AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theater owners have complained about the idea of same-day disc releases, but tbh I really don't care much for the public theater experience any more. Last few times I went, there were hassles with people talking and kids text-messaging for the entire movie.. very distracting. Studios have warmed to the idea because of the opportunities in simplified marketing and potential increased attention/interest in the released title. But I digress..

I'm wondering if same day theater and disc releases of movies would impact the format war at all? I think it would greatly benefit home HD adoption, especially if the (SD) DVD releases were limited in some way or had no benefit, for example they were the same price as the HD (BD & HD DVD) discs. Theater owners could do some kind of coupon thing, like your movie ticket gets you $5 off the BD/HD DVD disc purchase. Hard to say how it would impact one format more than the other. A neutral studio would have ample time to author a fine product on both formats to be ready for same-day release to disc. This is probably a wash compared to the current situation of exclusive & neutral studios.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I think same day will pretty much destroy the theater, unless they install 4Kx2K digital projection equipment.

Many of us already get a superior PQ and AQ experience in our homes. Some rival whatever theaters can come up with.

And at this point 4Kx2K might get to the home before it sees much installation in theaters.

Gary

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Never hppen. Studios want to make you pay thrice for the movie. Once at the theater since its the only place showing, second on DVD since its available for home purchase, third on HD since you know you want it. Got it?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca /forum/post/0

Never hppen. Studios want to make you pay thrice for the movie. Once at the theater since its the only place showing, second on DVD since its available for home purchase, third on HD since you know you want it. Got it?

It's about margins and running the numbers.

The hot new film on disc would sell well beyond the people that would have seen it in the theater. And the hype would sell to people that might not normally get it on disc, but wait for it on HBO.

In the end, when they figure they can make more off direct-to-disc/day and date with theaters, they will do that. The studios aren't in theater business. They are in the movie business.

Gary

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf /forum/post/0

It's about margins and running the numbers.

The hot new film on disc would sell well beyond the people that would have seen it in the theater. And the hype would sell to people that might not normally get it on disc, but wait for it on HBO.

In the end, when they figure they can make more off direct-to-disc/day and date with theaters, they will do that. The studios aren't in theater business. They are in the movie business.

Gary

Thats right they are in the movie business. Business says that films make more money in theatres than they do at home. Theatres are a must. Then they can still hit you up at home and make even more money.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
At least one of the big studios wants to do day and date release on media and theatre so their must be some merit to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.