AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of Alfredo Garcia. This is a four star movie. But so is The Wild Bunch by Peckinpah. You are a ***** if you do not think so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Although the Bunch is my favorite of the two, Garcia rates as a true off the wall masterpiece. The first ten minutes alone makes the movie.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also have The Getaway with Steve McQueen. It's a good flick, if you haven't checked out that peckinpah movie you should.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
It's amazing how positively brimming over with Peckinpah fans this forum is. :D Oh well... one more plug for The Osterman Weekend: Peckinpah distilled to it's barest and baddest essentials.

If you liked Wild Bunch and some of Peckinpah's other films btw, it don't necessarily mean you'll dig Osterman Weekend (which is a bit more cerebral). They're each different animals.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Also, a pretty good film (IMO anyway) which seemed to follow more or less in the Peckinpah tradition was Way of the Gun with Benicio de Toro.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I heard good things about "Straw Dogs". Before I rent it (it is no longer for sale through Criterion), does anyone have an opinion on it?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Only a true putz could think that another fella was a ***** just because he didn't like some movie, especially if the movie in question was a sick, sadistic fantasy that was created in an alchoholic stupor by a director on the skids.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
En Sabur----Straw Dogs is another sicko fantasy, a disgusting movie. Sam made 2 great pictures; Major Dundee and The Wild Bunch.

I saw both when they were released and after The Wild Bunch I thought Pekinpah was gonna be somebody and do great things. Instead we got Alfredo Garcia and Pat Garett and Billy The Kid. Cross of Iron has it's moments though, a couple only.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Tom Brennan -Get a sense of humor - maybe I should a put a smilie- Sorry if I offended your sensibilities. However if you do not like Peckinpah brother you are not anywhere near Irish.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Houston-----Well I thought I was pretty near Irish; parents are from Ireland, grew up in an Irish neighborhood on the West Side of Chicago, educated by the Sisters of Mercy and the Jesuits, never knew even knew a Protestant until I was 18 (knew lots of Jews though), I vote straight Democrat, like the White Sox and hate the Cubs; all that Irish stuff. :)

Hell, what would a Texian know from the Irish anyway? :) Not exactly a place where the Harps got off the boat or swarmed too. Though I recall there was a town of Irish colonists that sided with ole Santa Anna back in 18and36.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
For those curious about Tom's comment, a similar situation happened again in 1848. The el Patricio's were a regiment of catholics (btw, I am catholic too), most of whom were Irish immigrants, who deserted and fought with Santa Anna against the American forces invading Mexico. The fellowship of their faith was stronger than their patriotism for a new country that did not exactly welcome them with open arms. The prejudices against catholics, already pronounced, was severely exacerbated by such events for many years.

Back to the topic,

My favorite Peckinpah movie is The Wild Bunch. It astounded me with the impact he intended when I first saw its initial theater run; "When you get shot, it hurts." My second favorite movie of his is Straw Dogs then the Getaway and followed closely by Papillion. Osterman Weekend is not cerebral, it is brain dead, because it is based on a weak novel by Robert Ludlum who wrote formulaic cold war crap (I've read 'em all :D ).

·
Registered
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by En Sabur Nur
I heard good things about "Straw Dogs". Before I rent it (it is no longer for sale through Criterion), does anyone have an opinion on it?
Straw Dogs is one of my favorite Sam Pekinpah films. Dustin Hoffman is excellent here, playing a troubled young scientist. The story gradually builds, with the tension growing so thick you can cut it with a knife. The ending is incredible, including a fight scene that is one of the best ever filmed.

Criterion's two disc set is first rate; their license to produce and distribute only expired at the end of December, and the DVD set can still be easily obtained from most retailers.

Howie

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RBO
Osterman Weekend is not cerebral, it is brain dead, because it is based on a weak novel by Robert Ludlum who wrote formulaic cold war crap (I've read 'em all :D ).
Ouch! :D I guess one man's cerebral is another's brain-dead. Perhaps that was the wrong word though.

FWIW, what I appreciate about Osterman Weekend is that unlike 99% of most action pictures it doesn't try to gloss over or prop up it's violence with sappy, contrived pretense, or fantasy. Instead it's an attempt to show what violence and survival really feels like, in all its cold and calculating nastiness, when it's closeup and personal under very extreme circumstances.

I wouldn't call it "entertaining", but it was an interesting, if dispassionate, examination of its subject and use of cinema. The slow-mo scenes in this film are the grandaddy of the Matrix's "bullet time". The difference is that while you're watching a film like the Matrix (or most action pictures these days) and marvelling at the fantastic FX, it's easy to forget that what you're actually seeing is people killing each other. Unlike Osterman Weekend, the human dimension is lost.

The problem with films like these is that there may be some folks out there that have trouble separating movies from reality, who might be tempted to try to act out some of what's in the film, which needless to say, ain't such a good thing.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I am part Irish too btw (isn't everybody?), but haven't kissed the Blarney stone or seen any leprechauns lately. And the closest I've ever gotten to Ireland is a box of Lucky Charms.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I thought everyone was part Cherokee.

Anyway, I was going to comment on the Peck. Some good stuff there - Cross of Iron is among the best "war is absurd" type movies. Straw Dogs is truly hair-raising, which is a rarity.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
All Peckinpah is worth at least a look; nobody has mentioned The Killer Elite or one of his best, The Ballad of Cable Hogue (which is seriously damaged by having been made during that two or three year window in which directors were doing multi-screen images- it worked in Woodstock, but not much else). Oh gawd, and Convoy! Tractor-trailers as dinosaurs. Lots of his movies are filled with disgusting violence. That's sort of their point.

Papillion is directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, incidentally.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have none of you seen Ride The High Country a 1962 western starring Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea?. It was Scotts last movie and McCrea only acted in two more features.

How about a few comments about this feature, the direction was great, the acting and photography superb. The final shot is one of the great ones in movie history.

You can not find this yet on DVD but the laserdisc is available now and then on E-Bay.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaded Dogfood
Papillion is directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, incidentally.
Doh! My error. Thanks for the correction. :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom Brennan , since I am about 6th generation Irish I am sorely disappointed that you do not salivate over every Peckinpah movie. But tomorrow is another day. Chicago!!! - a Great Fun Town. BTW check out the Sergio Leone movies , maybe we can turn you. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.