AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my BFD 1124P in the mail. I also finally got the Room EQ Wizard program to work. How do I set up the two to work together?

Ive think that I can hook-up a microphone to the computer, then computer hooks to reciever, and then have the Rm EQ Wiz optimize my BFD settings automatically. Then I can magically up-load this info into the BFD and VIOLA!

So, what kind of Mic do I need to buy? Do I hook it right to my USB port? What other wires/cables will I need to connect my reciever to my PC? Also, when I look at the Rm EQ Wiz, there are soooo many settings my eyes roll back in my skull when I look at it. I know how to make it do sweeps but how about all the other settings? Theres just too many things to mess with on that program! I'd really like to do it right the first time.

Oh, I also have a RS SPL analog meter and an avia disc. Im tuning a single PC-Ultra sub and plan on adding another PC-Ultra when funds(Wife) permits. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cmon guys, this BFD is burning a hole in my rack. Im dying to use it!!

The BFD is powered up, the Room EQ Wizard is working, the SPL Meter has a fresh battery.............im stuck.

I know...I know..........damn newbie.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I didnt use a mic to calibrate my sub. I just took 1Hz readings from 20-100Hz using my radio shack speaker meter at my listening postion, saved the data in a txt file and uploaded it to the eq wizard. I then manipulated the graph real time and applied the filters.

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm has excellent test tones in 1Hz intervals.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK that sounds simple enough. Take readings manually with the RS meter and avia disc, write it down, convert the readings with the conversion tables, input converted numbers manually into the room EQ program, tweak em as needed to get flat as possible, input into the BFD.

I think even I could do that!

How do I get the filter settings from the EQ wiz to the BFD? Do I have to manually input them or can I just plug in my laptop to the BFD and upload it?

·
Premium Member
24,148 Posts
" I just took 1Hz readings from 20-100Hz using my radio shack speaker meter at my listening postion"

Are you aware that the RS has an output jack, so you can use it as a mike?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do I manually input my readings into the room EQ wiz? When I tried to mess with it, it had a pop-up that says "input is not calibrated" or something. What do I need to do?

I know very little.........can you tell?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Jumping JEIUR(*&(*&Q$#)%U ... would you read the freaking directions for Room EQ Wizard?

;-)

Get some adaptors, read the directions, hook it up, and that program will do it all for you. It really is easy, give it a shot!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick
OK that sounds simple enough. Take readings manually with the RS meter and avia disc, write it down, convert the readings with the conversion tables, input converted numbers manually into the room EQ program, tweak em as needed to get flat as possible, input into the BFD.
You won't be able to use Avia disk for test tones. The Avia disk I have runs a sweep but doesnt specify what frequency is being generated. You need a test tones disk that plays each 1Hz frequency at 5 or 10 second intervals such as the one provided by realtraps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, i got the tones from realtraps and burned em to CD.

Looking at the back of the BFD, it has two inputs and both are the plugs like on a guitar or something. Do I need to get a cable that has the guitar plug on one side and an RCA type plug on the other?

Just to clarify, I hook a cable from my reciever's "sub out" to the BFD. Then hook a cable from the BFD to the sub.

Essentially I would need two new cables. Both with the Guitar Plug on one end and rca on the other. Do I need to go to a music shop to get these or does BEST BUY carry this stuff?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick
Essentially I would need two new cables. Both with the Guitar Plug on one end and rca on the other. Do I need to go to a music shop to get these or does BEST BUY carry this stuff?
That is correct. I'm not sure if BB carries them or not. Your best bet is a guitar store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.