AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally figuring out that my Compaq Presario's VIA chipset was the culprit of my system lockups while viewing accessDTV recordings, I moved my accessDTV card over to a new HTPC that uses an Intel chipset, and life is almost good again.

I say almost because after transferring the *.adtv files for my Wednesday night recording of The West Wing over to the "clips" directory on my new HTPC, the recording refuses to show up as a watchable file in the accessDTV player. My understanding of the copy-protection scheme built into accessDTV is that only the accessDTV card that recorded a file can watch that file. Well, it's the same card, and I can't see my file! GRR. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif Are there other file(s) that must also be present? Is what I am trying to do impossible?

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Scott,

Glad that you get the accessDTV card working. I have absolutely no idea how to xfer recorded files to a new hard drive or system. Why don't you send an email to the Support Manager Brian at accessDTV.

------------------

Best Regards, Cliff

Digital Connection, LLC

[email protected]

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Glad that you get the accessDTV card working. I have absolutely no idea how to xfer recorded files to a new hard drive or system. Why don't you send an email to the Support Manager Brian at accessDTV.
Yes, and please post the results. I'm sure there are many of us who are interested in this.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC Faq , dScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just sent a message to accessDTV and I cc-ed you, Cliff. Hopefully it will not take them four days this time around to send me a response.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Scott,

Here's something to try while waiting on a reply from iTech. Copy the entire folder containing your recordings to the other machine, but make sure it's the same drive and folder as on the original. Then, copy the accessDTV\\bin\\db folder from the original machine to the new one, overwriting existing files. I'm guessing the recording info is stored in one of those dbase files, so maybe that will work.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to iTech (got an e-mail first thing this morning!), all that I should have to do is copy the entire "clips" folder; no need to copy the *.dbf files (which only contain info related to the program guide). Since the new HTPC only has 18 GB of HDD space, I had only copied over the files dated 5/9/2001 (the date of the West Wing episode in question), so my educated guess is that one or more of those small *.adtv files contains some sort of enumeration of the files that are available for viewing.

When I get home tonight I will be installing a pair of 60 GB HDD's on the new HTPC to solve the space problem and I'll let everyone know if the transfer is a success. (Copying over 50 GB of "clips" folder from one PC to another will probably take most of the night, so I may not be able to report anything right away...)

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Banned
455 Posts
Cliff,

Just had to chime in--love your picture!

Best,

Pat

[This message has been edited by hifipj (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Hey Tommyboy!

Ha! He got your number!

Kei

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YEEEE-HAAAHHHHH!!!! It worked! It only took ALL NIGHT to transfer 50+ gigabytes of files from the old PC to the new one, but it worked! And since the new PC has no problem fast-forwarding, I was easily able to jump to the point in each file where I had stopped watching.

(If I ever have to do something like this again, I think I'll save myself some trouble and just physically attach the hard disk to the computer as a slave drive--probably faster than trying to transfer a huge hard disk's contents over a 10 Mbps network connection!)

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cliff,

What e-mail? No... nothing in the past couple of days.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it! Thanks Cliff.

Totally off-topic but damn I am so bummed. Thanks to the newfound reliability of accessDTV's fast-forward mechanism I just finished watching the final thirty minutes of last week's episode of The West Wing. I can't believe Aaron Sorkin did what he did to that poor woman! Grr. He must have been on those hallucinogenic mushrooms when he scripted that episode.

Ah well. Here's hoping that The West Wing (and Frasier, and Friends, and Will & Grace, and ER, and all three Law & Orders, and The Practice, and Star Trek: Enterprise, and Ally McBeal, and That 70s Show, and the entire FOX Sunday night lineup) will be broadcast in HDTV for the 2001-02 season!

(Gee, did I miss anything?!)

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Fastfowarding commericials will make HDTV less ecomically viable for the networks.

In fact since there are so few HDTV displays in existance, I calculate you need to watch the comercials at least 117.3 times each.

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
People already timeshift and zip through SDTV commercials--do you really think they're going to watch high-definition ads for tampons? Eeeewwwyuuckkk!

My own personal prediction: Pay TV and more frequent product placements in "free" TV are in our future. Or even a combination of both; have you seen an episode of HBO's The Sopranos lately?

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.