AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a Samsung HLN 5065W at BestBuy today, should get it Tuesday, certainly by Friday. They matched my internet low of $3660 incl. tax. My question is, what do I need to get before it gets here, and what sort of interconnects should I get? I have a Dish 508 at present, and am now in the market for a Progressive Scan DVD. Too remote for an HDTV signal, will get that from sat, as soon as I can get it from Dish. Will the DVI connect directly to the sat hdtv receiver , or is that just for a set top box hdtv receiver for an antennae signal? Any input appreciated. thanks.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mjblaw
I have a Dish 508 at present, and am now in the market for a Progressive Scan DVD.
If you can wait for a DVI DVD player there are a lot of people here who think that's the way to go. By this summer there should be several to choose from.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Resist
Did you check with TV Authority? They have the 5065 for $3495.
He said $3660 INCL TAX so I would say he did as well or better than TV Authority AND he didn't have to pay shipping.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Ordered a Samsung HLN 5065W at BestBuy today, should get it Tuesday, certainly by Friday. They matched my internet low of $3660 incl. tax
Congrats! How did you pull that off?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, Best Buy beat the best offer, as they offered me a $200 cash back on another purchase, and 18 mo. financing on the offer. I paid cash, but it was an option. I got a three year warranty, which includes tweaking the thing if I can't get it right myself. If you give them the best internet offer, the manager should try to beat it, even though the fine print says"local "offer. In Lubbock, Texas, that means circuit city, which ain't hard. On the DVI advice re the DVD,which I appreciate and will probably follow, I have a follow up question: Will a sat hdtv receiver have a dvi connection as well, or will I have to use the component input? I mean to tell ya, there is no such thing as too many connections..........

·
Registered
56 Posts
The consensus on here is that if you have a progressive scan DVD player, then turn OFF the progressive-ness and let the TV do the conversion.

The praises of people with DVI DVD players or HTPCs with a DVI connection are loud and frequent.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
...I have a follow up question: Will a sat hdtv receiver have a dvi connection as well, or will I have to use the component input? I mean to tell ya, there is no such thing as too many connections..........
The Samsung and others do. That leaves you with a connection dilemma. One DVI input and two DVI outputs.

There is no "good" solution yet. If you can set up your TV so you can swap cables that would work. Otherwise, you have to let one of your children go begging at the component connections.

I'm going to try swapping while I wait for a clean but affordable DVI switch.

Next year's Samsung DLP TVs should have two DVI inputs. I can't wait that long.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aewing
He said $3660 INCL TAX so I would say he did as well or better than TV Authority AND he didn't have to pay shipping.
Well since he's not in Florida and he wouldn't have to pay tax. I bet he would have gotten free shipping also. I did!

So he would have only had to pay $3495 to his door.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, but......I got a $200 credit from Best Buy, plus a nearby return post should something go wrong; and, BB will send a (hopefully) knowledgeable techy to tweak the HLN if I'm unable to. Its a tossup; I'm just leery of a mail order delivery of such a pricey and untested new technology without some backup. However, I will definitely plug tv authority as THE best m/o alternative. Especially as it seems many BB's won't do what mine did....

·
Registered
1 Posts
:D Just to give you guys the heads up. The price i bought the Sammy HLN5065W was $3700 flat. This included the matching stand and a 5year warrenty,and tax. Im not sure but i think i did pretty good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pick mine up tomorrow. Then the Denon 2900 dvd; then a little Rotel 1095 to add some amps.............Somebody help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up an HLN5065w at Best Buy last Friday, and they matched the internet prices I found. (Just had to take a print copy of the price from the internet.) Got it for a few bucks under $3500, and at Best Buy they are running a promo that gives you a rebate in the form of a $200 BB Gift certificate when you buy a TV for more than $2k. planning to use it toward a DVI DVD player.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.