AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few folks here who have reported a very dark picture with their new Samsung 160, using either Component or RGB output, (not sure about DVI). The problem is most visible when looking at a talking head who has a very dark suit on. You can not see any shadows or other detail on the dark areas. This was referred to me as "crushing the blacks". It may appear that the whites are ok, but in fact it could be a whole shift in the levels.

I have this problem (with a replacement 160 also), but this is my first RGB direct connection to my front proj, which was recently ISF aligned. My composite and s-video input to my video processor has no problem. Others have had a component or RGB connection before with a previous stb and had no problem.

If you have this problem, please post info on your setup, so hopefully Samsung can resolve this problem. What would be really helpful is to list what stb you have/had which does not have the darkness problem with either RGB or Component.

tia,

ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi rondi,

I have the samsung SIR t-151 and the composite does seem to be aliitle dark as well.I am using a sony 27'' and the 480i output of the Sammy for the time being till I get my new TV this week .I will be calling samsung on Monday about another issue with changing the horizontal grey bar's to black when using the letterbox mode.I will also find out about a service manual for adjusting my STB.I noticed there is a service input located at the back of the STB, looks like a TRS-80 plug maybe simple RS-232 "Tx,Rx,grd" to get into a service menu to adjust color and other option's maybe,not sure till I call Samsung.

Thank's ,Steve

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mits 65819, ISF-ed

Samsung SIR-TS160

Component output seems dark.........definitely "crushing blacks" (look at a guy in a black suit, cant see the collar). Cranking up the brightness helps, but obviously makes other stuff look washed out. Cant try RGB connection. Svideo (for some reason) looks just about as bad, maybe a tad lighter.

Ive talked with Samsung and the guy Ive been dealing with said he's heard about it a couple times, mainly from people with really high-end setups, and people who have had their TVs calibrated for correct levels. He mentioned someone with a Runco projector saying something about this and the chroma issue.

I will be talking to him again tomorrow........the replacement they sent me for the chroma issue cannot latch onto the HD satellite, and since my locals come off that same satellite its pretty useless. Ill report back if I hear anything about it.........as an aside, I have a feeling at least he (probably others at Samsung) are reading about these issues somewhere on the net. My guess is here, as I havent seen any other forum with such an extensive thread about this product.

-Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
You may be experienceing what's been called a "red push" or "high chroma" problem elsewhere in this forum. Search on one of these terms and you can do some research. Basically the problem seems to be a high level of red in the picture. I'm not sure if this is what's causing your problem, but it's worth investigating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.