AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I bought a Samsung HLP4663W used and AS-IS a few months ago, and up till yesterday it worked fine. When I turned it on yesterday morning, after about 10-15 minutes the colors started acting weird, it looked like it had too much green and red in it, then after another 10-15 minutes it went out all together. Now when I attempt to turn it on, it makes a growling sound, and a green light comes on in the front that says "Lamp". I'm assuming it's probably just the lamp that went out, which I hear is fairly easy to replace. Just wanted to get someone elses opinion before I fork out the money for something that might obviously not be the issue.

Appreciate any feedback, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Growling sound could be a color wheel.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdozbou /forum/post/15489713

Hello all,

I bought a Samsung HLP4663W used and AS-IS a few months ago, and up till yesterday it worked fine. When I turned it on yesterday morning, after about 10-15 minutes the colors started acting weird, it looked like it had too much green and red in it, then after another 10-15 minutes it went out all together. Now when I attempt to turn it on, it makes a growling sound, and a green light comes on in the front that says "Lamp". I'm assuming it's probably just the lamp that went out, which I hear is fairly easy to replace. Just wanted to get someone elses opinion before I fork out the money for something that might obviously not be the issue.

Appreciate any feedback, and thanks in advance!

If its a high pitched sound like a circular saw then it is probably the color wheel. Early model Samsung DLPs, of the HLM and HLN vintage, had color wheels that had a tendency to fail but I was under the impression that this had been fixed through a new design (that could be retrofitted to the earlier models) by the time the HLPs and later models were released.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a high pitched sound, it sounds more like a bad bearing to me, I can't explain it any more than "growling". Theres a large square area on the back of the set that looks like it comes out via 4 screws, the sound / vibration seems to be coming from this area.

Again, your advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Could be a fan, could be a color wheel. Stop the fan when it is making the noise to find out. My guess is a bad color wheel. They often make a groaning sound. I have one right now doing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts