Superbowl is broadcast on Fox this year.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB89 /forum/post/12754633

So can anyone pick up the HD Fox channel with their antenna, or am I the only one not capable of getting it?

I get HD Fox in West Valley using an antenna. It is on 13.2, by the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB89 /forum/post/12754633

So can anyone pick up the HD Fox channel with their antenna, or am I the only one not capable of getting it?

Something sounds fishy with you. I think Fox has the most powerful transmitter on Farnsworth Peak. You should be able to pick it up along the Wasatch front if you are getting the other channels. Analog 13, and digital UHF channel 28 maps to 13-1 (SDTV) and 13-2 (HDTV).

Try your antenna on the other side of the building and run a coax to the TV for a test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I finally picked Fox up. It comes in weaker then my other channels though. Thank god I found it though, because I love football.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB89 /forum/post/12757450

I finally picked Fox up. It comes in weaker then my other channels though. Thank god I found it though, because I love football.

FWIW: Neat trick when it comes to watching football OTA on FOX13 HD.

- Select multilanguage Spanish for announcer-free sound...you will still hear everything anyone in the stadium would hear like ref calls and stuff happening on the field even better becuase of all the parabolic mikes in use nowadays...

At least that is the way I prefer to watch the games and my cheapo Fuchicomm tuner lets me do this...

This will be the way I plan on watching the Superbowl since its broadcast on FOX this year and by selecting Spanish, I've noticed that the commercials will still come thru in the default English channel.

If you haven't tried this give it a shot next time a game is on FOX...too bad the other major networks CBS,NBC aren't making use of the the Spanish subchannel...yet

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by transtech /forum/post/12537613

I am the translator technician for Cache County. I will attempt to clear up all the questions. Cache County only has 4 HD channels on the air right now because that is all the companion channel licenses the FCC granted. It is important to understand that digital and analog signals do not behave the same way. Most of the data available for digital transmission has been obtained from the experience of translator operators in Utan. There are no channels available in Cache Valley so it was decided to apply for digital companion channels on the same frequencies as the Salt Lake stations. The FCC granted the applications for on channel translators based on what they knew at the time and their computer program said it would work. As anyone who lives in the North end of the valley knows, the on channel idea does not work. In fact, it makes it impossible to see either the main station or the translator. Most everyone in the South end of the valley (South of Logan) can see the translators because there is not enough of the Salt Lake signal getting in to cause interference in the digital receiver. The solution is to flash cut all the channels - that is, discontinue the analog broadcast and put the digital signals where the analog channels currently reside. That action will be required a year from now anyway. The County Council has decided not to do this until November 2008. Beginning in January 2008 coupons are available that provide $40 towards the purchase of a digital receiver. These receivers decode the digital signal and convert it back to analog for those who do not yet have a digital tv. So pressure from the citizens is needed to get the Council to agree to switch to digital before November 2008. Until then, interference between the main transmitters and the translators will continue to make it impossible to see the digital signals in the North end of the valley. Hope that helps!

I live in Nibley, so I can receive all the digital transmissions from Mt. Pisgah, my question is when will we be able to receive broadcasts from Fox and KJZZ. Does CAche County have to get special permission from the FCC to broadcast more than 4 Channels? I know KJZZ and KBYU are both in the works to have the signal put on MT. Pisgah, but any word on FOX? I would LOVE to be able to watch the Superbowl on Fox in HD.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Rig /forum/post/12765812

I live in Nibley, so I can receive all the digital transmissions from Mt. Pisgah, my question is when will we be able to receive broadcasts from Fox and KJZZ. Does CAche County have to get special permission from the FCC to broadcast more than 4 Channels? I know KJZZ and KBYU are both in the works to have the signal put on MT. Pisgah, but any word on FOX? I would LOVE to be able to watch the Superbowl on Fox in HD.

Thanks!

No, no! Don't do that.
Certainly not before the Superbowl! When they start Fox on Mt. Pisgah, the northern half of the valley will lose Fox. And that's the ONLY digital channel we regularly get now that they ruined the rest of the channels for us. Please don't take the Superbowl away from us.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Television Calibration?

I am looking for a ISF certified tech in the Ogden/Salt Lake City area to clean and professionally calibrate my older Mitsubishi (WS-55411) rear projection television.

Any helful advice or reccomendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You can do most of the cleaning and adjustments yourself but the one thing you won't be able to do is adjust the grayscale accurately. You can take the speaker grill off and undo the screws that secure the screen to remove it for cleaning. You can use windex or a cleaner that does not have ammonia in it and use a soft cloth to wipe off the guns. While you have the screen off you can clean out any spider webs and dust as well. What sources do you have connected and how? The mitsu is setup to save settings by scan rate, 480i, 480p, 1080i, i can't remember for 720p off the top of my head. Do you have AVIA or Digital Video Essentials dvd or hd dvd? They will also assist in setting your basic 5 user. I believe you also have access to the color decoder in the advanced menu to compensate for the red push instead of having to reprogram the eeprom, which is nice. When you set your color temperature to 6500K and display a gray ramp, do you see any color shifts in the blacks and whites to red, blue or green instead of neutral gray? It's hard to know what d6500K looks like by eye when you are not familiar with it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Has something happened to CW (30.1)? I live in Murray and have been receiving CW until a couple of days ago. Now I get no signal when I tune to 30.1.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Does anybody have any idea what happened to KUTV HD on D* I just get the SD feed of that channel (so, I get 2 KUTV SD channels) and the guide doesn't even have any HD icons. The other channels are fine, and it is fine on Comcast as well.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt /forum/post/12788958

Has something happened to CW (30.1)? I live in Murray and have been receiving CW until a couple of days ago. Now I get no signal when I tune to 30.1.

It's fine here in Taylorsville. You may just need to re-scan.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/12789345

It's fine here in Taylorsville. You may just need to re-scan.

I did a re-scan and it doesn't find it. I can view channel 30 analog or I can key in 48.3 and get CW but not at 30.1. It disappeared on 3 HDTVs and the OTA portion of an HD TiVo a few days ago.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratt /forum/post/12789614

I did a re-scan and it doesn't find it. I can view channel 30 analog or I can key in 48.3 and get CW but not at 30.1. It disappeared on 3 HDTVs and the OTA portion of an HD TiVo a few days ago.

Sounds like a tagging issue. CW is on ch 48 (digitally), so at least it 's seeing it. No idea why the tags aren't being seen by your equipment, though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bachelor,

Thanks for you advice and instructions.

I have my components (Direct TV HR20-700, Sony DVD player, Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A35, etc.) running through a Onkyo TX-SR603X receiver and then into the DTV input on the television.

I do have the Digital Video Essentials DVD and have calibrated the televsion with it.

The reason I am looking into this is because I have noticed the brightness in the TV has gotten lower and I am seeing hazy shadows in the corner of the screen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks to all that gave me antenna recommendations. Just a quick question, though...

Is there any reason I need an analog tuner? I'm looking at the HDHomeRun networked tuner which only has digital tuners. If there isn't a need for analog, I think this will be my choice.

Thanks.

Michael

2541 - 2560 of 3780 Posts