AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the IT business and I just salvaged a GE Imager 601 on a job.

It was set up in a cabinet, but I got the appropriate manuals etc. and have it showing The Matrix on a slide projector screen right now. I checked the hours and it had a whopping 482 hours shown in the menu.

So, now I've been perusing this and other (This is the best I've found so far!) forums and other web resources to get a few questions answered about whether or not it's a good idea to try and scrap together a home theatre room.

What I have:

1) Lot's of PC knowledge and parts.

2) The aforementioned GE Imager 601 with ceiling mount.

3) A 10 x 18 spare room with an (ouch!) 7' 3" ceiling.

4) Enough home and commercial audio equipment to scrap up a

beginning 5.1 surround system.

5) A Technically and hobby electronics oriented brain.

6) No Wife.

7) Oddly enough, a vintage 1970's theatre corn popper with amber plexi and all.

My big question is set-up. I would like to have the CRT ceiling mounted but BEHIND the seating area above some cabinetry on the back wall. This is so that I don't hit my head on it! (I'm almost 6' 3")

Immediately I realized this would put me into either A) a really big screen and remodeling project or B) Cutting the 18 foot room up with a divider wall and putting a popcorn machine and some movie posters in the entranceway it would create. I am also quite willing to remove the two windows in the viewing area and can entirely wire up some remote controlled lighting easily enough.

So, how big of a screen at what distance is comfortable and practical with this model?

When this model dies can I reasonably expect to purchase a suitable replacement in the future, or is planning around an outdated model a bad idea for remodeling a bit?

What screen material should I use? It will be dedicated, so I envisioned a little stage with some curtains and a fixed screen. I intend to only watch movies (not much interest in television I'm afraid) but do have some that are in standard format, although I prefer the original format in each case. Reading here has given me the impression that a more versatile non-fixed screen has an advantage.

Thank you all so much in advance for considering helping me out with a reply. :)

~tofu2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read the guides here, and even about mirrors to make the projection length longer, but I've got the opposite problem- low ceiling and long room.

Any advice on what a good viewing size for the screen would be? Then I can partition off the room to the appropriate length.

Thanks!

~Tofu2

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
Google for the owners manual. It'll give guidelines on projection throw distances. You'll probably find more info on the NEC version, NEC PG-6000. I'll let you know if I find any good links (I own an Electrohome, not GE/NEC). But there are lots of 6PG owners on this forum.

crt cinema.com/manuals.html (remove the space)
http://www.projectorspecifications.com/manuals.php
http://www.necvisualsystems.com/corp...g6000_9000.pdf

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you already had the manuals and are already projecting an image, so you know in real time how large it projects from a given distance.

While I'm rambling...

My company got bought and merged with another company a couple of years ago. We met at their offices. I remembered seeing a big Electrohome or Barco in their training room (this was before I found this forum).

Fast forward a year later, when we'd merged into combined office space. After I found this forum, I sent out an e-mail saying "whatever happened to that large CRT projector?". The reply came back "We hadn't used it since we bought the Epson, so we tossed it with a lot of other stuff when we moved."

Sigh.

So please, put a yellow sticky on every remaining CRT in the US that says: "Notice: Must be disposed of properly. Contact Clarence for further instructions."

Glad to hear this GE found a good home.

-Clarence

·
Registered
392 Posts
It took me about a month after I had my first projector to actually get it mounted. I spent days measuring, moving the projector around, and thinking about all the options before committing to a setup.

That was 7 - 8 years ago. The room has a lot to do with things. You have to balance ceiling hight, projector throw, target wall size and shape, room traffic, seating, how you will run cables, how you will mount (Studs) and who knows what else.

Have fun, it was a great project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.