AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the DMR-E20 for 1 1/2 years, just got the E80 yesterday.

I have some DVD-R's that are partially recorded using the E20, and I have plans to record additional content onto them using the E80.

So my questions are:

(1) Can I record half of a DVD-R using the E20, and record the remaining half using the E80?

(2) Assuming the above can be done, can I finalize such a disc using either the E20 or E80 ? (my inclination is to use the E80 more because it has the option of choosing fancier menus)

Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I tell ya, I had an HS2 and got my DMR-E100hs last night.

I had a disk unfinished on from my HS2. I didn't want to add more content so I finalized it and it worked.

Another disk, I wanted to add one thing to, (It already had 3 programs on it). I added the 4th and finalized... finalizing failed.

So my guess is you cant add stuff to a disk. but my situation was from an HS2, so it MAY be different.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The system is only backward compatible. You can take a disc recorded on the E-20, E-30, E-50/60, or HS2 and add material or finalize using the E-80 or E-100. Material you add can be dubbed in either standard or high-speed mode.

[Note to NJChris: your finalization failure was probably just an unlucky coincidence of encountering faulty media during your test].

However, you can not high-speed dub a patial disc on the E-80 or E-100 and then finish/finalize the disc on any of the previous DMR-XX series units. If you used standard dubbing mode on the E-80 or E-100, then the disc is tranportable back to an older DMR-series recorder.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld

[Note to NJChris: your finalization failure was probably just an unlucky coincidence of encountering faulty media during your test].
That was the ONLY finalizing problem I've EVER had. That includes going back to my E20K. So, the first time I finalize on the DMR100 with adding content to my HS2 dvd-r, it fails. Quite a coincidence, so to alleviate my curiosity, has ANYONE else used a E100 and added content to an HS2 unfinalized disk and have it work?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NJChris
That was the ONLY finalizing problem I've EVER had. That includes going back to my E20K. So, the first time I finalize on the DMR100 with adding content to my HS2 dvd-r, it fails. Quite a coincidence, so to alleviate my curiosity, has ANYONE else used a E100 and added content to an HS2 unfinalized disk and have it work?
I do it every day. That's why I responded the way I did, and it is also why I characterized your experience as an "unlucky coincidence". What is a lucky coincidence is that you've never befoe experienced a finalization failure. That being the case, I'm sure that if you attempt the test again, you'll be successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.